“Average food, small quantity overpriced ”
Review of Semazen Doner&Cafe

Semazen Doner&Cafe
Ranked #8,059 of 14,829 Restaurants in Istanbul
Price range: US$1 - US$19
Cuisines: Turkish
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Description: Semazen Doner&Cafe is very close to sultanahmet square and sultanahmet train station. we are on main street and at the corner, in front of firuz aga masque
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

We ordered Lentil soup, vine leaves, shrimp casserole, and pasta carbonara.
Soup was average, shrimps were tiny sized (not good) and was not good, the pasta was horrible with heavy oily tomato sauce and no veggies, as for the stuffed vine leaves they brought only four pieces. We paid 91 Turkish Lira which was over priced for bad food, average quality. My problem is with the staff they are very rude and don't pay attention to us when we ask or order something, and it takes time to make our demands happen.
We paid 8 turkish lira as service fee.
Don't fall trap to the guy calling you to sitting the restaurant and eat, cuz it's a total scam.
I am writing this review as we are sitting and waiting to pay, using their Wifi

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Not joking don't waste your time and your money in this awful place!!!
-I never tasted such a disgusting meat it is probably human flesh !!
- no sauce: KEBAB is dry and so tasteless!
- waiters don't care about the clients

Conclusion: if I could have put less than 1 star, I would've done it.

Reviewed 18 April 2017

A lot of the touristy restaurants around the main streets and squares of Sultanahmet seem a bit interchangeable, but I’m yet to have a bad meal in any of them. In fact, Semazen’s was probably the best, perfectly grilled lamb for about 25 lira. Staff get you in and then forget you a bit, however. Also the coffee seemed weak.

Reviewed 14 October 2016

This Doner and Cafe is the stomachs best friend, not only for poor travelling students but also for the more successful tourist who wants to get the feel of simple wholesome and inexpensive Turkish cuisine. I loved everything about the place from the old wooden covered benches to the simple menu and especially the waiters who knew every returning customer and even their choices. A real and true advertisement of Turkish hospitality.

Reviewed 27 September 2016

Yes, it is overpriced. Yes, we have waited for our food a bit too long. But was it worth it? Absolutely. Usually, I plan beforehand which restaurants/cafes to eat at, mainly because I'm vegan, but also because that's just my nature, but this time the decision to eat at this cafe was made on the spot, after me and my mum have walked back and forth through Sultanahmet trying to find a place that looked appealing to both of us, browsing the menus and comparing prices. Even though the food here was moderately expensive, there were other cafes where the prices were even higher, so... I asked about veg options and the host showed me the meals in the menu, saying they've got "the best vegetable stew in Istanbul" and after trying it, I am inclined to believe him. It was truly delicious and looked fabulous. The location of the cafe is extremely nice too, you can see the Blue Mosque from there (it has outdoor seating). I would defs go back to try other veg stews because they've got several choices.