“A home away from home”
Review of Ada Hotel Istanbul

Ada Hotel Istanbul
Ranked #13 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 1 June 2014

For two adventurous 20 something year olds, a 5 day wizz trip round Istanbul without any sort of planning ahead (except for this hotel booking) was exactly what we had expected. Little did we know just how much more we were about to experience and how the true heart of Istanbul resonates with us until now.

Ada hotel is in a fantastic location, hidden on a quiet street with an exceptional warm home feel to it, though I must say it is most definitely the kind hearted staff that make this hotel what it truly is. I make particular mention to our in house manager Duran. He organized transportation for us to and from the airport and even a trip to cappadocia all arranged and hassle free. He helped us and suggested things to see and do in Istanbul.

We felt like part of the family when we left. Even in the cheapest room for us, we felt like queens. My advice would be to get up early for the breakfast they provide. What a feast!

Thank you to Duran and the family we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for Ada Hotel Istanbul

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I suspect that, had circumstances been different, I might be writing a reasonable review of this hotel. However, we had booked 5 rooms (4 sea view) for 3 nights and it was a complete shambles.

When we arrived 3 of us were shown to our rooms. The other 2 waited and waited and were ignored: the manager was evidently rather pre-occupied (for reasons that soon became apparent). The 3 who had rooms repaired to the bar opposite to wait for the 2 waiting for rooms. After an hour we saw them being led to the hotel next door. I shot down to find out what on earth was happening. The manager has a rather slow and ponderous nature and his English is not brilliant. He was about as useful as a chocolate teapot - I could get no sense as to what was happening - he kept saying 'the terrace'' - but he insisted I follow him down a hill to an apartment. It dawned on me that I was going to be staying here and would need to collect my bags. It also dawned on us that the other 2 who had their bags in the Ada were also to be moved out to yet another hotel. On returning to the hotel we found 2 stern looking people in uniform occupying the reception area and that all guests were being moved out. Afterwards the manager told us that there was a problem with the terrace and that he thought it might be a week before it was sorted,

So we had booked 4 sea view rooms (and 1 other) in one hotel as a group of friends and ended up in 3 different places with 4 of the rooms way inferior to those we had booked at the Ada). We were not happy. Afterwards we did feel sorry for the manager - his day must have fallen apart round his ears, having to rehouse lots of irate guests (and we were definitely irate!). However, we had 2 or 3 hours of total chaos and ended up with accommodation that we hadn't booked, didn't want and split our group into 3 different places. Hence the minimum rating.

The other gripe is that when we arrived we asked for a recommended restaurant nearby and were directed to Spectra, which we found disappointing. We saw the Ada manager leading other Ada guests there with their luggage - it is a hotel too. (On our last night we again went to a recommended fish restaurant. but that was good and they gave us a substantial discount because of our hotel experience).

Positives?

Had we actually stayed there, Hotel Ada looked nice in a fairly quirky way The sea view rooms were what we expected - although the addition of a large corner spa bath/jacuzzi in the bedrooms ithemselves was bizarre, especially as the rooms are not really large enough to accomodate them). The hotel is quite narrow with one small and very slow lift. The location is excellent - a couple of minutes walk to the Hippodrome/Blue Mosque.

It was only late on our penultimate day that we realised that Ada was still functioning for breakfast so on our last morning we had breakfast there. Breakfast was very good.

I was the fortunate one in that I was housed in one of Ada's 'de luxe' apartments, situated down a hill roughly 200m away. Mine was slightly subterrranean, so a bit gloomy, but large and stuffed full of electronic gizmos (5 ft plasma TV, washing machine and tumble dryer, fridge freezer, kitchen and sitting room, mood lighting, 2 A/C systems etc etc). I found it large and characterless and full of stuff designed by architects and thus totally impractical (eg 6 big heads on the glitzy shower, but shiny taps you cant turn off with wet hands and nowhere to put soap). Had it been what I wanted when I booked I would have been have been content. But it wasn't and I wasn't. The others had very average rooms in 2 nearby hotels.

Understandably, we were not happy about any of this. The discussion with the manager about what we should pay was painless however. He suggested something which was not unreasonable for the rooms we had. I suggested 10% further off to allow for the general disruption, he rounded this down and we agreed.

So we parted friends.

Had it not been for the shambolic events surrounding the closure of the hotel to residents I suspect I would have been writing a quite contented review of Ada Hotel. However, as it was, our 3 day visit was a disappointing shambles.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ter35
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2nights and the thing I loved most about it was the view. very breath-taking. the owners are nice people , however I was made to pay an extra fee because I checked out earlier than I booked. I still recommend it though. nearness to historic sights and tourists buzzing all over.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I have been emailing back and forth with this hotel for the last 5 days, He said there's no room at the hotel, but that I could stay at the new deluxe suites. When I said I couldn't afford that, he lowered the rate. We were emailing back and forth because I had a lot of questions and I would only get partial answers. So I finally asked if they had Skype or if they can call me (I'd read that they offer free phone calls to US, while I don't have international access) because I'm leaving tomorrow and need to figure out my hotel situation. I talked to him this morning and he said that everything was set. I said I'd send an email to outline everything we'd discussed and to give him my flight info since airport transport is included. He just emailed me half an hour ago to say something came up & he can't confirm! He offered to still give me airport transportation and help me find a hotel, but I shouldn't have to do that when I get there. If he had said no through email or during the phone call, then I would have found a different place to stay. Now I'm stuck trying to find a place when I should be packing.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank islddreamer
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Last month we went on a long trip around Turkey and Greece and our travel agency Encounter Tours wisely made Istanbul our base. They booked the Ada Hotel for our time in Istanbul and we ended up staying there on three different occasions—upon our arrival, when returning to catch a plane to Greece, and back again for a few more days before our departure. Each time we spent 2-3 nights. I must say that staying at the Ada was a wonderful experience and one of the factors that made our trip memorable. The location was fantastic—can’t get much better than behind the hippodrome, a few short blocks from the Blue Mosque. It was the perfect place to explore all the main attractions of Sultanahmet Square. We even walked to the Grand Bazaar (15 minutes) and to Eminönü (25-30 minutes) when we took a boat trip down the Bosphorous or the tram to Kariköy (you can take the tram closer to the hotel but we enjoy walking and exploring all the little streets). Restaurants, a mini market and souvenir stores were all close at hand as well as are lesser known attractions like the Kucuk Haya Sofya (Little Haghia Sophia) and the beautiful Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque right in front.
In addition to the great location, the rooms were comfortable and clean. Like many other hotels in the historic district, it seems that the hotel was probably started off as an old building or home and has been modernized and turned into a hotel. To me that all adds to the charm, but some if you are a very fussy traveler, you might think the elevator too tiny or the shower a bit small (then again, other rooms even have a jacuzzi!). I actually enjoy all of these differences as part of the whole travel experience. We also had a coffee maker and a refrigerator with water bottles in our room which was quite convenient. The owners, Mr. Doğan, a university chemistry professor, and his lovely wife are charming and attentive to all your needs. We did not book any tours through them as these had already been all taken care of by our agency, but they were quick to give us a map or explain direction to us if we wanted to go anywhere else. We left our extra bags with our shopping items with them both times which was an added bonus, not to have to lug around all the extra weight with us when touring.
Breakfast is a highlight of the stay as it is offered in the top-floor terrace area with an incredible view of the Marmara Sea. There is an open area for the summer as well as an enclosed area for when it is colder. The three Georgian sisters who prepare and serve breakfast and do the cleaning—Şerdona, Maya and Jana—are a real treasure. Their food is magnificent, and they could not be sweeter. The breakfast is a feast, with the typical Turkish fare of olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, all sorts of breads and cheeses, gözleme, and böregi in addition to all sorts of eggs (scrambled, fried, hard), sausages, fresh and fruit, yogurt, cereals, fresh jams and honey, coffee, tea, herbal teas, juices and much, much more. Despite staying there on so many occasions, I think it was impossible to sample all they would bring out.
Then during our last stay at the hotel came the big surprise—all the hotels in Istanbul were booked that weekend so Mr. Doğan let us be the first to use one of his new luxury suites just down the street. All I can say is WOW!!!!! Let me say it again—WOW!!! No expense has been spared to make these suites beautiful. We had a very large bedroom with its own little enclosed terrace, large closets, a super modern bathroom, a full kitchen with oven, microwave, stove, dishwasher, refrigerator/freezer, and even a washer and dryer. The living room sofa served as the third bed and has a very, very large flat screen TV. The décor is gorgeous—these must be some of the loveliest suites in all Istanbul. They are one block further down than the Ada Hotel and you are connected by phone to the same reception so if you need anything, Mr. Doğan will hurry right down. Each of us even got a little souvenir gift upon our final departure! Hotel Ada…we miss you!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CyndyL
Reviewed 18 May 2014

If you are searching for a small, charming hotel in Istambul that is clean and tidy, with spacious rooms, perfect location in the heart of the city, plus very helpful staff, then you should choose Ada Hotel. We have spent 5 wonderful days here, and can not mention one mistake. Rooms are very clean and large, good beds, very good breakfast on an amazing roof terrace. A very good value for money!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I booked this hotel based on reviews and I was not disappointed. this is a small family run hotel in an excellent location for the main sights. The service was friendly, helpful and child friendly, I could not fault.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

GH