“Felt like home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 1,120 Hotels in Istanbul
SF bay area
“Felt like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

We changed hotels after having a horrible experience at the "Carlton" hotel. Ada hotel was exactly what we needed. It in small and comfy, close to all the tourist attractions and the best part of it was the jacuzzi in our room! The owners of the hotel are super friendly, and its free to call to united stated which was super helpful because i got home sick after being on the road for so long! lol My boyfriend and i loved staying here and we would definitely come back.

The only problem was that our air conditioner kept on not working. But they were quick to resolve issues.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrancisElena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed at Ada Hotel for 4 nights and was extremely happy with my stay. I was a solo traveler going to Istanbul for the first time. This was a perfect place to base my holiday. The owner and his wife are people you can trust. They went out of their way to help me and really care about making sure visitors have a good time in Istanbul. I found my room - which was a Sea View, spacious and very clean. The view from my room of the sea and the nearby mosque was amazing. The room service was excellent. Breakfast on the terrace was one of the best things I experienced in Istanbul. The terrace is south facing so you get lots of morning sunshine. It was great for photography. I would recommend this place to all my friends, and I definitely plan to stay here again the next time I am in Istanbul.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are worth it.
1 Thank XinZhang
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

We were recommended by friends to stay at Ada Hotel in Istanbul and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel has very high standards of cleanliness, customer services and facilities. I was with two young kids and they loved the suite we stayed in. We all used to look forward to morning breakfast every day and the owner Dr Daugan was extremely helpful in every way. Highly recommend this Hotel to everyone who is visiting Istanbul and plans to stay in Sultanahmet area

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Shan E
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

I posted my review some days ago and have decided to edit it based on new information and for the purpose of clarification.

I spent a total of 9 nights at this hotel - 7 to start with, did some traveling elsewhere in Turkey, and then returned for 2 nights before leaving Istanbul.

Like most people, I read many of the reviews - ranging from excellent to very good to average - for this hotel before deciding on it. And after my long-ish stay there, I have to say that I can really understand why there's such a diverse range of comments!

So I'm going to write my own perspective of the hotel - right from the beginning:

Pre-stay communication was fantastic! Emails were promptly replied, answers provided for questions, etc. My trip was a last-minute decision and I found some of the hotels (if you book directly) asking for credit card details either by fax (I don't have access to a fax machine) or by email (not secure and I wasn't comfortable with it). The owner was prepared to confirm the booking without the formality, which I was very grateful for.

If you book directly with the hotel and stay for more than 3 nights, you get one-way airport transfer. I was met at the airport and taken to the hotel. No problems and a very comfortable convenience.

Others have mentioned this - there is no 'hotel reception' as such (which is generally not the biggest problem unless you need something urgently).

The front door is always shut – which is a nice security measure; and of course, the owners live on site so are available to open the door, and on check-in, you get your own security key for the front door (and your room).

However the combination of “no official reception” and “locked front door” can sometimes backfire, and when I first arrived, despite ringing the doorbell repeatedly, I found myself standing outside the hotel with my bags (after the drop off), waiting for about 20minutes before the owner turned up to let me in (he’d gone out somewhere). I was mildly irritated, the owner apologised, and the subject was dropped.

On the hotel overall:

There is a lift (very slow but a plus if you have heavy luggage). It is clean, very nicely located in Sultanahmet (but Sultanahmet is not THAT big so I'm guessing that most if not ALL hotels in the area are within a very short walking distance to the Blue Mosque, etc.), and you get a nice view of the sea from the breakfast room on the 5th floor (again, I think most hotels offer the same thing). But I did like the fact that the hotel is located away from restaurants, clubs, etc. side of Sultanahmet - you get the access without the traffic and noise... and it's very safe!

Breakfast is (generous and pretty reasonable) buffet style including a variety of Turkish-style breakfast foods as well as an attempt at western taste (sausages, french toast, eggs - boiled, scrambled or fried) and very drinkable coffee (when it was fresh).

On the negative side, the 'hot breakfast' was often not so hot. I found the entrance of the hotel a bit annoying - it's cluttered by pot plants, and can be a bit confusing to the first time visitor to know if they've come to the right place; and the overall decor of the hotel is, well... slightly characterless... at least for me.

On the room:

My room was warm (sometimes too warm), very clean, and housekeeping was excellent. There are tea/ coffee-making facilities. I was able to satisfactorily get wifi in my room, and free local and international (not to all countries) phone calls is very attractive.

My room (201) and bathroom was pretty small, and given the length of time I was there, found it a little bit claustrophobic. There is a Jacuzzi in the bathroom – nice touch and I used it twice. The bath water took a really long time to drain (a little bit eeky for that reason), but it eventually did, so I didn't bother mentioning it.

