See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 October 2009

With so much to chose from on the internet I was so lucky to have found the Sumahan, the high scoring reviews are justified. I loved the fact my bedroom had floor to ceiling windows with views over the Bosphorus and that after breakfast I could jump into the hotels free boat service and be dropped off on the European side to walk around sites such as the Blue Mosque & Grand Bazaar. (you don't need to book a Bosphorus trip with this service!) Laden with bags and with tired legs I was grateful for the boat ride back to tranquility. There's a very popular fish restaurant next door where I watched several glamorous parties arrive by speed boat. Apparently in the summer months there is a rather chic floating swimming pool just by the opposite bank of the river which the hotel boat can drop you off at for a days lounging! I didn't try the hotels Hamman but a couple I spoke to said it was amazing. The staff totally made the stay - I have couldn't have felt more at home.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Tucked away on the Asian shore of the Bosphorous just up from the Beylerbeyi Palace, this small hotel provides the perfect spot for a relaxing break. From the moment you arrive the staff discreetly look after your every need - with a chilled glass of lemonade as you stroll to your room after check in, being the first of many delights. The views from the suite we took were breath taking, and the rooms themselves were simply but very stylishly furnished. The bathroom was superb - as you would expect in Turkey.
The hotel has an excellent bar / restaurant with a beautiful waterside terrace, a gym, its own hamam and a private launch which can take you across the Bosphorous at various times of the day. The library is very well chosen and in winter I can imagine strolling back to the fireplace in your room to enjoy the book of your choice.
It is the staff however who are key to the success of this hotel and I couldn't fault them.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeffersonLondon
Reviewed 8 September 2009

The hotel was exactly as stated . The best view in Istanbuhl. The room was beautiful, the staff was excellent, the spa was very good. But the most interesting part of the trip is that we left $3,000 in the safe and they returned it to us. I would recomend this hotel to anyone. Yes it is a little tricky to get to the European side but the trade off is well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2009

The sumahan made our trip to turkey completely unforgettable from the lovely and helpful staff to the breathtaking views and rooms. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the rooms plush and comfortable. The location is remote which was exactly what we were looking for for this leg of the trip--it was calm, quiet and peaceful. The whole stay was very special and truly could not have been more perfect.
The private boat was an amazing experience which allowed us to essentiallly take a private tour of the bosphorous for no added cost.
We give this hotel the highest recommendation. I hope we have the oportunity to stay at the sumahan again--and when we do we'll be sure to catch a fennerbache game!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Lured by the romantic setting & some of the buzz -incl. the Conde Nast Traveler rating, our experience from an amateur desk staff to appaling services (for starters, we had to pay the upgrade to get a room that was not in the stairwell, pathetic restaurant, meaningless complimentary boat shuttle runs only twice a day, 20 mn waiting for room service..etc) was rather disapointing...This is not across the water, it is a different continent & just a different notion of quality & professionalism.
For anybody who has traveled the world in small or traditional luxury hotels, this doesn't warrant the buzz nor the overpriced rates that would get you amuch better location & a real world class hotel like the Ciragan Kempinski to which we switched too after 2 nights...

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business