“Charming Hotel in Bustling Neighborhood”
Review of Hotel Sultan Hill

Hotel Sultan Hill
Ranked #454 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Reasonably priced. Veryu courteous and helpful staff close to Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque and Tram.Go out of their way to accommodate Stored our luggage while we visited Izmer and environs.free of charge. Helped secure transportation to airport and helped to carry to car.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobHand

Reviewed 2 October 2010

This is our first visit to Turkey. My wife and I stayed 8 - 11 September 2010. It is a short walk from the Sultanamet tram stop. Very easy from the Ataturk airport, about $2 each. The staff were very nice and kind, with great suggestions of where one might eat. You can have your breakfast in the inside area or in the outside garden. A good typical Turkish breakfast. Highly reccomended.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveller181
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I really enjoyed my stay (4 nights) at Hotel Sultan Hill. Each of the 3 guys at the front desk spoke English very well, were really helpful and friendly giving me good advice on all things Istanbul.

Room: I stayed at the basement level, and it was great. I didn't care that I could hear plates and such during breakfast time, it was very slight, and never woke me. The AC was quiet and worked great! The bathroom huge and tons of water pressure, consistent temperature, plenty of towels and such. Excellent. Very comfy bed, nice and firm, I got lots of good rest.

Staff: brilliant, Tarek, and Gokhan (Ghek-Han) were fabulous. Setting up shuttle and such to/from airport and recommending good places to eat, laundry etc...

Location: right next to Sofia and Blue Mosque, a short walk to everything interesting. Then take the Tram or taxi to Taksim which is amazzzzzzing at night. Taxi to Taksim, by the way from the hotel should be 10 to 12 TL. Anything more is a big red flag, careful!

Laundry: the place I went to was upstairs in what looked like a private home, the clothes came back ... kind of clean ? The smelled like smoke, actually because after being washed... they sat in a smoky room. Brilliant. Anyway, they were actually washed and had hints of 'clean' smell mixed with fresh smoke :-) I wouldn't recommend that one (it says "laundry", up a small dark staircase. The hotel correctly no longer sends out laundry, too many missing or dirty items ...

WiFi: great anywhere, they have multiple hotspots, just pick the right one. So nice to have reliable wifi after Paris :-)

Airport Transfers: hotel charges 60 EUR for a private ride from SAW (not IST, that's much cheaper) but you can always get a shuttle for much less (10EUR from SAW), it'll take you longer. Call the hotel and get their shuttle recommendation. The one I used sometimes doesn't show up, fyi.

Taxi: SCAM ALERT !!!! Some (very few) taxi's will steal your money running a scam I embarrassingly fell for. You give him a 50 TL bill which looks just like a 5, he slaps his hand starts yelling at you and turns around with a 5, you get nervous and doubt yourself, all the other taxi guys were great right? (he's big with a big voice, you're in the middle of traffic with cars honking, cigarette smoke in the car, you want to get out ASAP), and hand him another bill, he does the same thing... anyway, YES I feel like an idiot for getting pressured and not hearing my intuition, ... lost 100 TL for a ride that should have cost 12 TL. Ugh, what a loser... fate will find him, I'm sure.

Ice Cream mini-scam: some of the flamboyant turkish-icecream vendors (they wear a red cap and use a big metal stick to mix their ice cream for some reason) will charge you 20 TL for two cones... that's $14 US dollars... for two cones. That's $7 a cone. Have you ever paid $7 for a scoop of ice cream, anywhere ? Careful, confirm price first or just let it go.

Some local turkish coffee was crap, by the way (sour, probably because tourists can't tell the difference), I'd recommend trying several places, and heading out of the Sultanahmet area (only tourists go there, no turks eat or drink there).

The nearby restaurant (tamara something?) was very very good, fyi. Also try Sultanahmet Koeftacici (something like that) across the street from the tram rails, at the east end of the hypodrome park, amazing koefta (kafta), crowded, fast service. See rick steve's book.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank ihatesigningup
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We stayed in Sultan Hill Hotel in May 2010 for several days.

Firstly I didn't like it at all because our room was extremly small and a bed seemed to be too small as well. I even thought about moving to another hotel after the first night there. But then I investigeted the other small hotels in the area and understood that our hotel is not so bad :)

Well. pluses are:

1) location - just behind the Blue Mosque
2) very clean room
3) helpfull & friendly stuff (no cheating like in the hotels with local management)
4) breakfast is very basic but you can have it in the cosy yard

So my final conclusion - hotel is good enough to be recommended but not for romantic or relaxing trip :)

2  Thank AlexandrinKo
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Stayed 4 nights and very happy we chose this hotel. Reasonably priced, very helpful staff, nice breakfast, quite and fantastic location. Many of the "famous" sites are within a 5-15 minute walk (Blue Mosque is a stone's throw away). There are no fancy pools, room service or bar etc. This is a no nonsense hotel which we would stay at again.

2  Thank Camera-Power-On
Reviewed 30 June 2010

My husband and I recently visited Istanbul, Turkey. Thanks to reviews on TripAdvisor, we found Hotel SultanHill and booked ourselves there and after having visited, I completely agree with all the good reviews this hotel has been given. Its located in the heart of the tourist area where all the sights are within a 10 minute walking distance right from the Blue Mosque to the Hippodrome; Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean and comfortable. The two guys who look after the hotel - Gokhan and Tariq are really friendly and helpful and make you feel at home right away. They even go the extra mile in arranging tours and cabs and ordering pizza:-). Thanks to them for all their help and for making our stay in Instanbul very memorable.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TequilaDubai
Reviewed 18 June 2010

The service we received from Yolcun and Tarik at this very clean and charming hotel was amazing! We enjoyed staying at the Sultan Hill so much that after touring other cities in Turkey we returned to stay again with them. The rooftop terrace overlooking the Blue Mosque and the Marmara Sea was breathtaking. The breakfast each morning was delicious with plenty of food. They gave us great suggestions on restaurants and directions. Our service was always friendly and genuine. The rooms are small yet comfortable, very clean and crisp linens. Air conditioning, clean bathroom and beer and wine that could be purchase in the lobby to take up and enjoy the panoramic view on the roof top. We could walk to all the sights in Sultanahmet and felt safe comfortable. The call to prayer from the Blue Mosque at 4:30 a.m. is rather loud, but that being said, it was part of the Istanbul experience. The Sultan Hill was our home away from home on our first trip to Istanbul. Thank you Yolcun!

2  Thank Anton37