“great value in excellent location”
Review of Hotel Sultan Hill

Hotel Sultan Hill
Ranked #454 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 21 July 2011

room was small but clean, adequate and quiet with a 5 minute walk to the Blue Mosque

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Sultan Hill (not to be confused with Hotel Sultanhan) has a great location just down a curvey side street off the end of the Hippodrome in the Old Town's Sultanahmet District. The hotel is right below the Blue Mosque so you will hear the call to prayers clearly. There is a 10% discount for cash payment and an additional 5% if you carry the Rick Steves' Istanbul book. There are only 17 rooms in this old Ottoman House. Our room #203 was right off the lobby / reception desk; but it was not noisy. They recently started a bottled wine service in the lobby which is a great way to relax after a day visiting the sights of Istanbul. The breakfast room is downstairs and the buffet breakfasts are great. Outside the breakfast room is a small patio with comfortable seating to enjoy the bottle of wine.

Room Tip: Room # 203 has a great location
3  Thank Joe-SVL
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. First of all, the staff is exceptionally nice and helpful. The gentlemen at the front desk are so friendly and they made us feel at home. The lady who manages the breakfast buffet was so thoughtful. One morning I had a sore throat and she noticed I wasn't in full form. She was so solicitous and made me some hot water with lemon and honey. I will never forget how kind she was. The location is perfect!! The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. Don't miss the roof top terrace with a cold Efes beer from reception. The call to prayer from the Blue Mosque just next door will be an experience you will never forget. We would go back to this hotel any time.
By the way, say hi to Caramel. And, Teşekkür ederim !

2  Thank Andiamo_38
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Being situated a short walk from the Hippodrome, next to the Blue Mosque, gets you quickly into the action of the Sultanahmet District and beyond. The desk staff is very friendly and helpful, and was quick to respond back and forth to emails when I was trying to book with them on short notice. The free wifi in the room is fast, strong and secure. I was able to get the Rick Steves discount because I was carrying his Istanbul guidebook on my netbook (which I showed them on arrival). I had a nice clean room with plenty of space for my needs, it felt very much like a step back in time to the Ottoman era with the furnishings and woodwork. The street where it is located also feels historic. The carpet shop folks never gave me the hard sell, just a hello as I walked by--after many trips to Turkey I know how to turn off the sales pitch with a smile and determined walk and look. Do take in a shop or two though, I buy something special each trip and have it shipped home--it always arrives quickly and I have made some great friends who work in the shops. Get beyond the sales game and you often find some very good people, remember they are just trying to make a living to support their families. The breakfast is basic, but included free. My room was in the back, so I wasn't too affected by the call to prayer. I needed to catch my flight home very early and Gokchan arranged for a van to get me to the airport--there is someone on the desk all through the night. All in all, it is an excellent place to stay in Istanbul--you will feel very safe, cozy, and at home. I will return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank li0nheart
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We loved our stay at the Sultan Hill. It was in a perfect location, across the street from the Blue Mosque, for seeing all the sights in Istanbul. The exterior is beautiful dark-stained wood. The room was not big, but had plenty of light, a very modern bathroom and a lovely balcony. There was a school right behind the building, and the teenagers waved whenever we went out to the balcony. Yes, you could definitely hear the call to prayer at the crack of dawn, but I don't think there is anywhere in town where you wouldn't hear it. We arrived early from a cruise ship, and we sat in the breakfast room for about a half hour and drank delicious tea while they quickly prepared our room. Breakfasts were very tasty - juice, fruit, olives, breads, salami, cheeses, boiled eggs. You have to love a place that gives you olives for breakfast. The lady who ran breakfast made all the pastries there herself. The spinach bread, as strange as it sounds, was delicious. She was very friendly, and on the last day, when we told her we were leaving and thanked her, she gave me a big hug.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank boomertraveler54
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We stayed here for a total of nine nights. We used the hotel as a base to travel to Jordan and Lebanon and to other parts of Turkey. They were very good about keeping our suitcases when we just took small carry-ons for the plane trips. This also made it easy to use the tram system to get to & from the airport.
There are a lot of narrow stairs. We asked for a room on the main floor.
The room was small, but very nice. If you are a light sleeper, the call to worship is going to be a problem. The hotel is right behind the Blue Mosque. But it is also very close to all the major sights and the tram is about 15 mins away.
They let us use their computer, but if you have your own, they have free wi fi.
We used Rick Steve's Book & got a 15% discount even with a credit card. Two of the places he recommends to eat at are a short walk away.
Breakfast is included. It's good, but the same everyday.
Be sure to shop around before buying anything and bargain, bargain, bargain.
I used the hotel's service for the pick up and delivery to the airport for very early flights. It's not cheap.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WorldTravler1946
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Hotel Sultan Hill is very affordable and literally right behind the Blue Mosque - a fantastic location for sightseeing. The rooms were fairly small and the beds extremely hard, however, and the proximity to the Blue Mosque means daily 4:30am "wake-up calls" from the imam. The street is well-loved by tour groups and buses, too, so not all that quiet. On the plus side, we loved the rooftop terrace for sitting outside with a beer from the fridge at the reception, looking out over the Bosphorus. The staff was very helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was passable.

4  Thank GrunerVeltiner