“Very Cool Hotel!”

and 1 more site!
Sozbir Royal Residence Hotel
Ranked #920 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The hotel was very beautiful! It was a nice Turkish experience. The room was like an apartment and was very big. The style was very Turkish fab. The pool was very nice with a view of the Bospherous also the rooms have an amazing view! The pool played great music during the day..Very hip. The staff was very nice also. I would for sure stay here again and recommend hotel to friends visiting Istanbul. It is on the European side but the ferry is right in front of hotel. The ferry is only 1.75 Turkish lire so very easy and inexpensive

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Minnie92

Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel from June 19th to 24th 2011 for business in Uskdar area. The breakfast is quite average as there was not enough options to pick from for European guests. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was quite OK but not to European standards. The rooms are all with sea view so this is the only good thing about this hotel. The Pool is closed every day at 5 pm as they organise Weddings and events outside so Hotel guests cannot use this after this time; which is a total deal breaker after a full days work and 28º temperature. Staff in the hotel are very friendly, but they do not have any English. Rooms were not cleaned throughout either, carpets are filthy and TV was poor as it was only Turkish channels. Do not accept to be put in one of their "Apartments" as they are at the back of the Hotel, going up and down the stairs accross the street.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Marti-Gonzalez
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I will never forget the view of the bosphorus from our room. Our room was really big, we stayed there just one night so I don't really know anything about the service. breakfast wasn't good.
But I would definitely recomend to stay at Sözbir for one night and enjoy the view.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank turkuaztasdemir
Reviewed 7 August 2010

The location of this hotel couldn't be better. Right on the banks of the Bosphorus and just a few minute walk from the main Uskudar shopping area. And the ferry port is literally across the road. The main hotel is decorated to a great standard and the view from the outdoor swimming pool and restaurant is wonderful. But I quickly left the hotel just days after arriving...

If you do choose to stay here, make sure they put you in the main hotel. When I was offered a cheaper room "at the back side of the hotel", I assumed they meant I would get a view of the city instead of a view of the Bosphorus. I didnt realise "the back side of the hotel" meant a different building across the road!

The hotel facilities are adequate. I was given a reasonably clean serviced apartment, which was nice enough and you could take a 2 minute walk to the local corner shop to buy your drinks, snacks and groceries - thereby avoiding the ridiculous minibar prices.

A previous comment talked about the cleaning staff going through your stuff. I don't know if that happened to me. My stuff generally seemed untouched. But the safe did not work properly so there was nowhere to put my valuables, so they sat in my suitcase as thy staff refused to even put my passport in their hotel safe for me. Cleaning staff also didn't really empty the bins properly.

Hotel is fine. A little expensive but no worse than most other hotels here. The view is stunning, but during summer the restaurant is regularly booked for weddings, so you may not be able to enjoy that view during dinner and will have to make do with a table inside where you don't really get a view.

Wifi internet coverage was patchy. I could receive emails just fine, but outbound emails from my outlook failed to send - which is a common problem with Hotel Wifi on the Asian side of Istanbul.

The incident that will ensure I never go back here happened on my third night. I came back to the hotel and it had been cleaned as usual. All good i thought, until I pulled back the covers and to my horror discovered a DEAD SQUASHED COCKROACH sitting under the bed covers! I wish I was kidding but this is 100% true. I had locked the doors and windows before I went out, so it couldn't have come in that way. Also it was squashed, dead and perfectly placed sitting under the covers of the bed, which makes me think someone killed it and put it under my covers. I can't imagine why anyone would do this, as I keep a very clean room and would never have caused any hassle for the housekeeping staff. I was hardly there except to sleep.

This incident really put me off sleeping there that night and the next morning I checked out and moved to a much nicer hotel on the European side of Istanbul - more touristic i know but at least they know all about service and cleanliness. My next hotel called "Seven Hills" in the Sultanahmet area was about 100 times better. (I will review that here on TripAdvisor too to explain why.)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Zillimeter
Reviewed 10 July 2009

I had the best experience during my stay in the hotel. it was marvelous with a sea facing room, good food and friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Unlike the other review, I have a lot of good things to say about this hotel. Although i would like to first point out that I was here for business and was staying in the Royal Suite. It was spacious and had such a fantastic view. I had many breakfasts sitting by the window looking out to the Bosphorus.
It is true that some staff do not speak english but I managed to befriend two who did and I called them directly when I needed something.
Location wise, this place cannot be better for the price it charges. It is 5 minutes walk from the ferry station to go to the european side. The ride costed YTL1 each way!

I was not impressed with the food at the hotel but there are many options available not far from it.

My room was very clean including the jacuzzi tub. They always made my bed during the day and cleaned up well.
The lobby is a bit over done but it is cultural so I think it adds some local flavour to the place. I like that it is not an international chain hotel but a local one.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank pige_paa_ferie
Reviewed 1 October 2006

I came to Istanbul for a 6 weeks business trip and my first days in this city were to be made easier by staying in this hotel, which our company has been using for a while.
While superb location on the Asian side of Istanbul in terms of transport and a great view of the Bosphorus, I can mention other highlights of this hotel.
The staff refer to their colleagues as "my friend" and they seem to be friendly and ready to help. However, their English is limited to several words and they often greet you Good evening when you go for your breakfast at 7am.. But this is not why I am writing this review.
The first thing that struck me was that in the hotel information it says, that in 2005 the hotel will complete the construction of Hamam (Turkish bath) and that there will also be an indoor pool. While the pool is definitely only outdoor and unheated , hence useless after summertime, when I asked for Hamam and pointed to the hotel information, the manager told me with a big smile on his face, that 'we are still building it....'. No need to say that there is no sign of any construction at the hotel...
The next surprise was waiting for me in the shower. The rooms are fine, with quite nice design and quite spacious and the bathroom looks good as well. There are some minor defects on the walls but it is ok. However,I was very suprised to find out that in the showertub, one of the door is missing! So, though trying hard not to splash water around, during my shower, there was still a lot of water on the floor.
It took 3 days, 10 hotel staff and a drawing to explain what is the problem in my bathroom.HOwever after 5 days, the door is still missing. 2nd day: hot water supply cut off in my room and they still would not let me change to another room at least for the shower as I was late for a morning meeting.
The cleaners like to browse through your stuff and read your materials, so be careful about that.
On friday night, i had several error phone calls into my room and at 2am room someone knocked on my door saying I ordered room service. Again, an angry call to the reception hardly made any difference as they could not understand me.
The food is ok but the breakfast menu does not change at all and is not that tasty to keep you looking forward to stuffing your tummy in the morning after 2-3 days.
The hotel restaurant is clearly based on its superb view of the European side of Bosphorus and not on the cuisine. The food is fine, but not that excellent to be charging that much.
Was this all happening somewhere in Europe, Singapore-like Asian countries or the USA, I would be already sitting in a upgraded room with a vouched for a free weekend stay next year. At Sozbir, you they dont know the word "apology" and I stopped complaining as it is just useless... hopefully will find an appartment soon and get out of here.
Biz travellers, honeymoon couples dont use this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Kirinkun