“A good place to stay”

Ranked #23 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Melbourne, Australia
“A good place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a good friendly hotel well located for the grand bazaar and the tram line. It is a good base for touring as you only need to walk up a short hill to the tramway. It is also a short (15 minute) walk from the major attractions of the Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia, plus a longer walk (30-40 mins) to the waterfront (ferries etc) at Eminonu.
Staff at the hotel are very eager to please and provide an excellent service with Kemal and Oguz (Oz) speaking excellent English. The Terrace restaurant is a great way to start the day with breakfast overlooking the Bosphorous Sea. We have visited twice and would recommend this hotel to friends and family

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The hotel's location can't be beat. The staff was extremely kind and helpful. The breakfast buffet was extraordinary. They have complementary coffee and tea in the afternoon on the rooftop which gives you an excellent view of the city.
I will definitely return to this hotel next fall.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Ruesga
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The reviews are spot on this is a wonderful hotel. Plenty to see and do within easy walking distance. The hotel is beautiful but it's the staff that makes it somewhere very special. I highly recommend this hotel. Thank you Hotel Niles.

Room Tip: We stayed in a duplex suite M2. A double bed downstairs and two single beds upstairs. Really nice ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pauljgrey
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Niles from May 16th through May 20th and loved every minute of it. This hotel is located off the main tram route on a small street in more of a true local business area (not a big tourist neighborhood.) We loved that because it gave us a chance to get away from the noise and crowds and give us a glimpse in to what I think may be a little bit more real section of life. We had the junior suite which was big and comfortable. Our view was the street view which we loved and except for when we opened the windows was still very quiet. The inside of the hotel is really lovely especially the rooftop terrace. A bonus is the bar on the terrace which is open pretty much 24 hours and the prices are good. The view is wonderful and hearing the call to prayer from there was an amazing experience. The hotel staff was the nicest I have experienced anywhere, especially Kemal, Ossman and "Adam" (I hope I am close to spelling those correct.) We felt we were in a very elegant home with any need ready to be met. We hope to return to Istanbul one day and we will definitely make the Hotel Niles our home if we do. Thank you to all there!

3 Thank beachfan101
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My wife and I just completed a 10 night stay at Hotel Niles. We had a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel. We stayed in a junior suite so we had a hamam in our room. We only used it once after a day touring in the rain but it was very nice. The floor in the bathroom is always kept heated which was nice for us but may be a problem during hot weather.Hacer at the front desk is a real gem. She was always very helpful. The walk to the Grand Bazaar is just 5 minutes and to the Blue Mosque just about 15 minutes. After a day we used the tram to get around which is just 3 minutes away. The location is very quiet.

Room Tip: We stayed in 112 which worked very well for us. The room looked out on other buildings instead of a...
1 Thank Theodore M
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

CONDITIONS OF STAY:

-5 night stay from November 20th - November 25th, 2012
-Reservation for 2 people in a “Double Room” at 72EUR/night
-This was my wife and I’s one-year anniversary trip. After reading the extremely positive reviews on TA and comparing it to other hotels in the city in the same price-range, we decided to go with the Niles. Boy, are we glad we did.

INTRODUCTION:

When you get past the Parises, the Romes, and the other major cities Americans love to travel to, to those places a little further afield, you have a couple of options...first, you can go the safe-route and stick to the names you know, spending extra money to be secure in the knowledge that your hotel in this new place will be like the one you stayed at that time you went to Disney World (and thank god it is, because you absolutely don’t want to have to learn too many phrases in that new language). Second, you can take a chance on a local business and hope that, since they too want to make as many tourists dollars as possible, they can provide service that makes you feel like you’re at home (or, in some cases, in a nicer place than your house). The more “exotic” the locale the greater the desire to go with option #1. I beg you, in this instance, please go route #2.

I remember circles. Alot of them. Confusion was pretty abundant in our part of the car which the hotel had arranged for us. Up until we actually breached the city walls (or what remains of them) our trip was a nice straight-line. Early-morning layover in Amsterdam (with cappuccinos by a canal), a drink on the second leg, and then a nice man holding a sign with our names on it. Pleasant, if uneventful.

It was really overcast but the sea was still beautiful. She talked about going for a run along the path that ran by the Sea of Marmara. I kept looking at the ancient walls bordering the town. Less imposing than I thought they’d be but exciting none-the-less. It was probably around 4:30 by this time and already getting quite dark. Gloominess is the constant companion of the off-season traveler.

Our car made a swift left, then right, then left. We were now in the Sultanahmet area of the city and it seemed as though the sun had been called to prayer, because the remaining light disappeared as quickly as the many shop-keepers had disappeared into the nearby mosques. As the driver kept making turn after turn through the rising and falling streets, one question gnawed at me...does the world need this many ugly bags and wallets? Because every “Old Town”-area of every city has THOUSANDS of them. Before I could answer that question our car stopped, right in the middle of an intersection.. I KNEW IT! This guy was going to tell me that he couldn’t find the hotel and that he might remember for 50 euros. Before I could scream “TAKE ME TO MY EMBASSY!”, a man came RUNNING down the sloped street that ran perpendicular to us. He waved and smiled. He had a name tag...it read “Hotel Niles”.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST IMPRESSION:

The Niles is highly ranked on TA for a reason. While its not a “luxury” hotel by any means, it has many charming features that will give you moments of luxury.

First, the hotel is CLEAN. While its a budget property you will not feel like you sacrificed your basic humanity upon entering (which I have experienced at similarly priced establishments). The decor will have you instantly feeling like you’re in a far-off place, though not in the Indiana Jones-sense. It strikes the perfect balance between inviting and intriguing. During check-in you are given complimentary tea and “Turkish Delight”, which is a wonderful way to relax after a long bit of travel. The lobby area is small, but wonderfully decorated and the front-desk staff are all fluent in English, can provide REAL recommendations (they won’t direct you to over-priced tourist spots in hopes of a kick-back), and are extremely courteous.

I should pause here to note two things: One, like many hotels of this ilk the elevators are on the smaller side and the staircases are narrow. If you have packed heavy (multiple large suitcases) be forewarned. Two, and this is a HUGE TIP, if you can plan on PAYING IN CASH AT CHECK-IN. You’ll save 10% (this offer is always good). They’ll except euros AND American dollars, which can be a godsend if you’re like me and hate exchanging money at airports.

We arrived here at night and one thing you have to know is that the immediate area is DEAD once the sun goes down. The blocks surrounding the hotel are full of mom-and-pop shops and restaurants, the vast majority which close when the dismissal bell rings. There are also hotels that don’t seem all that different from the Niles from the outside. Lots of them. There must be 3-4 within a 2-minute walk. My point is that this area is not a hub of activity at night and, frankly, I could see it being foreboding to a single female traveler (but only at night).

One other thing to note, and I find this important enough to mention now, is that the street that the Niles is on is a rather steep one. This place is called “The City of Seven Hills” for a reason. The main road (which you will be walking to every time you do anything) is UP one of these hills. For healthy travelers with lots of energy this is not a big deal. For those that have trouble getting around or are dealing with something like a stroller it could definitely be a hassle, especially when you’re doing it day after day.

THE ROOM:

If you read my other reviews on TA, you’ll see that we tend to stay at mid-range properties, preferring to spend our money on activities and food rather than the hotel room. Because of that, I’ve started to notice that there are there are only a couple of factors that vary widely from hotel to hotel in this price range…

The first is cleanliness. In this regard the Niles was spectacular. I can’t say I would’ve eaten my dinner off the floor, but I had no problem observing the 5-second-rule when I dropped a piece of Turkish Delight on the ground. The bedding and linens were clean and weren’t worn down. There were no obvious signs of wear on any fixtures, including those in the bathroom. The bathroom itself was spotless, and surprisingly comfortable. We really appreciated the “Hotel Niles”-branded (!!!) shampoos and soaps. An easy souvenir to get us started.

The second issue, room size, is a more modest success for the Niles. For their standard “Double Room” it was perfectly acceptable, but by no means the largest I’ve had at this price (see my review of the Hotel Colbert for what I would consider a large room in this range: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187212-d611537-r170543447-Hotel_Le_Colbert-Avignon_Vaucluse_Provence.html#REVIEWS). The bathroom was decently sized with a stand-up shower, toilet (reasonable water pressure, nothing spectacular), and sink. There was little to no extra counter space in the bathroom.

I have noticed in their photos of the double rooms on their website that they seemed to have changed the decor. Our rooms did not look what are currently pictured, but more of the classic blue/white scheme pictured in some of their other rooms. The furnishings were cute and enhanced the feel of the hotel.

One major thing I should mention is that our room had a window facing the street the hotel entrance is on. You have to remember this is Istanbul and you will be staying in the old city. You will hear noise during the day and YOU WILL HEAR THE CALL TO PRAYER IN THE MORNING. Its really fabulous actually, one of the most beautiful and haunting things you’ll ever hear. But the first time it occurred we had hardly slept and it definitely woke us up.

The room amenities are of the standard type, but I should say that their inclusion of wifi is a nice addition.

Overall our room deserved a 4 out of 5.

BEST HOTEL PERK!!!:

Istanbul was perhaps my favorite trip that my wife and I have taken. And while the city is incredible in many regards, the one thing I remember most is sitting on the rooftop balcony at breakfast time, eating pomegranates and simit, drinking that “american” coffee you can only get overseas, and watching the blue water of the sea in the distance. I have NEVER been so content in my life.

The restaurant/terrace, accessed by a spiral staircase from the floor below, is well-sized (it never felt crowded) and open at all times of day, including at night, where you can sit and enjoy a glass of wine while reflecting on where you are. This space, in my opinion, takes the hotel from merely very good to great.

I cannot recommend this enough!!!

FOOD:

There are a couple of interesting things regarding food about this hotel. First, the aforementioned breakfast. My god. After Istanbul my wife and I spent the summer in Paris around the corner from one of the highest-rated patisseries… and we STILL talk about that Hotel Niles breakfast as legendary. The food felt fresh and of high quality, nothing like the usual budget-hotel breakfast you often get in other European countries. It was the usual spread of fruits, breads, and the like. But just MUCH better.

In fairness we never ate any other meal at the hotel, so I can’t comment on that, but we did grab some nightcaps of wine late at night. Nothing too special or expensive.

Speaking of alcohol...I’ll admit it, I drink. One of my great joys on vacations is starting my day with a shot of alcohol in my coffee. Irish whiskey in Dublin, grappa in Venice...you get the idea. Which is why I feel the need to bring up one thing...YOU ARE VISITING A DIFFERENT COUNTRY, and in each place they do things differently. I asked the gentleman tending to the hotel breakfasts if I could get a shot of Raki for my coffee. I was, however politely, denied. And, when I say politely, I mean the guy was laughing and joking with me (incredibly politely) about how funny that would be, as though I was the one joking. But I was serious. And so was he, I was not getting any.

Now, for someone who comes from a country where the “customer is always right” (and having been a waiter for years myself), that irks me beyond belief. But hey...his house, his rules. Now, I don’t know if that had to do with the part of town I was in (you are in the Old City, near the historical sites and more overtly religious) or just the guy, but still. Something for you to know.

One incredibly important note: there is a small grocery a few steps down the street perpendicular to the hotel entrance. It was a godsend when it came to fulfilling later-at-night hunger/thirst needs. Search it out and get to know it.

2 SIDES OF 1 COIN:

Food, or lack of, plays a role in what you need to know next. One of the great things about the hotel is its downfall… the location.

I researched this trip extensively before we arrived and I had Google Mapped the area around the hotel so much I could practically find my way around the minute we arrived. As a first-time visitor, the location seemed perfect. Being in the Fatih district, you are less than 10-minutes by foot to the Grand Bazaar, less than a 10-minute tram-ride to Hagia Sophia, and less than 15-minutes by foot to the Basilica Cistern. You are also right off a major tram line (the T1), which you will use to get to the major historical attractions, the Eminonu ferry terminal, and all the way across the Golden Horn. But as I soon discovered at night, when you want to be out and about searching for a nice place to eat or grab a drink, you will FEEL MILES AWAY from anything. While Ordu Caddesi (the main road you will be using everyday) has some places to eat within a 5-minute walk, they are of dubious quality and are your typical tourist-traps, even offering overtly American-sounding food (perfect for appeasing that toddler who won’t shut up about chicken nuggets). The immediate area to the hotel is practically devoid of dining options at night and its practically devoid of life in general. After you have seen those major sites, when you want to get into really exploring life in the city, the location provides you no advantages.

Istanbul is a big, sprawling city, and every neighborhood truly does have its distinct identities. The vibrant scene of Istiklal Caddesi, the urban-feel of Galata, and the hip (almost Brooklyn-y) vibe of Kadikoy are all so intriguing, and action-packed, that I feel the next time we go to Istanbul (which we are planning on), we’ll opt for those areas of town to stay in, even if we have to pay a bit more for the equivalent quality of hotel.

None of this is to say that the you should not stay here because of this issue, but it is a choice you have to make. For most, traveling to Istanbul will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, and you have to ask yourself what features are important to you.

NOTE FOR THOSE TRAVELING WITH KIDS/DISABILITIES:

HILLS!!! COBBLESTONES!!! Oy vey...its one of the sadder aspects of travel how hard it can be on those with mobility issues to really enjoy and explore these ancient cities. Unfortunately, you will have to deal with these right outside the hotel door and all over Istanbul. Sorry to break it to you.

And for those with children or others that are considered vulnerable, I can’t stress enough how dead this place is at night OR how easy it can be to get lost. Consider that.

VALUE:

This is where the Niles can’t be beat. When all the factors are taken into account - cost, location, service, reputation, that INCREDIBLE breakfast on the terrace (okay, I’ll shut up about it) - the Niles is worth every penny, and more. I’ve stayed at a lot of hotels and the Niles is the only one I felt I underpaid.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

For those who love to travel, Istanbul is practically the ideal location. Anything and everything you could possibly want to explore is there. Food, art, religion, architecture, music...the list is endless. The Hotel Niles offers a clean, safe, and convenient location for the first-time visitor to Istanbul, in addition to great value for your dollar. Those in need of more of a nightlife should look elsewhere.

This is an instance where I wish TA would let me give half a star because my overall grade would be 4.5 OUT OF 5.

EXTRA RANDOM TIPS:

1. Pay cash, get 10% off.

2. EXPLORE THE FOOD OF ISTANBUL!!! There are a myriad of websites and TV shows devoted to this topic and its a wonderful way to give yourself reasons to visit different neighborhoods.

3. Take an early morning walk around the hotel (before 6am)...trust me, you’ll be glad you did.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TravelinDandy
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great family owned Hotel with outstanding service ,very comfortable accommodation , Hotel Niles made our 4 day trip to Istanbul perfect , staff very much an asset to Hotel ,was lent waterproof jacket on very wet day by staff member .