“Great location, mediocre property”
Review of Hotel Sultan Hill

Hotel Sultan Hill
Ranked #423 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The key selling point for this hotel is that the location is very convenient to the main sites (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, etc) and its rates are low. Beyond that:

Other than the expected sleep disturbance from the call to prayer, we found that in general the rooms were not very sound proof and it was too easy to hear noise from other things going on in the hotel from our room. The beds were also not terribly comfortable either. WiFi was extremely slow so I would not depend on it if you really need it for something.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the first floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 December 2012

We booked our stay direct with the hotel, we received a prompt confirmation. We requested a room on the top floor and were delighted with our wonderful views of the Blue Mosque from room 503. The roof top terrace is lovely for an evening drink, the views again are breathtaking. Service in the hotel is friendly and helpful, breakfast is continental, with nice touches such as home made jams. Location is probably the best in Istanbul, with all the sights within walking distance. In the evenings you have a good choice of places to eat. Tram stop just three minutes away if you do want to go further afield, advice available at reception for sightseeing options. The hotel organised our taxi transfer from the airport, which was nice as Istanbul is a vibrant and busy city.
Our room was not huge, but spotless and had everything we needed.
Sedat, the manager is especially nice, he looked after us very well....thank you.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rydpm
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The hotel is located very close to Blue Mosque. Anywhere in Sultahmet is quite accessible from the Hotel. But the rooms are basic and cleaned slightly. Breakfast was OK. We had difficulty in communicating with the staff eventhough they were friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amilleryorker
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I booked 2 nights at the Sultan Hill in early Novemeber based on the excellent reviews and price. Terrible value. Maybe it might be considered better value in summer, but I knew it was definately not worth 80 Euros via Booking.com. I just knew. First of all, the first room they try to give us was the size of the bed. Ridiculous. I asked to see another room. With some hesitancy they showed me a bit bigger of a room, but it was on the noisy side of the hotel, and it, too, was really small. I had read that hotels in Sultanhammet are really small, but I knew this was not worth 80 EU per night. Fortunately, they let us off after one night, and I found a great hotel with elevator, views, a way better breakfast which was on a true rooftop. The SultanHill breakfast was in their basement and skimpy. They are ripping off the tourists. There were not that many other Western tourists there either. I can figure why since they give you all the bad rooms. I looked and there were other bigger rooms available, but they don't give those out. There are gazillions of nice hotels around Sultanhammet. They are all close to the Blue Mosque. If you must book one night, then look for something else. I am so glad that I left and stayed 3 more nights nearby. Especially in the fall (November), there is no problem getting a better room cheaper.

Room Tip: They are gonna try to give you all the small rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IndiaLori
Reviewed 27 October 2012

This hotel is extremely comfortable. Everything works! Air con is a must and it has this. There is an empty fridge in your room so you can pop a cold beer or white wine plus some munchies inside and take up on to the roof terrace in the evening as a pre-dinner 'delight'! The views from the Roof Terrace of the Bosphorus and in particular the Blue Mosque are stupendous - you are quite simply 'right there' in the heart of the best the city has: Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Palace, list goes on. It is an up-market area with the Arasta Bazaar down the road with the highly recommended Jennifer's Hamam selling eco-stunning towels and more - you have to visit this lovely Canadian lady selling only the best pure Turkish products. Tamara Restaurant is highly recommended by us too! The Staff at the Sultan Hill Hotel, could not have been more helpful and charming, having helped us with are daily expeditions (especially where to walk on the ancient walls) and also arranged the reasonably priced airport transfer. The breakfasts, too are worth a mention - delicious.

Thank you to all those at this superb Hotel - we (2 families) had the most wonderful time!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This was my first trip to Istanbul. I chose the Hotel Sultan Hill for the price and location, and, in the runup to my arrival, for the hospitable response to my torrent of emails. The folks who work there were solicitous a group as I could possibly hope for. I was having difficulty with the cobble stoned streets, and a bit of the trouble with the lighting in the halls, but, in all, it was a lovely experience and I have no trouble recommending the Hotel Sultan Hill to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kenneth D
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

The hotel is VERY well located. You see the Blue Mosque from the terrace almost at a touchable distance. The other view from the terrace is the sea.

Most key tourist sites like the Hajia Sophia, Grand Bazar and the Topkapi is within a few minutes walk.

For all other places the tran stop is just a small walk away.

The breakfast is meager but well organised. Everything usual expect a live kitchen.

If there was a disappoitment it was that the room always had a stink coming perhaps grom the sewage system. The unfortunate thing was that this was not the first time they have heard this complain. Once that is corrected, its a most definitely 5star.

• Stayed: October 2012