“Not such a good experience”
Review of Hotel Yunus Emre

Hotel Yunus Emre
Ranked #993 of 1,181 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I had booked a room in another hotel through Expedia. After a long flight from Chicago, I got there just to find out that the hotel did not have any rooms available! To make a long story short, a middle man brought me to Yunus Emre hotel and I told the person at the front desk about the situation. He said he has a room with three beds and asked for $150 for one night (I told him that I want to stay there for only one night and will decide whether I want to stay longer later). I agreed since I did not know the area and did not have any other choice. The next day after a good night sleep, I went walking around looking for another hotel. I found a much better room with 3 beds (I didn't ask for 3 beds; it was just there) in another hotel about 3 minutes walking distance from Yunus Emre for $50 a night. When I was checking out of Yunus Emre I told the front desk that what he did was not fair. His response was that customers negotiate for a lower rate and we do the opposite and ask for a higher rate whenever we can. He said this goes both ways and I should not be unhappy about it!

This hotel is in a good location and is clean. However, the building is old (like many other buildings in the old town) and other than the bathroom and roof terrace (that is used for serving breakfast) there hasn't been much renovations. You'll get a gigantic key and key chain to your room, the TV and heating/cooling system is old, there is a small old elevator, ...
With three beds in my room there was not much space left for luggage and I had to put my luggage on one of the beds.

Overall, I think you can find a better hotel for the price nearby.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank TravelerSP2010

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I have stayed here three times when in Istanbul - it is very basic, when I was there some of the guests were locals, I personally really liked the laid back come and go as you please atmosphere. They also picked me up from the airport free of charge. The location is perfect for sightseeing, it is not somewhere where you would look to stay for a romantic trip, but ideal for a value for money and clean base.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank davidacm
Reviewed 5 November 2011

this year we've been there a few nights in spring and summer like the past 3 years from our first Istanbul visit , we feel like home , very helping manager and stafs .

Room Tip: rooms on the 3rd floor and street side are better
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We got into Istanbul and decided to go to Hotel Yunus Emre because of their really good directions from the airport on their website. We got in and got a room. The room was TINY and I thought the floor was going to cave in. Breakfast was okay...basic, but they had a terrace so that was nice. The hotel staff didn't seem overly friendly or eager to help us find stuff to do. The next morning we wandered around the neighborhood and found a much better place with the same price. We promptly checked out and are now enjoying a much larger, cleaner more comfortable room. Use their directions to get to the neighborhood and then walk around and find a better place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jaimemccallum
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Past experience tells me that it is wise to book hotels in advance when arriving in Istanbul. Sometimes there is lots of availability, while other times there is some event meaning rooms are in short supply. So, I booked this hotel - but the booking site is external to the hotel, and when you try to cancel you get an error page. No email to get a response either. That's the first negative point.

Arrival at hotel was fine, and room was ok, although no view at all. We had booked too many days and the reception were helpful in cancelling the extra days. Breakfast on roof is ok, but similar to what you get elsewhere in Istanbul.

Would I stay here again? I think there are better places at the same or cheaper price in the same area. Also, the booking procedure (not being able to cancel) put me off.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2011

When I booked this hotel I made sure I sent a message explaining that we'd be arriving at 5am so I had booked the night prior as well. When we got there they told us they thought we weren't coming and we were lucky they hadn't give our room away because everywhere in Istanbul was full that night. It then took 20 mins of explaining the arrival time and booking of the extra night because of it before we finally got to our room.
The window was wide open, the room was freezing and the bathroom was dirty and smelt bad.
In the mornings the walls were wet with condensation and the bathroom was right next to the breakfast room so the smell of eggs came through the air vent and made the whole room smell like eggs.
Breakfast wasn't very good and when we ordered eggs they didn't make them for us.

On the upside it was quite cheap and right next to the Blue Mosque.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MagsNZ
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I made a reservation trough venere. com which so far for me has been a reliable site. not anymore. so: I stayed in this hotel 5 nights and experienced the strangest "hospitality" ever. and this was my 14th visit to istanbul. after I checked in (they asked me to pay at the moment of check in and money payed was non-refundable) I was given a room in the 4th floor next to the kitchen. after spending there 10 minutes I asked to change a room because I could hear every single movement of every dish. so I was moved to room nr. 202. room was pretty ok, spacious, with pretty big batroom. in their website this hotel promises view form the terrace. maybe in summer season. and even then I believe you can see promised blue mosque only sitting in one corner of the terrace as long as you are not owl. it was cold so - no terrace.
breakfast was ok. basic, but proper.
when I came back to the hotel in the second day I realised the room was not put in the order. the same was in the third day. I asked in the reception, they promised to clean it up. so - THE ROOM WAS NOT PUT IN ORDER DURING ALL 5 DAYS OF MY STAY - no clean towels, no cleaned up bathroom and room, no waste taken out.
and another one thing - nobody in the reception if you come to the hotel late at night. so basically I could choose to take any key.
the website says there are safety boxes in the rooms. maybe there are, but in mine wasnt. inet - both times I asked if there is a possibility to use computer I got answer it is broken.
regarding pictures on their website - there was a good photographer, reality is much more shabby. or those pictures were taken long time ago.
so overall - the most impersonal hotel I have seen in Istanbul.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo