“Cheap but not Cheerful”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Yunus Emre
Ranked #917 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 11 May 2011

When I booked this hotel I made sure I sent a message explaining that we'd be arriving at 5am so I had booked the night prior as well. When we got there they told us they thought we weren't coming and we were lucky they hadn't give our room away because everywhere in Istanbul was full that night. It then took 20 mins of explaining the arrival time and booking of the extra night because of it before we finally got to our room.
The window was wide open, the room was freezing and the bathroom was dirty and smelt bad.
In the mornings the walls were wet with condensation and the bathroom was right next to the breakfast room so the smell of eggs came through the air vent and made the whole room smell like eggs.
Breakfast wasn't very good and when we ordered eggs they didn't make them for us.

On the upside it was quite cheap and right next to the Blue Mosque.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MagsNZ
There are newer reviews for Hotel Yunus Emre

Reviewed 8 May 2011

I made a reservation trough venere. com which so far for me has been a reliable site. not anymore. so: I stayed in this hotel 5 nights and experienced the strangest "hospitality" ever. and this was my 14th visit to istanbul. after I checked in (they asked me to pay at the moment of check in and money payed was non-refundable) I was given a room in the 4th floor next to the kitchen. after spending there 10 minutes I asked to change a room because I could hear every single movement of every dish. so I was moved to room nr. 202. room was pretty ok, spacious, with pretty big batroom. in their website this hotel promises view form the terrace. maybe in summer season. and even then I believe you can see promised blue mosque only sitting in one corner of the terrace as long as you are not owl. it was cold so - no terrace.
breakfast was ok. basic, but proper.
when I came back to the hotel in the second day I realised the room was not put in the order. the same was in the third day. I asked in the reception, they promised to clean it up. so - THE ROOM WAS NOT PUT IN ORDER DURING ALL 5 DAYS OF MY STAY - no clean towels, no cleaned up bathroom and room, no waste taken out.
and another one thing - nobody in the reception if you come to the hotel late at night. so basically I could choose to take any key.
the website says there are safety boxes in the rooms. maybe there are, but in mine wasnt. inet - both times I asked if there is a possibility to use computer I got answer it is broken.
regarding pictures on their website - there was a good photographer, reality is much more shabby. or those pictures were taken long time ago.
so overall - the most impersonal hotel I have seen in Istanbul.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2011

i stayed at this hotel for over two weeks and me and the children had a good time here.there is a computer wuth internet, good buffet breakfast and friendly staff. if you are looking for a good hotel with the basics:clean rooms, 24hr hot showers,perfect location and friendly staff,this is the one for you.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We try to come every year..We love Turkey, and we stayed at Yunus Emre Hotel many times, each time we like it better. Very clean, very friendly, and most of all we feel very safe. Hotel is walking distance to everyting: Transportation, all important sites..You can not find better place in Istanbul far as the price, location , acomodations and the staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I have stayed 5 times at this hotel so it must be doing something right. The owners are friendly and helpful and the hotel is well-located and very reasonable in price. It is not perfect (walls of rooms are very thin, beds are comfotable enough but the bed frames are badly designed - take care not to bash your knee against it, Wi-Fi doesn't work throughput the hotel, breakfast is basic and could be upgraded a little and start earlier than it does - 8.00 AM is very late for tourists who want to get an early start to see the sights) but these are relatively small niggles. I do not expect perfection in a hotel of this rating and price range. I have stayed in many 5-star hotels that charge as much as the Yunus Emre's day-rate just for use of an internet service which this hotel provides free of charge.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We stayed here with our teenager children. The hotel is very well located, around the corner from the Blue Mosque, in a pleasant area. Staff are friendly and really very helpful. The rooms were clean and well equipped. There is even free internet. Very much recommended. We had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I have just read through reviews from last year and take exception to the whining and complaining of a few of last year's visitors. I stayed there on 4 occasions with small groups of over 50'travelers....and on EVERY occasion - everyone was totally happy with all aspects of the hotel...I am now booked back in April and June and have 8 clients staying there in May. I look forward to breakfasts on that fabulous patio over- looking the Marmaris ....and to fun take out meals from the DOY DOY Restaurant across the street....Sadly some tourists desire Four Season's quality for a typical local pension! Judy S-Kelowna BC

• Stayed: May 2009