I originally booked a standard room (39euros in winter and paying cash) which, at least on the website, has some basic cooking facilities (nice for a longer stay like mine) and looked more spacious; but was on both occasions upgraded to a room with a sea view (smaller and no kitchen). No doubt, the view was nice, but the room (especially the bathroom) did feel pretty tight. There’s also been some confusion - I initially thought it was only a ‘partial sea view’ room, but have just discovered that it was actually a full-scale ‘sea view’ room. Overall, I confess that I can’t complain.

On general service:

The service was variable. The ladies who run the breakfast room and do the cleaning are really lovely... and they do a great job. The owner and his wife seemed friendlier on some days and less so on others... It’s not the biggest issue – you probably wouldn’t even meet the owners of a lot of other hotels.

However, I seemed to hit a bad patch with him when I asked for a quote to go to Ephesus (they also run a tour agency). I had to remind him several times before finally getting an answer a couple of days later.

Admittedly I toyed with different options for my itinerary (travel by bus or plane, include Pamakkule or not, include Cappadocia or not, etc.) and asked for several different quotes from him in order to make my decision. However, I did think it was reasonable to consider my options.

I was told this was the reason for the delay in getting back to me. However, I had approached other agencies with the exact same request (and uncertainty) and got answers back either immediately or within the day. Needless to say, by this time I really didn't feel too confident about taking a tour through them... and went with another company instead.

I titled this review 'undecided' because I found it difficult to decide between rating them ‘very good’ or ‘average’. There were enough good things about the hotel to have potentially made the rating ‘very good’.

However, there were enough instances of unpleasantness (whilst they might have been highly unusual, they still happened to me) that I felt it couldn’t quite accurately be called “very good”.

I returned to the same hotel on my way back because I wanted the convenience of being able to leave a bag in Istanbul while I travelled around, and I was too tired and lazy to go searching for another hotel. And given the circumstances, I felt that the ‘bad points’ were an acceptable compromise.

Given everything, I went rather with ‘average’ rating because that’s the closer reflection (of the 2 choices) of my overall impression of the hotel

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Beavisonthemove
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I booked this hotel based on the TripAdvisor reviews and was not disappointed. Traveling alone, my #1 priority was finding somewhere I felt safe and this hotel definitely met that description. It's location is central, less than a 5min walk to the Blue Mosque, but still very secure.

The hotel felt really homely and had much more atmosphere and character than a bigger hotel. The reception was nice and bright and if you don't want to bring your laptop, there is a Macbook for customer use. It was also one of the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. My room was serviced daily, and the linen and towels were always crisp and white. I booked a standard double room, which had a jacuzzi in the bathroom, a small kitchen (free tea and coffee facilities, but you have to pay for the water and cola in the fridge), television, sofa bed, hairdryer, slippers, air-conditioning (though I didn't need it in January!), ironing facilities, safe and extra blankets and pillows. I would give Ada Hotel 10 out of 10 for comfort and cleanliness.

The staff were very nice and friendly, the girls in the breakfast room especially. Breakfast itself was also very good. There was a good selection of hot and cold foods...very tasty! The view from the breakfast room was one of the highlights, as it overlooks the sea. Though there is no restaurant in the hotel, its central location means there are loads of restaurants literally on your doorstep (I'd strongly recommend Denizen Coffee for lunch and a good Turkish coffee).

Thanks to all the staff at Ada Hotel for such a pleasant stay. If I ever go to Istanbul in future, I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Take a room at the back if you want to avoid hearing the call to prayer. I had a room at the back an...
2 Thank Louise F
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

Very nice hotel. Reasonable price. Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. Nice breakfast. Wifi works well. There may be better hotels in Istanbul that we didn't stay in but this one is guaranteed to satisfy the vast majority of people.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

It's a small home-like hotel with everything you needed: spotlessly clean, comfy linen and big towels, excellent Wifi connection, free international, a home made turkish buffet breakfast which is far more than enough and deicious :) plus perfect location which is convenient and safe. We stayed in the sea view room and it is directly overlooking the Bosphorus Sea with a jacuzzi right next to the window. Truely enjoyed! Other than the great facilities and the hotel itself, the owner, Dr Dogan, who goes extra miles to help solving your problems all the way throughout the trip. Whenever you need help, just let him know and he'll sort it out for you. He also helped to arrange tours with very reasonable prices. Let him know your preferences and he'll talk and decide what tour fits you the best. I have my tours one to Cappadocia and one to Pamukkale/Efes arranged by him and both are so memorable. The most impressive part is that Dr Dogan will make sure you are happy and good with everything even you are out of Istanbul. He does care about his guests no matter you are still staying in Ada, or you've been going on tours somewhere else. Like my mum lost her sunglasses on the way to Kusadasi, I e-mailed Dr Dogan at night and right away he helped us to call the agency, then to the driver, and finally he got us back a good news in within half an hour :) When you travel abroad, you feel helpless sometimes when you have to face problems in somewhere that is not familiar to you. But you will never feel helpless there in Turkey knowing Dr Dogan. My trip to Turkey can't be that smooth and perfect without staying in Ada Hotel and Dr Dogan's help. I will definitely go back again, highly recommended :)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family