“perfect anniversary getaway nest” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sumahan on the Water

Sumahan on the Water
Ranked #227 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Istanbul, Turkey
“perfect anniversary getaway nest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

perfect Bosphorus view, fireplace, great ambiance, nice services.. It wouldn't be more romantic then this. we were on our wedding anniversary and we had fantastic time.. It is one of the best getaway hotels in Istanbul..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Fascinating! Awesome! Amazing! For those who are looking for 100% relaxation and harmony. Irreproachable top level service, great cuicine. The stuff is friendly and professional, ready to help you 24 hours a day. Perfect Bosphorus view out of your window - the strait is just 20 meters close to the hotel. You can cross the Boshorus by hotel boat. It's free. The best choice in Asian part of Istanbul! Highly recommended!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Chevy Chase, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have to say I'm torn about this place. It's a little gem in a fantastic location. Given a better room at a different time of year and staying as a tourist instead of on business I would have rated it more highly; however, we weren't completely comfortable in our accommodation here.

The first thing to note is that this isn't a business hotel. It's a boutique hotel for couples, really. The second thing to note is that if you're unfamiliar with Istanbul the location is not very good. It's a far, far taxi ride to tourist attractions and would be very frustrating unless you know the city and the Asian side well.

I stayed here while on business during August. It was the end of our holiday with my wife's family (she's Turkish) on the Aegean and I had meetings in Istanbul. I usually stay on the European side near Taksim but wanted to try the Asian side for a change (and because of the unrest around Taksim earlier in the year.) I had my wife and daughter with me. We were given the smallest standard room tucked all the way in the far corner of the hotel on the top floor. It was hot and humid outside and, unfortunately, the ventilation system in the hotel was insufficient to cool this room properly, situated as it was at probably the farthest point from the a/c system. It was comfortable at night and in the morning. By late afternoon, however, it was much too warm and the a/c couldn't cope until midnight.

The breakfast didn't start until 7:00, which was a problem for me as I had to leave for meetings early. The staff graciously allowed me to eat as they were setting up. This was the high point of my stay, sitting alone on the terrace breakfasting while the first ships of the day glided silently by on the Bosphorus only several hundred metres away.

We didn't sample the food at the hotel beyond breakfast, which was adequate but not special. You can take a taxi 10 minutes up the Bosphorus to Kandilli, which has a couple little fish restaurants right on the water by the ferry station. It probably helps to speak fluent Turkish here, however; I didn't see any tourists at dinner there. You can walk five minutes south (down the Bosphorus) to Çengelköy, which has more restaurants. Longer taxi rides will take you to the heart of Üsküdar just south of the first Bosphorus Bridge and more restaurants are there.

There's no gym in the hotel and we didn't have time to try the spa. An obvious feature is the boat that will take you across the water to the European side. We took advantage of that on our final evening to ride across to Kuruçeşme, where we enjoyed a wonderful dinner on the roof deck of a restaurant there where the kind front desk staff made a reservation for us.

In our small "Deluxe" standard room there really wasn't room to work at the desk if I had needed to in the evening. Instead, I would have taken a table on the terrace outside, enjoyed a cocktail and worked there.

Given our small room, inadequate cooling, cramped bathroom with just a tub and hand-held shower, and lack of a place to exercise (beyond the option of running the steep hills in the neighborhood across the road from the hotel) I had an average experience here. If we had a larger room, and if it had been October and cooler, I would have given the place a higher rating. I may give it another shot next summer and ensure that we get a bigger and different room on the floor below. I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples as it's a splendid romantic spot and you can't beat the majesty of the waterside location and views. In fact, as a place for a weekend getaway with my wife I would book a room here without hesitating. It's understated, ridiculously romantic, and feels secluded.

So, as I said, I'm ambivalent about the Sumahan. For lovers, probably superb. On business, meh.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Abbotsbury92
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

It s a wonderful hotel, a perfect hidden place on the Asian side of the Bosphorus with a splendid view day and night on the water. Its the perfect place for a couple. Although during our end of year stay, there were many families with young children specially french speaking (french and swiss), it was quiet, and perfect for couples. The junior suite we took was perfect, a wonderful view, and excellent bedding. The rooms are beautifully decorated and it was almost like we were on a luxurious boat. The bathroom was vast with 5 stars amenities, our stay was comfortable and cozy. The breakfast delicious and they always accommodated our requests, even when we came later than the specified time. What really made our stay was the kindness, sweetness and hospitality of the whole staff. Housekeeping was prompt and we could ask for it at any time of the day, the kindness and help shown by the front desk was more than in many other 5 stars hotel chains. Most importantly after I left I realized that I forgot a pouch filled with over 1000 euros of cash in different currencies, I called them the next day after I flew home and they returned it to a friend of mine who was staying in another place in Istanbul within 24 hours. I don't think many other places would have done this. Every single person at the front desk was great although there was a young gentleman whose name I unfortunately forgot, who was simply outstanding.
Sumahan, a place we highly recommend and to which we ll definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dina L
London,UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed over Christmas 2013 and to be perfectly honest we were not as impressed as we thought we would be.

Please do not get me wrong here, the setting is quite stunning and the views of the Bosphorus spectacular. I think we chose the wrong room....a junior suite which was sandwiched between reception above and the breakfast room/evening restaurant below so not exactly peaceful. That and the canned music on a speaker outside the window was basically awful ......what is it with hotels and their music? Breakfast with 'Dying Swan' daily is enough to make you slash your wrists.Give them their due they did turn it down when asked!

The food in both restaurants was excellent in the evening........breakfast was just rather boring. Nothing new each day and all rather bland so if you are there , as we were, for 6 nights, all very same same.

Style over substance is what we decided........on hindsight we should have stayed on the European side for 3 nights and then Sumahan. So yes our choice.......I think in the summer it would make a fantastic place to stay.I have to be honest and say we would not stay there again but, from previous reviews, people love it so we must be peculiar!!!

If you go.......go for the amazing views, great shuttle boat (when he remebers to fetch you!!) and the eveining meals.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adelet
Luxembourg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is the second time we stayed at this place. We love the view, the room and also the private boat. We are less enthusiastic about the service (they need one additional staff for the breakfast room!). This time, however, we had a rather bad experience. We have a two year old son and we found a white pill below our bed! Fortunately we found it before our son did - we don't want to think about what could have happened in that case! When we informed the reception upon check-out (and when we gave them the pill), they told us that the general manager was busy and would come back to us. As we didn't hear anything during three days, we sent an email. The reaction we received down-played the event as an "inconvenience" and informed us that the cleaning is done properly according to most other guests. A reply below the level aspired by this hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Blacktulipa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

its the perfect property to come home to after a long day in Istanbul..... awesome food , amazing view of the Bhosphrus straits. its a hidden gem of a boutique hotel. excellent service 24/7 and has real awesome food at the restaurant for dinner. the buffet breakfast is moderate but has enough to choose from for a hearty meal.its value for money which i believe will outbeat even the 5* hotels just round the corner....!

the view is just amazing . spacious rooms, are of high quality with spacious bathtub, shower etc. has a complimentary nice wooden boat to cross to the european side vice versa .

Room Tip: get the rooms with the lawn outside, believe its the duplex rooms.