“Superb place to stay”
Review of Ahmet Efendi Evi

Ahmet Efendi Evi
Ranked #46 of 1,070 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Ahmet Efendi Evi is a great place to stay - we just stayed one night but I would certainly stay here again if I'm back in Istanbul. Its a small and quiet place so probably not ideal for party animals but great for families, couples, solo travelers and anyone with a flight to catch.
Its a little hard to find the first time around as its on a small street the far side of the railway line but its easy to remember the location and its very central, 5 minutes to Blue Mosque or Agia Sofia while still being slightly away from the main tourist drag.
We were given a family room instead of a twin room as they were booked up and it was great, spacious bright and spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was the usual Turkish standard but everything was very fresh and getting a filter coffee was nice for a change instead of cay or nescafe.
High recommended and excellent value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paulyg123
There are newer reviews for Ahmet Efendi Evi

Reviewed 9 April 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Istanbul. The hotel is charming, comfortable and in a perfect location. Mehdi and Yousef are such warm friendly people that you cannot help but feel at ease as soon as you enter the place. Rooms are charming, comfortable and immaculately clean. Breakfast is delicious.
In my opinion it's perfect.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We had a very good time at Ahmed Efendi Evi. Our double room was very comfortable and clean. The view onto the minarets of the Blue Mosque was an additional plus point.
The breakfast was a mixture of European (eggs, cereals and jams) and traditional Turkish food - bread, olives and sheep cheese - we liked and enjoyed it with tea or coffee (as you want it).
The kind and obliging host speaks English perfectly and helped us a lot in planning our day. To be recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kebe_McCoy
Reviewed 8 March 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I stayed at Ahmet Efendi Evi for three nights. I found the hotel through TripAdvisor review. I selected this hotel among many similar ones in Instanbul due to its location, reasonable price, and good review on the staff attentiveness.

My experience staying here exceeded my expectations. My flight arrived early in the morning, so when I arrived at the hotel technically it was not time to check in yet. But Yusuf, one of the hotel's staff, was very welcoming and let me check into the room as it was already ready for use. He also provided me with a map of Sultanahmet area and gave a little orientation on where the tourist attractions are.

Later during my stay, Yusuf was also very helpful in getting taxis for me to go to other areas of Istanbul. He also lent me his istanbulkart when he found out that I would be going to areas where I might be taking public transport to go back.

I stayed in a twin room. It was relatively small in size, but very clean and comfortable. And as a bonus, I had a very nice view of the Blue Mosque outside my window; quite nice to see both during the day and at night.

Location-wise, it's only about 5-10 minute walk from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and the Sultanahmet stop for the tram. So it's quite nice to use as a base while exploring Istanbul.

I came in January so the weather was quite cold and it rained for a couple of days. During those cold, rainy days (and a little snow on my first day), it's nice to have the hotel nearby when you're walking out and about in Sultanahmet area.

Breakfast was a traditional spread of turkish breakfast items. It was not anything spectacular, but it was a nice one to have before starting your day.

Overall it was a nice place to stay, and I would definitely consider staying there again when I visit Istanbul.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank rsetia67
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed the 5 night stay with my daughter. The warm ambience was the first thing that greeted us the night we arrived. The place is tastefully decorated. The double room was very clean, so was the bathroom. I loved that we had two pillows each and the water pressure was great. There was also a hairdryer. Most important of all were the people - Yusof, Mehdi and Gunul (sorry If the spelling is off) and the cleaning lady (sorry couldn't recall the name), were all courteous, helpful and willingly shared stories and information. I also like the fact that it's near a mosque because the azan helps to know the prayer time. We could hear the train but were not really bothered by it. There's a fruit store and convenience store just beside the inn. The wifi signal is strongest at the lobby and the books on Istanbul are great to get info on the places you're visiting. Plus, the attractions are like 10 mins walk. Will definitely stay here again when I'm back in Istanbul. For me, it's a home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank tatee69
Reviewed 3 December 2012

The hotel is convenient located and the place was kept very clean. The street it’s at is quiet and away from the main hustle and bustle of Istanbul. Yet it’s 5 minutes away from the local train station and about 10 minutes from the tram station. The main sites in Sultanahmet are about 5-15 minutes away. Joseph who looks after the property was courteous and helpful. Rooms are cleaned and serviced every day. There’s a small refrigerator in each room. The décor in the lobby is cozy and inviting. We only met the owner once very briefly during our 5-day stay. He was equally nice and provided tips and info for sightseeing and meals.
However, the rooms are small and feel a bit crammed. I’m not certain if this is true for most of the places in Istanbul as I have no comparisons. It’s close to the train track. If you are a light sleeper, you could be disturbed at night, although I was too tired to notice the noise. The bathrooms have no shower doors or tubs. After each shower, the floor got wet and slippery. It felt unclean and unsafe to walk back into the bathroom. Breakfast was basic compared to other places we stayed at in Turkey, and it doesn’t change from day to day. Wifi signal in our room was weak and disconnections were frequent, but it was better in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple