See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I think needing some days to explore the wonders of Istanbul it was perfect to come across such a wonderful hotel. A retreat when arriving back to the Asian side by private ferry after busy adventures seeing the sites. The small towns within walking distance or local bus all having great restaurants. The hotel itself has a fantastic breakfast where you can sit and relax and plan your day with the water at your doorstep. The dinner menu is also excellent. To take time to enjoy the Spa is so very worthwhile. It is a sensational experience. All the staff are extremely helpful and kind and truly hope I have the opportunity to visit again soon. This was however my second stay at Sumahan in 2 years and it was very nice to be welcomed and recognised by staff. A wonderful experience in perfect surrounds with luxurious rooms with beautiful views of the Bospherous

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2009

The perfect place for a romantic break. Our first time in Istanbul and we were not disappointed. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this hotel. It was spotlessly clean and well presented. The staff were very friendly and incredibly attentive, nothing was ever too much trouble. Infact they willingly went that extra mile for you every day. The food was delicious and presented well. The location of the hotel could not have been better, it seemed like we were miles away from the hustle and bustle of the city with a very serene atmosphere. Stunning views overlooking the Bosphorus and a fun boat ride to the other side when needed which was by far the best way to travel considering the amount of traffic in Istanbul.
This hotel made our stay really wonderful and if we were ever to return I think we would definitely choose to stay at the Sumahan on the Water, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2009

With so much to chose from on the internet I was so lucky to have found the Sumahan, the high scoring reviews are justified. I loved the fact my bedroom had floor to ceiling windows with views over the Bosphorus and that after breakfast I could jump into the hotels free boat service and be dropped off on the European side to walk around sites such as the Blue Mosque & Grand Bazaar. (you don't need to book a Bosphorus trip with this service!) Laden with bags and with tired legs I was grateful for the boat ride back to tranquility. There's a very popular fish restaurant next door where I watched several glamorous parties arrive by speed boat. Apparently in the summer months there is a rather chic floating swimming pool just by the opposite bank of the river which the hotel boat can drop you off at for a days lounging! I didn't try the hotels Hamman but a couple I spoke to said it was amazing. The staff totally made the stay - I have couldn't have felt more at home.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Tucked away on the Asian shore of the Bosphorous just up from the Beylerbeyi Palace, this small hotel provides the perfect spot for a relaxing break. From the moment you arrive the staff discreetly look after your every need - with a chilled glass of lemonade as you stroll to your room after check in, being the first of many delights. The views from the suite we took were breath taking, and the rooms themselves were simply but very stylishly furnished. The bathroom was superb - as you would expect in Turkey.
The hotel has an excellent bar / restaurant with a beautiful waterside terrace, a gym, its own hamam and a private launch which can take you across the Bosphorous at various times of the day. The library is very well chosen and in winter I can imagine strolling back to the fireplace in your room to enjoy the book of your choice.
It is the staff however who are key to the success of this hotel and I couldn't fault them.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeffersonLondon
Reviewed 8 September 2009

The hotel was exactly as stated . The best view in Istanbuhl. The room was beautiful, the staff was excellent, the spa was very good. But the most interesting part of the trip is that we left $3,000 in the safe and they returned it to us. I would recomend this hotel to anyone. Yes it is a little tricky to get to the European side but the trade off is well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple