“A wonderful experience”
Review of Turk Art Hotel

Turk Art Hotel
Ranked #63 of 1,078 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I was worried about coming to this tiny hotel after reading some of the negative reviews written after I had booked.
However, I need not have worried.
We were given a choice of two rooms - both spacious and classically furnished. The room and ensuite we chose were painlessly clean a d very comfortable.
The rooftop terrace gave a fantastic view over Sultanahmet. Breakfast was simple traditional Turkish style and very fresh and tasty - buffet style so eat as much as you wish.
Contrary to previous reviews we found all staff to be extremely polite and friendly.
The location of the Muhlis Bey Hotel is fantastic - a mere stone's throw from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Basilica and Topkapi palace, with the Grand Bazaar a mere stroll away.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We had a reservation at a place called Ali baba. This hotel used to be called Ali baba, so the cab driver took us there, and the manager said we were in the right place, which we surely were not. It was late at night and we were exhausted from travel, so I did not notice the mixup until we got to our room. The manager lied knowing that a reservation at Ali baba could not have been this hotel. We decided to spend one night because we were too exhausted to travel more. I noticed a terrible smell coming from the bathroom which seemed to be some kind of mold or rot ( room 302). We both woke up in the morning feeling light headed and sick from the smell. When we went downstairs to leave and explain the situation, the person at the front desk spoke very little English, and no one else was around. I have stayed in hostels and budget hotels all over the place, and I have to say this was one of the worst experiences I have had yet. It's in a good location, but that's it. Don't bother with this place.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Summer S
Reviewed 5 June 2013

It's important to look at the whole picture when considering this hotel. The location is perfect, easy walking distance to all the major tourist attractions of Istanbul. Very affordable in a location where hotels can be very expensive. Staff were helpful and friendly. Hotel was clean, the included breakfast was decent (eggs, bread, cheeses, spreads, fruit, yogurt) and the rooftop terrace is great. But on the negative side, some of the rooms (our certainly) are very small, and have a shabby, run-down look to them. The stairs are steep and dark and there is no elevator. Personally, I don't like to over-spend on a hotels for foreign travel because I'm only going to sleep there, I'd rather save my money for meals, attractions and shopping, and I'm young enough that steep stairs aren't an issue. So it was fine for me. Sure, I'd rather a fancier hotel, but I wasn't prepared to pay the big bucks for it, this place was clean and safe and well located and that's good enough. (I rated fitness centre and pool as "terrible" as this hotel doesn't have them).

Room Tip: Request the larger rooms (I'm sure they cost more, but the small rooms are REALLY small).
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 22 May 2013

It' s really the baddest hotel ever, except for the location nothing is even acceptable in this hotel. The horror begins at the reception, poor, old desk. No lift, stairs are very small and dirty, on each level you have 3 rooms, the small one is very tiny, and the shower is not a nice place to be if you are big or little bit oversized... the Big room or what they call a suite, is just a normal sized room with a bed and an old couch. Furniture is really obsolete. shelves in bathroom are twisted... the dining room is on level three, and this is a good way to start your day doing some exercise on a dark stairs where automatic lights are activated by movement, but never on time, unless you put your hands in front of you. breakfast is poor just an old lady to cut an old bread. no water in a jug you have to take it from a big water container... a disaster... honestly I don't recommend this hotel to any one. I think that it's the baddest hotel I ever saw. believe me don't go there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nathalia c
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Tis hotel has the advantage of being in a side road off the road on which are the main sites of the Blue mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi within easy walking distance in a very nice area. There are plenty of restaurants nearby.. The views from the breakfast room, and terrace (accessed by a spiral staircase) panoramic views of the city, mosques, city and sea are worth any small niggles. It is directly across the road from the Four Seasons. We had a suite which was a large room the width of the hotel with a bed, stool, large chair , fridge ,spa bath/ shower and was spotlessly clean. Some of the fixtures and fittings are not of the standard one would expect but everything worked! The buffet breakfast is adequate and is prepared by a delightful lady called Havva with a lovely smiling welcome every morning. she cleans the rooms too, Mustafa was extremely welcoming and helpful in arranging the airport transfers and the other gentlemen on reception were very friendly.
On balance you are getting what you pay for here which is the location and views and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I received a mail from the M.Bey hotel management, asking to write a review. My partner and I had stayed at this small hotel a long time ago, but we never took the time to write a review.
When we read the reviews here, we are amazed by what is written as we had a bad experience there.
We travel extensively every year and have visited thousands of hotels so far. We are not posh people but always take great care in choosing hotels because, at the end of the day, that's where you rest, sleep, shower, eat and keep your belongings.
At Muhlis Bey, we were given a small room with the bed occupying 80% of the space. Ugly view over the backyard (instead of the Hagia Sofia, like they advertise) but that was not too important. There was a powerful stench coming from the bathroom tub and sink. When we told the guy, he put on the air-cond on Max power and said the smell would go. But it didn't and even worsened after every shower or use of the taps. We tried to stuff wet towels in the sink/tubs water evacuating holes but the horrible smell persisted and made us sick. We cldn't sleep and politely asked for a change. They said hotel was full. And they denied the stench. So the next day, we said we were moving out and that's when things turned really ugly. They refused to refund our payment. They tried to intimidate us by talking loudly and leaving us alone at the front desk. We remained calm and said we were calling the Police. They offered another room and even a "Suite" which is much bigger and luxurious for the same price. But the stench was there too (and we were angry that they lied to us, regarding the full-house). More arguing and threatening and we finally ended on the streets with all our luggage!! Although the rest of the trip in Turkey (Ephesus, Izmir, Capadoccia etc) was great, we will never forget this awful experience in Muhlis Bey!!
Don't be fooled by the photos or some comments on the booking sites.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
MuhlisBeyManagement, General Manager at Turk Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

dear guest
first of all ım so sorry for you had here bad trips.
but hotel owner is changed in october 2012.
The hotel is so wonderfull now because our first precedence is guest gratification.
Our hotel and our service quallity is soo great right now because other guest can see our reviews after october 2012 on tripadvisior reviews and booking.com reviews.
but ı want to say ım soo sorry for old owner and for they service
with my best wishes and best regards
mustafa ÇELİK

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed for four nights April 2013. Overall we had a great stay and this hotel was exactly what we wanted.
Our room was small but clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooftop terrace where we had breakfast gave us great views. The best thing though was the location just yards from the Blue Mosque and Hagia. On our first night the owner recommended a restaurant - tasty food and good value. I would recommend anyone to stay here

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple