“Good price/ quality balance”

Allstar Nil Boutique Hotel
Ranked #934 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Ive stayed 3 nights at Nil hotel because of a business trip in january 2013. Good thing was that the hotel manager spoke decent english and could tell me all about the things to see and which bars and places to go during my time so i could spend my time very effective. I liked the room and the bed was nice too (i stay in hotels a lot and this is one of the things that i find terrible very often). Shower facilities are up to standard too. The hotel is close to a tube station which brings you to all locations needed. i also booked a cab from the hotel which was in time and a decent cab drive too. All in all i had a good stay in Nil hotel and will definitly book it again if im back in Istanbul!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jayson S
There are newer reviews for Allstar Nil Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I've stayed at Nil Hotel in January 2013 while I was on a business trip to Istanbul. First of all the sfaff was very friendly and helpful. Secondly the location was perfect, it is almost in the heart of Istanbul with just 10 minutes walk to Taksim, 3 minutes to Nisantasi, and 7 minutes to Sisli. The breakfast was superb served by different varieties. They have high speed free internet. The price is reasonable considering all the above advantages. The only improvment area is the decoration of the rooms which the hotel management has already decided to invest and I heart that by the mid of March the newly designed rooms with new furnitures will be ready. I would strongly recommend anyone who visits Istanbul to stay at Nil Hotel and chat with their lovely hotel manager.

Room Tip: Any room in the hotel is pleasant. you can choose any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I found this hotel quite noisey, dirty and unpleasant.

I stayed in the Nil while on a business trip, so internet access was very important. However, despite connecting to three of the hotel's different WIFI access points (all provided excellent reception), webpages often didn't load. When the internet was working, I did a speed test, showing 50kbit/sec download with a 1000ms ping; that's equivalent to a 56kb modem from 1998.

Another drawback was the breakfast, which was stale and extremely limited in range.

This hotel is a 30 minute walk or a 10 lira taxi ride from Taksim square, in an uninteresting part of Istanbul, so not even a good location. It's low cost, but to be avoided.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jens J
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Good things:
Ok reception staff.
Near a metro station.

Bad things:
This is an extremely noisy hotel. I asked for earplugs at one point, but the staff didn't know where I could get some. Here are the key noise points:
- You can hear the elevator rumble late at night.
- The cleaning staff make a terrible racket at 9am when they start their morning cleaning duties, talking together and slamming doors.
- In the bathroom, the ventilation system is interconnected with the one next door, so I could hear the man next door when he was using the bathroom, or on the telephone.
- The walls and main door (which isn't a fire door) are paper thin, so I could hear kids running out on the corridor etc.
- The air con was unbelievably noisy, so I couldn't have it on when I went to sleep (which is tough when the room is 30 degrees).

Other poor aspects of the hotel room was no bin in the room, which is something you really miss when you come back from being a tourist and want to empty your pockets of junk.

My room also had a terrible layout: One of the light switches was at the head of the bed, half above the mattress, half below it. On multiple occasions, I would be sleeping, then move a bit and the lights would go on, waking me up in a terrifying manner.

The bathroom was dirty. I found some long dark hair jammed into the taps of the shower (not mine, as I have short blond hair). I also squished a silver fish one day, which was crawling across the bathroom floor. The toilet was propped up on a brick and a piece of wood, to stop the toilet bowl from rocking. The mirror in the bathroom was cracked and the bathroom was generally in third-country condition.

The air-conditioning ventilation grill goes straight through to the corridor, so light spills into your room at night when someone switches the light on in the corridor outside.

So, in conclusion, the Nil is a cheap hotel (€70/night), but not good value. Some colleagues and I rented out separate rooms for a week and all had the same opinion of the hotel. This place is such a joke, that I took photos of all the nasty parts of the room; a momento to the poorer parts of Istanbul. There has to be better alternatives nearby. I will return to the city, but not to this terrible hotel.

Room Tip: If you have to use this hotel, make sure you get a room with a window. The room next to mine didn...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank fifthace
Reviewed 3 May 2011

The hotel was good given its price. The quality of the furniture was good. The staff was speaking basic english, which is very helpful in a country where nearly nobody speaks it. The staff was enough welcoming.However , we have been charged 45 € for airport transfer from Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen, and 40 Lira for a very bad dinner ( the staff said first that it was only 12 Lira ). There was an army of ants in my room, which didn't let me sleep very confortably, it was really hard to get rid of them. The shower door was broken. The location of the hotel wasn't very good ( the best location is Sultanahmet ). Internet was very slow. The buffet for breakfast was ridiculous.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Logan-Keller
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I stayed three nights at the Hotel Nil in October 2010. It runs around 65 euro a night so you can't expect the Ritz, but they could do a little more maintenance to keep the place nicer. For example, on the negative side, the elevator smells strongly of cat urine, the carpet in my room was stained with dark spots in multiple areas, my bed sheets were torn in one section, the hallways can get noisy at night and in the mornings, and my room also smelled strongly of cigar smoke. My friend's room was on the interior and had no window at all! On the plus side, the breakfast was simple but satisfying, the location of the hotel was fairly central to shopping/nightlife areas, and the bathroom was quite clean. The front desk was helpful also -- arranging a taxi for me to the airport and mailing some postcards. Would I stay here again? Probably not, but it was affordable, I slept OK, and it met my basic needs. I would recommend it to budget travelers/backpackers but not to anyone looking for a nicer stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank paquitaladelbarrio
Reviewed 2 September 2010

wonderfully kind, efficient and helpful staff, always ready with help and advice, perfect location, very reasonable price considering the comfort and high standard of the hotel. Excellent breakfast buffet. Near to taksim.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business