“Wonderful hotel - full of character, friendly but professional staff and so clean!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sirkeci Mansion

Sirkeci Mansion
Ranked #6 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Birmingham, Uk
Reviewed 5 March 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights and loved it. I would call the rooms cosy rather than small, they had everything you needed and were beautifully decorated, full of Turkish character. We have stayed in many hotels and this is probably the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in, even the plugholes were scrubbed!
All the staff were very friendly and helpful, from the receptionist, to waiting staff to the cleaners. I am vegetarian and had plenty of choice at breakfast. We ate in the restaurant twice and had very good food, service and Turkish wine. We also ate at the Orient Express Hotel which was just around the corner and had wonderful food with fantastic views over the Bospherous!
The Turkish Bath was wonderful. I thought the temperature was just right. I visited the Cemberlitas Public Turkish Bath (which was a wonderful experience) and that was a similar temperature. It's not like a steam room, you have to lie on the hot marble slab (hotter around the sides of the room) and pour hot water over you periodically in order to perspire and it is very relaxing. The pool was small but we used it a couple of times for a quick swim and found the temperature fine!
The hotel is perfectly situated, within a ten minute walk of the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque. Sitting between the Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque listening to the call to prayer is a mesmerising experience (apart from the interruptions from shoe shiners)! We loved Istanbul and will definitely visit again and stay at the Sirkeci Konak!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JudeC1
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Sirkeci Mansion, responded to this review, 12 November 2014
My Dear Guest;

Thank you very much for honoring us with your kind comments and becoming a part of our global family. It is very important to hear that you had a pleasing stay at our hotel.

I hope to see you again in Istanbul with us in the Sirkeci Mansion Family.

Kind Regards,

Faruk Boyaci
Owner of Sirkeci Mansion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I just returned from a 7 night stay at this hotel and I absolutely loved it. Everything positive written about this hotel is true so I will try not to be redundant.

Rooms: We got a very good rate on this hotel through booking.com. We stayed for 3 nights in a regular room and then were upgraded to the superior room simply because we asked. The superior room is on the top (5th) floor and it clears the bldg’s in front. We had park views and a glimmer of the water. The room also has a king sized bed and large balcony. If you have a choice between the two- I would def pay more for the larger room. The standard rooms are fairly small albeit very comfortable. We were on the 4th floor in the standard room with a small balcony. It was an ok view but I would NOT have liked to be any lower than that. The shower pressure was great and the rooms were warm. I note that because it was freezing outside. I traveled through Europe in December and a lot of the hotel rooms did not provide adequate heat. Rest assured, you will be toasty!

Location: Walk to all the historic sites, grand bazaar etc. The street the hotel is on is not pretty. It’s located across the street from Kamal’s car shop. You will get over this though. One thing you should note before you go is that the hotel is hard to find. Every cab driver we had could NOT find the hotel- especially at night. After the second day or so when you have an idea of the area, you will be able to guide the cab drivers like we did. It’s actually not hard to find but it seemed to confuse the drivers.

Service: I need to comment on the service of this hotel because truly, in all my travels, I have never had such a warm and helpful staff. They were on a first name basis with us on day 2. Pelin is magnificent. If I owned a hotel I would want someone like her working for me.

Food: Breakfast was amazing and we loved the afternoon tea time. Overall, I would advise to leave the Sultanahmet area at night (it was dead) and venture to other more lively neighborhoods for dinner. We had our best two meals at 360 restaurant and at Mikla (located in the Marmara Pera hotel). Both are chic restaurants that boast a stylish crowd. Amazingly enough, both actually serve fine food as well. I only say that because we were given restaurant recommendations that were not very good. Both 360 and Mikla give you the ambiance and the food. Also check out the Bebek neighborhood as it also has a nice scene at night. We had cocktails at trendy Lucca and dinner at Lulu. Ask the locals about Pelit. Its THE BEST chocolate place I have ever encountered. Better chocolate than Demel in Vienna. I only knew about it because my boyfriend is from Istanbul and his family requested him to bring chocolate back from there. The one we went to is in Yesikloy (near the airport) but there are others in Istanbul. I am pretty sure there is one in Bebek and also Levent. The chocolate covered Turkish delights are one of their specialties.

What not to do: Don’t go to the malls. It was pouring rain one day and I wanted to be indoors so I went to both Kanyon Mall and Cevahir Mall. There is nothing there that you can’t get in the US for cheaper. It was a waste of time!

Safety: I was alone during the day while my bf worked. I walked to all the sites and yes, men did bother me but it was more annoying than anything else. I just ignored them. Always count your change. I gave 20 Lira to get into one of the sites and the cashier didn’t want to give me the 5 lira back until I asked him to. Also many of the cab drivers don’t give you enough change back- they did this to us three times- until my bf asked for the change.

Overall a fabulous hotel in an amazing country- I would HIGHLY recommend a stay here. Please email me if you need more information. Happy travels!

2 Thank RoxxyGirl
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I think that this hotel is over rated. Before all other posters shoot me down in flames let me explain.
If your priority is fantastic customer service and a wonderful location then this is the hotel for you. I will not further commend the excellent customer relations service from the collection at the airport to the meet and greet and the first class service of Pelin and her colleagues. They are great.
However, I like to consider everything.
Unless you are on the top floor of the hotel you do not have a view of Gulhane Park. The hotel overlooks several 'motor factor' distributors. At night they are all shuttered with blank facades. So unless you are on the top floor this is your outlook.
As previous correspondents have commented the rooms are on the small side again the more exclusive rooms are bigger.
The swimming pool is cold and unless a cold dip is required after a sauna it was not for me. I did not see anyone using it. I have used several Hammam's before but this one did not seem to get to the required operating temperature. The slabs were warm but the overall temperature did not reach the required levels.
Would I stay here again? Probably not.
From 12rth March a basic double room costs 184 euros which I think is expensive for bed and breakfast.
I just think that overall for those type of prices every catergory needs to be 100% and in my opinion it is not.

2 Thank Dave098
Frankfurt-Main, GERMANY
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We have stayed 5 days in that extra ordinary Hotel.Our room was 3403, 4th. floor, overlooking the Topkapi-park.. We had a queen-size bed with the selection of special comfortabel pillows. Safe, bathing-gown, hous-slippers, the shower-cabin was clean and the shower-bath-nozzle well functioning. Tea, coffee and mineral-water was daily provided.
The Hotel exeedet all requirements as well for a outstanding Hotel.
We enjoyed the feature of the guest relation lady for trip planning and all kinds of questions and hints. We called her "our goldpiece". The restaurant and the large breakfast are outstanding, Prices are fair..Has certificats for hygienic water supply. The hamam in the basement with massage is a must for this city-tour. Last but not least: the hotel-managment and owner looks after the premisses and seeks the contact to the guests; every afternoon,at 5 O clock is tea time with free tea and bisqiuts.
Finally, we felt like being welcome and in good hands. Will come back.

2 Thank wbfitz1
USA
Reviewed 22 February 2009

A great stay. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Very close to many popular tourist destinations. The best part was the restaurant. We found it hard to leave and venture out to other food destinations because the food here is outstanding. Come here!

London, England
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Really an excellent hotel. Very friendly, helpful staff, good value for money, nice central location, good rooms and with super comfortable beds. Perhaps the best thing about the hotel was that the food was AMAZING. Could barely tear ourselves away to eat anywhere else.

Also lots of nice little pluses: free sandwiches and afternoon tea between 4.30-6.30, 24 hour room service (I personally love being able to order something at 4 in the morning...)

My minor complaints are that the elevator is a little cramped and our room was slightly on the small side (though still perfectly fine - and we had just a standard double room).

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

2 Thank RamblingRambler
Vleuten
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Found the hotel on Tripadvisor so we were full of expectations. This was no disappointment! The hotel is great and the staff is very helpful. We enjoyed all of our stay in the hotel and the diversity of Istanbul. Beds are big and nice. Everything is nicely decorated and cozy. At 16.00h it is tea time in the lobby with apple tea and local pastries on the house. In the basement is a great sauna with swimming pool and Hamam. The breakfast is very nice. For dining the young enthusiastic female manager gave us a good recommendation. The Zinham Kebab house at the bridge next to the bus station. We enjoyed it so much we went twice! Fantastic views and GREAT food. The bread is made fresh in their oven and the meat is grilled on charcoal. Not too fancy but authentic Turkish food. Not that inferior altered touristic food you can find easily everywhere.
The Konak Hotel certainly contributed to a fantastic city trip! The Turks are very nice and warm people. We will certainly go back to Istanbul and it will stay at the Konak or the new hotel which the owner plans to build next.
If you go. Enjoy. Marc Notenboom