“Luxury Boutique Hotel away from city hassle”

Sumahan on the Water
Ranked #205 of 1,173 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Sumahan is an oasis of calm on the Asian side of the Bosphorus but only a short (15 min) boat ride from the city. The rooms were comfortable and roomy, the views just superb, and the food very good- many non residents arrive (by boat) to eat here so booking for the evening is essential. There are two other restaurants just next door, and we ate at both but found the hotel offered best value for money. Reception were very helpful and would arrange excursions as necessary. Breakfast on the terrace was unforgettable, watching the world in boats go by. Once or twice we missed the hotel launch but found it easy to get a public launch to further up the Bosphorus and get a taxi back to the hotel. We would stay here again next time we visit istanbul.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have sunbeds on the lawn but do not offer any privacy. Upper floors all have supe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 August 2013

it was my first time in istanbul...and i was lucky to discover it from the Sumahan on the water ... you are literally on the bosporus, overlooking both the asian and the european side of this magically inspiring millenium city... there is a private boat shuttle which renders the distance to the historical centre relatively close...it is a design hotel...no exaggerated, ostantatious (standard with the large "luxury chains")...but in my sense, pure, simple luxury...quite, peaceful ... I'd always come back here!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My family stayed for a week and found it very comfortable and accommodating. The staff was very helpful and kind. We were able to take full advantage of the boat service across the Bosphorus which made the location manageable for seeing the tourist sights in old town, although you'll have to be up for a trip on the tram once you get to the European side, and you'll have to plan ahead a bit. The view was beautiful, and on the hotter days the location was cooler than other parts of the city. There's plenty of breakfast which you can enjoy taking in the view, and the restaurants associated with the hotel was very nice as well..we especially liked the steak house restaurant.

Room Tip: We stayed in a family suite which consisted of a loft with a king bed, and a pull out couch on the f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tomdene
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I read fabulous reviews of the Sumahan, and I was so excited to go - it a small boutique hotel on the Bosphorus, 26 rooms, each with a view and windows that open to let in fresh air. That is the good news, from there it just goes down hill.

The space is lovely, the staff a disappointment - the bathrooms are gray and white striped marble, hard to keep clean perhaps since the bathroom floor was dirty when I arrived and never cleaned while I was there for 3 nights, turn down service happened 1 night of 3, and the cleaning service never removed empty cans and lemon slices that grew more desiccated by the day.

The hotel advertises Internet access. That is true, but the wifi is terrible, intermittent and incredibly slow. For regular travelers who depend on access, this is not a viable hotel.

The hamam attendant was lovely, and the hamam experience fine, but the small gym was never cleaned either, 2 days of 3 there was water, and 1 day I was able to find a clean towel. Headphones for the cardio machine were neither changed nor moved. I put one set to the side on the first day and it was still in the same spot when I departed.

Perhaps the biggest problem is the front desk and the reservations system. I reserved online and was unable to confirm that my reservation existed, despite valiantly trying several times. I then turned to a more traditional approach, having a Turkish friend call. That resulted in a reservation, sadly with 26 rooms no one in the sales department or the overstaffed front desk noted that now I had 2 reservations, even when I changed the arrival date. I was not even informed of this until the second day of the stay, and even then, the front desk was not really able to explain the problem. When I asked for the general manager, she insisted upon payment for both and we finally "settled" in an unsatisfactory way that at least spared us further entanglement. If you stay here, watch your reservation with eagle eyes!

In a small hotel, I expected personalized service, but the front desk staff could not even give me a tour of the hotel, or explain the facilities.

The Sumahan also advertises a private launch, which is great. It is a perfect way to get from the Asian side to the European side. The front desk staff could not explain how to use the launch to connect to local transportation. Again, another disappointment.

Room Tip: Ask to be far from the breakfast room, since noise carries
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank MLH325
Tuba T, General Manager at Sumahan on the Water, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear Sumahan Guests,
I am very sorry and disappointed to read your message regarding your stay at Sumahan on the Water.
As a professional who has been in the industry for over 25 years, many times I have come across double reservations made by guests for the same dates and periods of time. Usually, it is very easy for us to realize the mistake and double check with the guests, as we use a system that allows us to easily pick up on double bookings. However, in your case it was difficult to see the mistake. We received two reservations, one from our online reservation system and one through a travel agent. Each reservation was made under different names and surnames, which made it impossible for us to detect that they were made for the same couple.
During our conversation we both agreed that we would charge you for only one night, even though our cancellation policy is to charge you for three nights stay. In addition, as a good will gesture I also presented you a complimentary Hamam treatment.
Hope we may have the chance to welcome you here in the near future and have the opportunity
to change your thoughts.
With very kind regards,

Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights during out last days in istanbul. The hotel is very nice, right by the bosphorus and all rooms have a magnificent view of the bosphorus (its very pretty at night with all the lights). Room is spacious and the bed is very comfortable. We love the contemporary design and the big windows where we could just lay in bed and watch the bosphorus life passing by. Would be great if room includes a tea/coffee maker. Service was also good - staffs speaks english and the front desk manager, Emre Koc, is very helpful with booking, direction and eating recommendation. Would suggest to stay here once you have had enough of sightseeing the old city and other parts of the european side. It is located on the asian side - you may not have the flexibility you have when staying in the sultanahmet/taksim area despite the free shuttle boat. The hotel has 2 restaurants, both are pricey. The one next to the hotel, Tapasuma, is very nice and busy. Expect a lot of noise during dinner time (but we cant hear it from the room). The town center is about 10 min walk, a lot of small restaurants and nice dessert shops. In about 10 min taxi ride you will get to Kanlica, a small village famous for its delicious yoghurt. Overall, this is the perfect hotel to rest and enjoy the last days of your holiday. The bosphorus view is unbeatable!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We were impressed about the wonderful location, the superb rooms with fireplace (even though in July you wouldn't need it, but I imagine that in early spring nights it's beautiful to have it), hammam and garden with view to the river. The service was outstanding, they literally read your wishes from your eyes. Breakfast on the terrace early in the morning as well as dinner with the stunning view... absolutely great experience, it was a pitty that we only stayed 3 nights.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel a year ago (sorry for taking so long to post this review) and truly enjoyed all of our 4 nights here. When possible we prefer boutique hotels and, although it was on the Asian side and didn't know what to expect from staying there, we didn't have any doubt when booking it, purely because of the many good reviews it received. We were not disappointed at all, in fact this little gem made our stay in Istanbul.
We arrived very early in the morning after spending a sleepless night on the plane, exhausted and knackered, and the staff were waiting for us with a smile. Our room was not ready at that time however we could have breakfast (typical Turkish breakfast with olives, cheese, ham, tomatoes, honey, bread, yoghurt and sweet things as well) on the terrace and were given the chance to wash and get changed in the spa changing room. We then ventured to the city crossing the Bosphorus with their boat and the 20 minute trip is worthwhile.
We came back with the last return service available (if I remember correctly there were 3 outbound services (9:00, 10:00 and 11:00) and two inbound ones (18:30 and 19:30). At that very moment we really appreciated the fact of staying on the quieter side of Istanbul.
We ended the first day of our stay with the best hammam for couples ever. It was the first time we had this treatment and didn't know what to expect: well, it was just pure bliss and at the end we were served apple tea and dried fruit on a day bed to further relax. We then had dinner at the hotel restaurant and, apart from a dinner in a close by restaurant recommended by the concierge on the second night, we always dined in since we really liked the food, the easygoing atmosphere and the very attentive staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
The hotel is just amazing and well appointed, rooms are spacious and beds are extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are modern and you can have a shower overlooking the Bosphorous which is simply amazing.
If we ever go back to Istanbul we will undoubtedly go back to the Sumahan and we can't recommend this place enough!
Thank you all for making our stay a truly memorable one!

Room Tip: All rooms face the Bosphorus
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple