“Perhaps the World's Best Hotel”
Review of Sirkeci Mansion

Sirkeci Mansion
Ranked #3 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Everything you read about the staff and accommodations being top shelf are absolutely true. The level of service at this hotel is the highest I have ever experienced. Your needs and wishes are intuitively known and taken care of. It is remarkable to experience even the check out service. At 4 am my bill was already laid out on the counter and my car to the airport was waiting for me out front. Quickly settling my account I was escorted by the staff to the car and yes I received The Gift.

By any and all standards this is one of the best, if not the best, hotels in the world.

When you book with them online you are given access to your own Guest Portfolio with which you may customize your stay. Do book the tours which are amazing.

• Stayed: February 2013
boyaci, Owner at Sirkeci Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

My Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing us for your stay and I appreciate your kind comments on Sirkeci Konak. I am so glad that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel.

Do not forget us and please contact us if you need any kind of assistance about Istanbul or Turkey. We will be so happy to see you in Sirkeci Konak Family again.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a frequent traveler -- have logged about 1.5 million airmiles over the years and stayed in way-too-many-hotels. This, by far, was the most unique, memorable stay that I've ever had.

My friend and I spent five nights in the Sirkeci Konak Hotel, arriving at the ungodly hour of 5:30 am. Although all was quiet, with only nightime lights visible, we were enthusiastically greeted by the night staff and taken right up to our room. A lovely tray of Turkish delight awaited us, along with a surprisingly spacious room. I had booked a twin standard room for the two of us, expecting little more than a couple of twin beds, a bathroom, and somewhere to put our luggage. Instead what we found was a lovely, charming bedroom - tastefully decorated, impeccably clean. There was a double armoire, a sofabed/futon, and a full size desk, not to mention significant room to move around. Top quality linens and extremely comfortable beds.

By far, however, what impressed us was the staff and the service. I have been to hotels with polite and courteous teams, but this one made us feel like we were staying with friends. As my friend said, it wasn't false politeness or "in your face" service. The team observed their guests and worked to anticipate their every need.

Breakfast was lovely, with some of the dishes rotating across the week. Fresh honeycomb every morning was a real treat, along with a stunning variety of yogurts, fruits, breads, meats, cheeses, eggs, and olives.

We took advantage of a couple of the complimentary tours offered by the hotel. On Saturday evening, there was a Raki-tasting served with a plethora of mezze and engaging conversation. We also participated in the Monday evening cooking demonstration. One of the participants was celebrating her birthday that night, and the whole on-duty hotel team made a special appearance in the kitchen with a birthday cake in hand. And we did make ourselves a delicious meal (if I do say so myself).

Pausing from my praise of the hotel, it is located within easy walking distance of the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Market, Hagia Sofia, the Basilica Cistern, Topkapi Palace, etc. It is also around the corner from the tram stop, so extremely easy to get around.

When we reluctantly left after our five day visit, the staff escorted us out to our pre-arranged transport and handed us both a lovely box of Turkish delight. I would not consider any other hotel on my next trip to Istanbul and would highly recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Holly J

My Dear Guest,

I am Faruk Boyacı, I would like to thank you for your review about Sirkeci Konak Hotel. Such beautiful comments show that we are in the right path and make us motivated working with a great desire and passion. I am proud of my staff that they try all their best. Everyone sends you their regards.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly ( faruk@istanbul.com ) for further suggestions,or if you need any kind of assistance about Istanbul or Turkey. I will be very happy to host you again in Istanbul or in our hotel group when you come back.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

The Sirkeci Konak Hotel is one of a kind and no hotel of its kind will ever match its hospitality. From the moment you book to the moment you check-out, you are treated like a treasured guest staying in someone's home. I spent 5 nights the hotel, which meant that I had a complementary personally driven pick-up from Ataturk airport as well as three-course meal on the first evening. My first day was spent on a walking tour led by Okai who works in the hotel. We were driven to a part of Istanbul where no tourist can be seen. We visited a beautiful mosque before wandering through the most wonderful market full of colour and life which in my opinion was more interesting than the rather tourist orientated spice bazaar. We drank tea with the locals and learnt so much about the real Istanbul. Whenever I needed help, support or information there was always someone on hand at the hotel, who always had time for me. The hotel itself is turkinh in feel, yet modern in every way. My room on the first floor overlooked a quiet street and the gardens that lead to the archaelogical museum, with herons and parakeets to watch in the morning and a view of the Haya Sofia. I recommend that you book directly with the hotel, that you join one of the walking tours (Wednesday for the market, Saturday to see local craftsmen at work and Friday for the Turkish cooking experience - all laid on by the hotel for the guests). When you leave the hotel you get a gift! As a regular visitor, you're treated like royalty. A wonderful place, an amazing city. This hotel will add real value to your stay in Istanbul.

Room Tip: rooms at the back have a good view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank NDP

My Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review and appreciate your kind comments. It is great to hear that you had a enjoyable stay at our hotel. Everyone sends you their regards.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had a great 4 night stay at the Sirkeci Konak hotel, February 2013. Location is great - easy walking distance to Sultanahmet sites, easy walking distance to Galata bridge/Bosphorous tours. Charming hotel, with nice rooms (Deluxe rooms are very, very nice, especially ones with balcony facing the Topkapi palace park), great included extras (some subject to length of stay) at no extra cost - great breakfast, airport transfer, one night's dinner, afternoon tea, cooking classes, wine tasting, raki tasting, etc. Rooftop restaurant being worked on/under construction, as well as some of the room areas. People are great, accommodating and very helpful. Food in restaurant is very good. Can't say enough about our stay! Didn't see any kids activities (wasn't looking). Pool is nice, but somewhat small. We didn't use the spa services. Highly recommend.
Jeff

Room Tip: Deluxe room with balcony facing Topkapi park were very nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

My Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review and it is very nice and important to me to hear that you very much enjoyed your stay. Reading your review is a great motivator and lead us to continue with desire and passion.

Hope to see you again! Anything from Istanbul, just let me know.

Faruk Boyaci

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I've never written a review for any product or service, I guess I'm a bit lazy. However, I feel I need to write one to share the details of this excellent hotel. I stayed four nights at the Sirkeci Konak in February 2013. To start, the hotel arranged airport pickup was efficient with a very nice driver. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was warmly greeted by the hotel staff and offered welcome hors d'oeuvres (small sandwiches and choice of tea, coffee, wine or spirit). The front desk / guest relations attendant accompanied me to the hotel living room where he sat with me for a good 20 + minutes to explain the offerings of the hotel (e.g., tours, tastings, hotel hamam, restaurant), explain the basics of Istanbul (e.g., what to do, not to do, transportation), and answer any questions I had. From there I was shown my room: a very clean, comfortable, quiet room on the 4th floor with a view of the Topkapi Palace garden. That evening I had dinner in the hotel's restaurant, Neyzade, which was excellent (food and friendly service). The complimentary breakfast at the hotel was amazing. It was delicious and one of the best breakfast spreads I've ever seen; a great way to start your day! The hotel is extremely well located, in a quiet area just a short walk (5-10 min) to key Istanbul attractions (e.g., the Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Cistern, Topkapi Palace, etc.) Also, the Istanbul tram (street car) which will take you all over the city and connect you to the Metro (underground) is a 1/2 block away. I took part in the hotel's complimentary cooking demo / class where you get to eat your own creation (great food). Also, I joined the hotel's Saturday morning tour, " A walk through the trade life of Istanbul," which was great. The front desk attendant and tour guide, Okay, was very knowledgeable, friendly, and patient. I recommend taking the tour...you'll see things off the beaten path.

A few recommendations for food:
- Neyzade Hotel restaurant (reasonable prices, great food)
- Hamdi (large restaurant with view of Galeta bridge)
- Hafiz Mustafa 1864 ( elegant cafe and patisserie, location close to hotel)
- Ciya Sofrasi - (In Kadikoy - Asia Side - worth the 20 min pleasant ferry ride)

If you are looking to buy a nice Turkish carpet, check out Fair Trade Art Gallery (next to the hotel). The owners, Serdar, Ozjon (sp) and the other partners were very patient, helpful, and kind. I was on a very limited budget and there was no pressure to buy anything or an attempt to up sell. I got a fair deal and I am happy with my purchase. While there,I inquired about a place to get a haircut and shave. Serdar accompanied me to a place 5-10 minutes away and translated for me...unnecessary, but very nice of him....BTW: nice haircut and great shave.

While Istanbul, you should try a hamam "turkish bath". The hotel has a nice one, but I wanted to try a local "authentic" one. The hotel recommended a couple. Unfortunately, because of my timing I had to settle for one that I saw close to the hotel, Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamam. The good: it was beautiful, clean, amazing architecture...The Bad: very expensive, treatment (turkish foam bath and scrub) was rushed and quality was not the best. This isn't a local "authentic" place. I went late in the evening on a Sunday. Perhaps, another time / day would be better?

Going back to my review of hotel...I can't say enough good things about the hotel and staff. It exceeded all expectations. My room was very clean, comfortable (great bed) and quiet (I'm a light sleeper). However, it was the team at the Sirkeci Konak Hotel that made my visit exceptional. I've traveled extensively for work and leisure and have been fortunate enough to stay at excellent properties in my travels (e.g., Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton) and have never encountered a staff that was so kind, accommodating, and genuinely concerned about the quality of my visit to the hotel and Istanbul as I did at the Sirkeci Konak Hotel. Upon leaving, several team members accompanied me to the car to say goodbye and presented me with a nice parting gift of Turkish delights. To conclude, if you go to Istanbul this is the place to stay... highly recommend it!

Thanks to the Sirkeci Konak Hotel team for making my visit to Istanbul, a very pleasant and memorable one...special thanks to Okay and Abdullah. I hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Mateo D

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Superb service, excellent room, fantasic breakfast and the staff - probably some of the best ever across the world! We have travelled extensively and felt these guys and girls were top class. Little touches like a free welcome drink, free trips, wine tasting. It all sounds too good to be true - book with these guys- well worth it. Also very centrally located. Blue mosque just up the road and a load very good.restaurants very close.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

My Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review and appreciate your kind comments.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed two nights in a deluxe room at the Sirkeci Konak - beautiful and massive room with balcony overlooking Gulhane Park. V comfortable king size bed, delicious breakfast served until 11 (so civilised), and extremely helpful and attentive staff. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

My Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review and it is very nice and important for me to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Such comments motivates us more than anything and shows us we are on the right path.

Faruk Boyaci