“Great hotel in a great location.”

Hotel Grand Washington
Ranked #480 of 1,171 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel for seven nights and was delighted overall. The location was brilliant and the pool though a bit small was great. The comfortable sun beds were great for relaxing on after a day of sightseeing and shopping. The staff were great and the room was comfortable with the room being cleaned and towels changed every day. Breakfast was good and we had dinner two of the nights at the hotel and were very happy with it. there is a lovely section of the restaurant outside with great views. All in all we could not fault this hotel or staff and had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank eimear250991

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 10 days and couldn't have had a better experience. The room was a good size and clean, the location was within walking distance (about 20 mins) of the main sites.

The service was excellent, especially the staff on reception who were always friendly and willing to help.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Emsjayne
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our local travel agent came across this hotel after we gave up looking for somewhere on various websites. We spent a long time on Tripadvisor (and other similar sites) reading the reviews before deciding to book it for 4 nights at the end of May.

In our opinion, the "excellent" and "very good" reviews are much closer to the truth than the "poor" or "Terrible" reviews. I can only assume that some of those latter reviewers were either extremely fussy, unreasonable or had difficulties we did not encounter.

We had 2 connecting rooms, one for us, the other for the children. The rooms were at the end of a corridor and were made into one by a lockable sliding door which closed off the corridor. It worked really well for us and I would recommend it to other families. Our rooms were 1414 and 1415 on the 4th floor, although there might be similar set-ups on other floors.

the hotel staff we had dealings with were all fine - polite, friendly, helpful, spoke enough English (we didn't know any Turkish) and pleasant to deal with. Particular thanks to Azra in the restaurant. She was on duty for most of our breakfasts and on the 2 occasions we had dinner at the hotel - always helpful, always smiling.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RedHouseBob
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Had an opportunity to stay in this hotel. Terrible insulation between rooms (could clearly hear TV from next room). Very small rooms, very unfriendly barman on 7th floor. Slow Web connection in a room.
The hotel is a way overpriced. Although breakfast was good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Generally recommended. Still, travelers are generally looking to a hotel to provide comfort and hospitality after long flights and stressful travel; a hotel should not raise the stress level but this one sent my stress to unhealthy levels initially.

The Grand Washington is a good value for a stay in Istanbul in many ways. Rooms are basic but comfortable, lobby is clean, the breakfast has some decent choices, the staff communicates with acceptable english, free wifi, the pool is small but has a good view, the location is good on a street with a little nightlife, near the University and many central attractions, its clean, etc.

In general I would rate it a fine 3 stars, but to earn a four star rating one expects good service. The hallmark of good service is sympathy. Complaints should be met with a friendly "I understand, let me see what I can do to help" and in general staff should act like they want you to come back. After all, in this area of Istanbul hotels are plentiful.

However, similar to several others' experiences, the front desk (Rasul) acted as if they were doing a favor by allowing us to have the key to our room we had already paid for. In fact, we had booked several nights several months in advance. (This is in fact good for the hotel since it gives them visibility in terms of revenue and occupancy). At the time of booking we were not sure our twin daughters would be coming with my wife and I. So when we showed up at the hotel they put us through a gauntlet of time wasting negotiations. First, they said we could not have our room because we had the kids. Nevermind that when travelling we often do this -- our kids are like 50 pounds of petite (twins) and when travelling we share a twin bed easily as families often do travelling.

Nonetheless, they had us wait in the lobby for a full hour. Did they not have a room ready for us despite the early reservation? They then had us talk to "the manager" on the phone who insisted we simply cancel our reservation and thereby casually derail all the careful plans we had made. While I asked to see him in person, he never showed his face. I literally had to ask this question: "so, you are saying that any room we pay for (with twin beds), we cannot have more than two people in that room at anytime? If its noon on friday and I have a friend who wants to come to sit in my room with my wife and chat, we can't let their foot across the threshold?" "No," Rasul told me. Is that standard policy here? Unknown, but be wary.

In general, most hotels like to charge extra for extra people, that makes sense, but when it comes to children and there is no need to expect extra beds or extra services rendered, a hotel needs to be flexible and welcoming, or state their policies clearly and ask that you upgrade nicely. Rasul did none of that though I sure he was less willing after I lost patience with their charade and started telling them I expected to get the key to a room we had booked and paid for (4 day stay) and that I was not going to just go away. In fact, I also mentioned my reviews here on Trip Advisor as another incentive.

So, to their credit, from there things improved and that is why I give a 4 star rating. Again, the expression of sympathy for service was key. I approached what looked like the manager (he was in a room near the front desk), named Vedox. He seemed to have some more authority and he was smart. He apologized for the wait, offered my kids a free juice, simply suggested we upgrade to a slightly larger room, and then waited there to make sure it happened. When they did not have a larger room available he arraigned for us to have a room at a nearby hotel for one night. So after nearly two hours of waiting we finally had a place to rest. But the fact that it took so much effort is too bad.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank salve_sons
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is just ok... I can see most people are complaining about lack of croissants etc., but indeed breakfast is rich even if average as quality, and view is great. The hotel is new and clean, with staff available to help, even if not exactly proactive. I had a quadruple room with my family, and I would say space was poor, with a major issue with A/C, which was just on top of one of the beds. I wonder what happens when it gets really warm and it can't be used.
So you can live with this hotel. But why should you go there? It's 4-stars, but not great. It's walking distance from Gran Bazaar, Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque, but why not staying in Sultanahmet instead (BTW in case use the streetcar, it's perfect). I did as it was part of a package, no complaints, but this wouldn't be my choice again.

Room Tip: Wouldn't advice a quadruple
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days and on the whole it was a good experience, the spa was very nice and clean, the hotel room was also clean and was also very comfortable, all be it on the small size. The staff were friendly.

On the negative side, we took the half board option which was rather a waste of money as the food was quite disgusting. It was mainly bowls of different salads, which were there morning and evening. The breakfast was boring, cereal horrible, the toaster didn't work etc. The dinner was always the same, rice and mashed potato and a meat stew sort of thing. That for us was the worst part of the trip.

However, I would still recommend this hotel but I would suggest not to take half board.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends