“Picture is worth a 1000 words”

Sultan's Eye Comfort Hotel
Ranked #981 of 1,155 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Picture is worth a 1000 words”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I had the misfortune to choose this hotel. I now understand why a one-night deposite had to be paid before i stayed. I would Never again stay at this hotel. I had already paid and when i saw the room - i was shocked. The reception told me the Hotel was full and there was no other rooms available. So i stayed one night only.

Room Tip: Don't belive the official website - and see the rooms before you pay any money.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Peter D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Location was good - close to Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, etc., but there are many other hotels in this area. Room was very small, shower was terrible (low pressure and the shower head kept falling off the wall), room was noisy from the street traffic. Breakfast was okay, but not great.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Baku, Azerbaijan
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I arrived on a sweltering July day, with a small kid and a luggage, to find out that our room is on the third floor, there is no elevator in this "comfort" hotel, no bellboy available and a spiral staircase to boot!

The receptionist, seeing the kid, immediately told me he will cost extra. When asked why, since there is no surcharge for kids on their website, he said that information is "old", but I can pay the surcharge of 15 euros per night instead of 20. He demanded I pay outright. I was in no condition to argue, but only because I was very tired and had an important meeting in an hour at another end of Istanbul.

But the worst of all was the room. It was 7 square metres ( 75 square feet), together with a bathroom! Literally half of the entire space was taken by an ordinary bed. The room was so small that there was not enough space for towel hooks in the bathroom - I had to hang them on the top of the sliding door.

When I asked the reception that since I pay extra for the kid, could he at least upgrade us to a larger room, I was told there are no rooms available. I tried to book into the hotel using booking.com and found that at least 4 rooms were unbooked.

Overall impression: unfriendly, misleading, terrible rip-off.

In fairness, Wi-Fi connection was working OK, the room was clean when we arrived and cleaned next day, and breakfast quality was on par with Turkish budget hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank HafizQayib

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We made a reservation with Sultan's Eye for 5 nights. On their website it clearly states in multiple places that a stay of at least 3 nights includes a free transfer from Ataturk Airport, which I requested along with the reservation. An associate emailed me back an said the transfer would be 25 Euros. I replied, pointing out their website policy and the next day a different person replied to me saying they know their website SAYS that, but in reality they are no longer offering that. Oh and by the way, now they are going to charge me 30 Euros for the transfer! Well, great. That's actually the reason we chose them over another hotel we were considering, because that's a good value. I know this isn't Ameria, but....false advertising much?

Secondly, just as far as being inhospitable, the day we were leaving for the trip, my father passed away, and we could not go. Just a few hours after I was notified of his death, I diligently emailed Sultan's Eye to let them know we would not be at the airport for the pick-up and had to cancel our reservation. I never received even an email back from them, confirming they had received my email, much less that they appreciated that I went out of my way to prevent any undue burden for them of driving out to the airport, etc. And if I could take the time to do that courtesy for them while dealing with the death of my father, I would certainly think they could do me the courtesy of replying and confirming how they were going to handle my cancellation. By looking at my credit card activity, I see that they did charge us for what looks like one night's stay, which would seem to be consistent with their cancellation policy on their website (amazing!). I certainly won't fault them for actually being consistent in that regard (and we have travel insurance to help us with any financial losses like this), but clearly they don't provide even basic courtesies, much less going above and beyond. We are rescheduling our trip now, and certainly won't be staying with them.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pkt63
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Location of this hotel is fantastic, very close to restaurants, shops and major attractions like the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia and Topkapi Palace.

Staff were friendly however on my arrival I was told I had been ‘upgraded’ to the Junior Suite which happened to be on the 3rd floor (no lift!!), the receptionist did take a couple of bags then on my last suitcase he just put his hands up saying he was busy! This was at midnight and nothing was really happening so he obviously wasn’t interested in a tip! So even though I was tired from my travels I had to take my own bag up 3 flights of stairs!

Suite was basically a normal room with a bigger bathroom and a Jacuzzi, which after sightseeing and walking all day was nice. Did leak though and even though I reported and they claimed to have fixed I still had the same problem!

Room did have dim lighting so we had to keep the bathroom light on in the evenings, I think this was being addressed as there were 2 wires sticking out of the ceiling. Room was cleaned daily.

Had to keep the bathroom closed as smelt of raw sewage at times and the heating was on full blast which I had to turn down with valves on either side of the radiator.

Don't rely on the Wi-Fi as signal was very poor and kept dropping, best signal was in reception area and breakfast area downstairs. Were allowed to use the Wi-Fi of Amiral Palace opposite but that wasn’t much better. There was a laptop in the corner in the lobby but most of the time it was occupied. Even though breakfast advertised as on the roof terrace I think this is no more as looked like our room had been the terrace! Breakfast was basic but ok, bread, cheese, meats and spreads.

Overall room was ok but having passed other rooms on my way up and down they looked very small indeed, so unless you are staying in the Suite I couldn’t recommend as over Easter the rooms were not cheap!

Having said that if you want decent standard accommodation you would need to pay a lot more.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We ended up here on arrival having been bumped from the nearby Apex Hotel despite having a direct confirmation of our booking.

I am at something of a loss how to describe this hotel as I don't think I have stayed anywhere like it before. The location is great, a stroll to restaurants and sights and transport. The staff were very friendly and did make an effort. The hotel has 11 rooms and is really more like a B&B than a hotel as one might know it.

The decor was pretty shocking, something like an impoverished belly-dancer's boudoir. We had the best room in the place which cost us over euro120 a night, that said it was Easter. It was the 'suite', apparently, although is was only a small bedroom and bathroom. There is no lift so after a day out trekking around the 50 steps up to our room were painful.

Some of the elements in the room were old and stained, the bed-cover, the arm-chair. There were maintenance issues, no wall-hook for the shower hose, random heating, random wi-fi, random availability of TV channels and so on. The lighting was very poor, and with no bedside lights you could not read a book or an e-book reader in bed (well, you couldn't anywhere in the room really after sunset. Although one pm I had to put a chair in the bathroom to be able to read!).

The place is small and old, so noise transmits. We were woken by people arriving post-midnight and leaving pre-dawn in the neighbouring room.

As said the location was very handy but if we go again we'll definitely stay further out of the centre, as the hotels in this area really do not justify the price (to think of the luxury you'd get out in Asia at euro120 a night!), and transport in the city is very simple and good value.

So, something of an enigma. A shame as the location is good and the staff really do make an effort.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonGenie
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The price for the hotel was exceptional and the room was very clean (daily housekeeping), quiet and comfortable with an ensuite bathroom, TV, tea making and extra seating area. Free wifi and breakfast (extensive buffett style perfect for setting you up for the day) was also included in the price. The staff were very friendly and helpful - even printing my online baording pass so i didnt need to find an internet cafe!!! The location was fantastic and very close to a number of local attractions (Haggia Sofia, Blue Mosque etc) but was also in a quieter area away from the noise. I would highly recommend this hotel and when I visit Turkey off season again will use this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple