“Noisy and a rip off”

Ranked #485 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Milan, Italy
“Noisy and a rip off”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

A typically bad center-of-Istanbul-small-hotel that deserves 2 stars. How it got 4 stars is beyond me. Don't be fooled into paying more than 50EUR/Night.

Its location at Taksim Square is supposed to be to its great advantage but that is only if you love hearing drunk people shouting and singing all night in the square (especially during weekends and football matches that take place almost every day in Turkey...).

We were in room 401. The room was big but had a divider in the middle that kind of beat the purpose of having a big room. The view is of a large grey cement wall. The design is tacky (1970's style wallpaper)

Worst of all there is a construction site adjacent to the hotel. The construction is ongoing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (!). The first 2 nights of our stay was a nightmare due to the heavy machinery and the workers shouting to each other over loudspeakers (!). Luckily the third day was a snow storm in Istanbul so they stopped the work on the night before we checked out.

The bright spots were the breakfast buffet (tasty and plentiful), wifi connection (fast and free) and the bathroom. Beds were comfortable too. As they are building a tall building right next door to the hotel I expect construction to continue for at least another year so I would stay away.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Not Your B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 December 2013

if this hotel was in the U.S, they would probably get 2 stars. They are like Fairfield by Marriott type of hotel with worse quality of beds and amenities. I stayed here for four nights, the rooms were very small and smelly, the breakfast was really good and the front desk staff were friendly. I had to pay to use the Business Center computer and the computer kept crashing on me so I ended up not being able to print my documents. The wireless internet is free but it SUCKS big time. It kept dropping us our of network every 30 minutes.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erik67ir
AlevDurucan, General Manager at Taksim Metropark Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We have made so many improvements since you last stayed (almost a year ago). All beds and linens have been renewed. The internet is still complimentary but upgraded. Thank you very much for your kind comments on our friendly staff and very good breakfast. We would love to welcome you again with our new features.
Reviewed 11 October 2013

First of all, let me say that its location is superb. It is right at taksim square, and next to it is McDonalds. Secondly, there is free wifi (but note that the wifi password in the room is different from that in the lobby!). Unfortunately, there is nothing else good about this hotel. The receptionist guy was pleasant and helpful, whereas the lady was combative and confused about my transport arrangement (my agent had paid for the transport in advance but she kept insisting otherwise, so my rep had to waste roaming charges to call back home to settle the issue with her - and that took a whole morning). I am a single traveller, and they didn't have the common sense to merge the two single beds in my room into one king size bed; so I did it myself. The tea satchels were opened, and remained UNREPLACED throughout my four day stay. In fact, they didn't even wash my cup once in my entire stay. They do not provide complimentary mineral water. Facing my window is DHL office; it's so near I can literally see the desktop of an office executive. There are actually two sets of towels - one is the old rough set, and the other has a much more luxurious feel. I discovered it only when I asked for my towels to be replaced; and luckily got the better set. The room was hardly spacious, but passable for me as I was a single traveller. As for the breakfast, the waiters were still preparing the bread about half an hour AFTER the restaurant was opened. Thankfully, macdonalds was next door so I had breakfast there instead. Forget about getting the "tourist map" from the reception - they distribute a generic unusable one. Get a better map from the nearby shopping mall along the pedestrian street just couple of steps away off taksim square. It's a four-star hotel, without a fitness centre/pool/bell boy. As for TV, there is no movie channel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments on the good location and some of our friendly staff. We are sorry to hear that we could not meet all your expectations.
1. Wifi is complimentary and free of charge; the passwords are different in the room and at the lobby due to security reasons.
2. We apologize for the miscommunication between your agency and our personnel regarding the transportation payment. It is relieving to hear that the problem is solved eventually.
3. All our rooms have 2 people capacity with different bed types. The reservation department gladly aranges the room and the bed types to meet guests' requests if they are informed in advance.
4. We are surprised that your complimentary tea bags were open because all bags are enveloped individually. Tea-cofee and water are replaced daily free of charge since 27 th of March 2013.
5. All the towels have been renewed on July 2013. We are sorry that you received the old set and the new set at the same time. However we are happy to say that currently only the new towel sets are at the service
6. Our rooms differ in size and view. We kindly ask our guests to advise us their requests in advance so that we can meet their expectations.
7. The breakfast starts at 7:00 a.m. and we have not received any complaint regarding the timing of the service but we apologize sincerely if the breakfast was not serviced at the right time during your stay. We will make sure that this problem won't occur again.
8. There is complimentary city map at the hotel, we are sorry that it was not detailed as you wanted. It is nice to hear that you found a more detailed one at a shopping mall which is a few steps away from our hotel.
9. We aim to provide at least 3 TV channels in most commonly used languages yet we do not have a specific movie channel. Currently, we are working on providing this service as well. Thank you for sharing your opinion.
10. There is no fitness center or a pool at the hotel however there are two bellboys at every shift. I discussed your claim with the staff to understand what the problem was. It would be very kind of you if you could mail us personally regarding your experience.
Thank you once again for sharing your ideas with us, it will help us to improve ourselves and give you a better service.
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The hotel is a 5 minute walk across Taksim Sq to the conference centre, which was its main selling point for this trip.

Overall, it's hard to fault, and hard to get worked up about. The room was spacious, the wifi worked well, the bathroom was excellent, the bed good. Contrary to other comments below, I was rather impressed with the breakfast.

Downsides? There is nearby construction, which made it very noisy to have the window open, and the aircon unit was incredibly noisy. Still, in October, neither of these caused any hassle.

If you're on a business trip in the area, I'd gladly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I with my husband and my son stayed 6 nights in Taksim Metropark Hotel. I should say that don’t expect it as a 4 star hotel and don’t expect to receive services as a 4 star hotel. Be cautious about your belongings. My handbag was stolen in the restaurant in the first morning of our arrival. The rooms are spacious but the rugs in the rooms are very dirty. Most of the night receptionists are not very polite and patient especially when you need some information and some help as a foreigner. The breakfast was not very tasty and without any variety. The location is very good just near the metro station, restaurants and hotels. Just 10 minute walk from Kapasi Harbor and Dolmebahce Palace.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

The service was good. Breakfast could be improved. Too noisy from a constuction site nextdoor and also from other rooms. The smell of cigars was very strong in my room although I asked for a non-smoking room. Too pricy for the services offered.

1 Thank Laura B
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed 14 July 2013

grat place, clean rooms, best place just a stonethrow from metro station. i have been there more than seven times intwo years. nvery good breakfast. no noise at night. very kind staff. wonderful prices. nice seaview rooms

Room Tip: nice sea view rooms on fourth floor