“fantastic customer service,wonderful location,however!”
Review of Sirkeci Mansion

Sirkeci Mansion
Ranked #4 of 1,140 Hotels in Istanbul
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“fantastic customer service,wonderful location,however!”
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I think that this hotel is over rated. Before all other posters shoot me down in flames let me explain.
If your priority is fantastic customer service and a wonderful location then this is the hotel for you. I will not further commend the excellent customer relations service from the collection at the airport to the meet and greet and the first class service of Pelin and her colleagues. They are great.
However, I like to consider everything.
Unless you are on the top floor of the hotel you do not have a view of Gulhane Park. The hotel overlooks several 'motor factor' distributors. At night they are all shuttered with blank facades. So unless you are on the top floor this is your outlook.
As previous correspondents have commented the rooms are on the small side again the more exclusive rooms are bigger.
The swimming pool is cold and unless a cold dip is required after a sauna it was not for me. I did not see anyone using it. I have used several Hammam's before but this one did not seem to get to the required operating temperature. The slabs were warm but the overall temperature did not reach the required levels.
Would I stay here again? Probably not.
From 12rth March a basic double room costs 184 euros which I think is expensive for bed and breakfast.
I just think that overall for those type of prices every catergory needs to be 100% and in my opinion it is not.

2 Thank Dave098

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt-Main, GERMANY
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We have stayed 5 days in that extra ordinary Hotel.Our room was 3403, 4th. floor, overlooking the Topkapi-park.. We had a queen-size bed with the selection of special comfortabel pillows. Safe, bathing-gown, hous-slippers, the shower-cabin was clean and the shower-bath-nozzle well functioning. Tea, coffee and mineral-water was daily provided.
The Hotel exeedet all requirements as well for a outstanding Hotel.
We enjoyed the feature of the guest relation lady for trip planning and all kinds of questions and hints. We called her "our goldpiece". The restaurant and the large breakfast are outstanding, Prices are fair..Has certificats for hygienic water supply. The hamam in the basement with massage is a must for this city-tour. Last but not least: the hotel-managment and owner looks after the premisses and seeks the contact to the guests; every afternoon,at 5 O clock is tea time with free tea and bisqiuts.
Finally, we felt like being welcome and in good hands. Will come back.

2 Thank wbfitz1
USA
Reviewed 22 February 2009

A great stay. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Very close to many popular tourist destinations. The best part was the restaurant. We found it hard to leave and venture out to other food destinations because the food here is outstanding. Come here!

London, England
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Really an excellent hotel. Very friendly, helpful staff, good value for money, nice central location, good rooms and with super comfortable beds. Perhaps the best thing about the hotel was that the food was AMAZING. Could barely tear ourselves away to eat anywhere else.

Also lots of nice little pluses: free sandwiches and afternoon tea between 4.30-6.30, 24 hour room service (I personally love being able to order something at 4 in the morning...)

My minor complaints are that the elevator is a little cramped and our room was slightly on the small side (though still perfectly fine - and we had just a standard double room).

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

2 Thank RamblingRambler
Vleuten
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Found the hotel on Tripadvisor so we were full of expectations. This was no disappointment! The hotel is great and the staff is very helpful. We enjoyed all of our stay in the hotel and the diversity of Istanbul. Beds are big and nice. Everything is nicely decorated and cozy. At 16.00h it is tea time in the lobby with apple tea and local pastries on the house. In the basement is a great sauna with swimming pool and Hamam. The breakfast is very nice. For dining the young enthusiastic female manager gave us a good recommendation. The Zinham Kebab house at the bridge next to the bus station. We enjoyed it so much we went twice! Fantastic views and GREAT food. The bread is made fresh in their oven and the meat is grilled on charcoal. Not too fancy but authentic Turkish food. Not that inferior altered touristic food you can find easily everywhere.
The Konak Hotel certainly contributed to a fantastic city trip! The Turks are very nice and warm people. We will certainly go back to Istanbul and it will stay at the Konak or the new hotel which the owner plans to build next.
If you go. Enjoy. Marc Notenboom

1 Thank marc_vleuten_NL
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 16 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Sirkeci Konak for five nights at the beginning of February 2009.
I won't re-write all of the glowing compliments given to the hotel, its location, its rooms, its cleanliness, etc. They are all quite true, and I agree with all of them.

My focus, like other recent reviewers, will be on the absolutely phenomenal hospitality we were shown by everyone (repeat: everyone) on the hotel staff. From the time we entered and were offered drinks and food (the famous afternoon tea), to the time we left with our hosts waving to us from the front door, we felt like true guests, instead of like paying inhabitants that most hotels make one feel.
While Pelin has, and very accurately, been singled out for compliments by other reviewers, she is only one component of a team that works hard, but seemingly effortlessly, to ensure that all guests not only enjoy their stay at the hotel, but also appreciate the majesty and history that is Istanbul.

And the downright fun that is Istanbul, too. How many other hotel staff invite a guest and his wife to accompany them to an important football match (soccer game)? They not only did, but also gave them a lift in their personal vehicle and provided the appropriate club (team) tee shirts!

My husband and I have traveled fairly extensively, both on business and for enjoyment. I cannot think of another hotel in which our stay was so absolutely pleasant. Personally, I think that, instead of the Sirkeci Konak's staff doing internships at huge hotel chains like Hilton and Ritz-Carlton, the latter should send its folks to the Sirkeci Konak to learn a thing or two.

2 Thank pcsqueen
London
Reviewed 12 February 2009

My wife and I have recently returned from a short stay at Sirkeci Konak. We chose this hotel primarily due to the very positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We were certainly not disappointed. Our standard room above the front of the hotel, was very clean and modern. We appreciated the hot drink facilities in the room. The breakfast buffet was very extensive, with pretty much everything you could want, including fresh honeycomb and Turkish delight! We took advantage of the tea with sandwiches and then the wellness centre every afternoon. Very welcome after a tough day sightseeing. Saving the best until last, the hotel’s main asset is its’ staff. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful and made our brief stay as enjoyable as we could have possibly expected. Both my wife and I celebrated a birthday whilst we were there and special thanks goes to Pelin, for arranging a cake and presents.

I don’t know when next we might visit Istanbul, but whenever we do, we shall certainly stay at the hotel again.

PS. We flew into Sabiha Gokcen airport. The best way to get to the hotel is the Havas bus to Taksim Square (every hour, 10 Turkish Lire) and then a taxi from the square to the hotel (12 – 15 Turkish Lire), although the driver did have some trouble finding it.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple