“Very bad”

Hotel Grand Washington
Ranked #606 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Had an opportunity to stay in this hotel. Terrible insulation between rooms (could clearly hear TV from next room). Very small rooms, very unfriendly barman on 7th floor. Slow Web connection in a room.
The hotel is a way overpriced. Although breakfast was good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grand Washington

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Generally recommended. Still, travelers are generally looking to a hotel to provide comfort and hospitality after long flights and stressful travel; a hotel should not raise the stress level but this one sent my stress to unhealthy levels initially.

The Grand Washington is a good value for a stay in Istanbul in many ways. Rooms are basic but comfortable, lobby is clean, the breakfast has some decent choices, the staff communicates with acceptable english, free wifi, the pool is small but has a good view, the location is good on a street with a little nightlife, near the University and many central attractions, its clean, etc.

In general I would rate it a fine 3 stars, but to earn a four star rating one expects good service. The hallmark of good service is sympathy. Complaints should be met with a friendly "I understand, let me see what I can do to help" and in general staff should act like they want you to come back. After all, in this area of Istanbul hotels are plentiful.

However, similar to several others' experiences, the front desk (Rasul) acted as if they were doing a favor by allowing us to have the key to our room we had already paid for. In fact, we had booked several nights several months in advance. (This is in fact good for the hotel since it gives them visibility in terms of revenue and occupancy). At the time of booking we were not sure our twin daughters would be coming with my wife and I. So when we showed up at the hotel they put us through a gauntlet of time wasting negotiations. First, they said we could not have our room because we had the kids. Nevermind that when travelling we often do this -- our kids are like 50 pounds of petite (twins) and when travelling we share a twin bed easily as families often do travelling.

Nonetheless, they had us wait in the lobby for a full hour. Did they not have a room ready for us despite the early reservation? They then had us talk to "the manager" on the phone who insisted we simply cancel our reservation and thereby casually derail all the careful plans we had made. While I asked to see him in person, he never showed his face. I literally had to ask this question: "so, you are saying that any room we pay for (with twin beds), we cannot have more than two people in that room at anytime? If its noon on friday and I have a friend who wants to come to sit in my room with my wife and chat, we can't let their foot across the threshold?" "No," Rasul told me. Is that standard policy here? Unknown, but be wary.

In general, most hotels like to charge extra for extra people, that makes sense, but when it comes to children and there is no need to expect extra beds or extra services rendered, a hotel needs to be flexible and welcoming, or state their policies clearly and ask that you upgrade nicely. Rasul did none of that though I sure he was less willing after I lost patience with their charade and started telling them I expected to get the key to a room we had booked and paid for (4 day stay) and that I was not going to just go away. In fact, I also mentioned my reviews here on Trip Advisor as another incentive.

So, to their credit, from there things improved and that is why I give a 4 star rating. Again, the expression of sympathy for service was key. I approached what looked like the manager (he was in a room near the front desk), named Vedox. He seemed to have some more authority and he was smart. He apologized for the wait, offered my kids a free juice, simply suggested we upgrade to a slightly larger room, and then waited there to make sure it happened. When they did not have a larger room available he arraigned for us to have a room at a nearby hotel for one night. So after nearly two hours of waiting we finally had a place to rest. But the fact that it took so much effort is too bad.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank salve_sons
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is just ok... I can see most people are complaining about lack of croissants etc., but indeed breakfast is rich even if average as quality, and view is great. The hotel is new and clean, with staff available to help, even if not exactly proactive. I had a quadruple room with my family, and I would say space was poor, with a major issue with A/C, which was just on top of one of the beds. I wonder what happens when it gets really warm and it can't be used.
So you can live with this hotel. But why should you go there? It's 4-stars, but not great. It's walking distance from Gran Bazaar, Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque, but why not staying in Sultanahmet instead (BTW in case use the streetcar, it's perfect). I did as it was part of a package, no complaints, but this wouldn't be my choice again.

Room Tip: Wouldn't advice a quadruple
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days and on the whole it was a good experience, the spa was very nice and clean, the hotel room was also clean and was also very comfortable, all be it on the small size. The staff were friendly.

On the negative side, we took the half board option which was rather a waste of money as the food was quite disgusting. It was mainly bowls of different salads, which were there morning and evening. The breakfast was boring, cereal horrible, the toaster didn't work etc. The dinner was always the same, rice and mashed potato and a meat stew sort of thing. That for us was the worst part of the trip.

However, I would still recommend this hotel but I would suggest not to take half board.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by an acquaintance who stayed there last year, and we were not disappointed, check in was pleasant and quick and we were escorted to our room and helped with the luggage by a very pleasant porter, who explained the key card and the remote for the air con. he also came back up later to sort out our room safe and showed us how to set the code. The room was a good size and looked exactly like the website photos, it had every thing you needed including a kettle with tea and coffee and a complimentary bottle of water, replenished daily, the bathroom was a good size with a walk in shower plenty of towels again these were changed daily. there is a mini bar in the room and prices are in $dollars, but seemed reasonable. Breakfast is typical Turkish buffet style and had a large variety of items including eggs, sausage,salads, fruit,cereals, yoghurt, breads, cakes, jams, tea, coffee and juice. again this looked like the photos on the website. On the first evening we ate at the hotel, this was OK but nothing to write home about, but was very reasonable at 22 TL pp for an eat as much as you want buffet. We had a bottle of wine which seemed a little over priced at 110TL. The views from the top floor restaurant are amazing and it was lovely to eat breakfast on the outside balcony and enjoy the nice weather. On our first night we returned to our room to find a lovely bowl of fruit which which we enjoyed over the next few days when we returned from sightseeing. We used the bar in the reception area a few times during our stay and Ishmael the barman was lovely and so courteous. I also used the swimming pool one day and although on a huge pool it was warm and the facilities were clean and towels provided, I was also offered free tea and coffee during my time there. Yes some of the staff might not speak very good English but then my Turkish is not very good either but they are anxious to make your stay as good as possible. The hotel is about a 25minute walk from the big sights of The Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia Museum and grand Bazaar, also worth a visit is the underground Basilica Cistern(opp the Hagia Sofia) and the Suleymaniye Mosque this is only about 15 minutes from the hotel and was fantastic. It is so big it can be seen from most parts of the city. there are no queue's at this mosque unlike some of the the other attractions. The Topkapi Palace you could spend all day here there are plenty of places to sit and rest in between looking around the many rooms and exhibitions. Well worth doing is the sightseeing buses who have two routes red and blue and we covered most of the out of the way places with these such as the going over the Bosphorus bridge an experience on an open top bus to the Asian side of Istanbul and the Golden Horn and the which links the the Turkish and European sides, you can hop on and off at any of the attractions on the route and just get on the next bus they also go over the Galata and Ataturk bridges. The hotel is situated in a pleasant area with a few restaurants within a 5 minute walk there seems to be a lot of clothes shops in and around the hotel but on closer inspection they are wholesale only.
All in all a great hotel with good facilities and pleasant staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel was fabulous in all areas. The hotel is in a quite area surrounded by many stores, restaurants and walking distance to many attractions. The staff was exceptional which made our stay better than expected. They helped in all areas to include advice about transportation, food, etc. The manager and Mr. Mahmoud went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and comfortable throughout our stay. The breakfast was extensive and facilities was excellent as well but most of all...they had English speaking channels which was great for our children. The rooms were generous (bigger than most European Hotels) and clean. We were a party of five (5) so we had two connecting rooms with two bathrooms...FABULOUS! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor in connecting rooms. No view but the space of the rooms was fabulous!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jump5mama
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My boyfriend won a trip to Istanbul for a week and we stayed at the Hotel Grand Washington.
We were really excited with the idea to stay in a 4**** hotel for the first time and were looking forward to staying at this place after seeing the pictures on the website.

We were quite happy at our arrival, the welcome at the reception was nice.
The room was small but clean and tidy.
The view from the restaurant is amazing and we watched stunning sunsets.
The food was ok.

But then, you realised that the staff doesn't really speak english and is not helpful enough.
The servers at the restaurant are even rude. No smile, they don't speak to you when cleaning away the dishes, we were even asked to pay one night although all dinners were included in the price.
Overall, we were expecting a better customer service for a 4**** hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple