See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Cannot imagine a better place to stay in Istanbul! Fantastic contemporary hotel with spectacular views from every position, situated along the Bosphorous Sea. Fabulous service from knowledgeable, incredible staff. The Sumahan has it's own boat that acts as a taxi across to central Istanbul, which is a wonderful way to get around. The Sumahan is a refuge from the hectic city atmosphere of Istanbul and is a wonderfully serene place to escape to after a long day soaking up the sights. It is also located in a neighbourhood with some of the best fish restaurants in Istanbul.
Cannot say enough about our fantastic experience at The Sumahan!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2010

This is my second stay at Sumahan, formerly a distillery and now a luxury boutique hotel. Last year I came with a tv film crew and was super-impressed with the efficiency and professionalism of staff, the art-form presentation of a delicious Turkish breakfast, the excellent coffee and the lovely, spacious, contemporary rooms. This year, I have more to add to the list. Not only is my room gorgeous, complete with fireplace and comfortable seating facing the Bosphorus, but so was my sleep last night. The bed is very comfortable, as are the pillows. Linens are top notch too. Turkish breakfast was even better than I remembered it, with the addition of an egg dish and fresh strawberry crepes (in the UK they would call them pancakes, but in NA we call them crepes.) Today I treated myself to my first Turkish Bath in the hotel's hamam, and I can honestly say it was the best I have ever had! Also, the hamam was spotless. I wish I could eat in tonight as I know their manti is delicious, but I have another meeting. This is one hotel you will want to return to. This is the perfect place to unwind for a few days after touring and before returning home, or after staying in Sultanahmet, the old city. A drive up the Bosphorus from Cengilkoy on the Asian side provides one with a real sense of how the locals live and it's a beautiful drive too. One final note: the spoken English has dramatically improved since last year and the staff is the same, which says a lot for management. Also, I have noticed that they are very proactive and take care of details before they are asked or need to!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank BrendaTraveller
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I thought the Sumahan was great for several reasons. First, the location is stunning. Right on the shores of the Bosphorus, I was treated to a fantastic view 24 hours a day. I loved watching the sun glitter off the water, and the boats proceeding up the channel and the lights on the bridge at night. I really enjoyed Istanbul, but most of the tourist attractions are in a busy and congested part of the city. The Sumahan, located on the Asian side, provided a relaxing and quiet interval during the vacation which my teenage daughter and I had in Istanbul. Yet, we did not feel at all out of it. You can take an enjoyable one half hour ride in the hotel's boat to central Istanbul or you can take a taxi, and I found the fares to be cheap.

I thought the atmosphere at the Sumahan was sophisticated, and the staff was excellent. The level of friendliness and responsiveness at Istanbul hotels is extemely high. In fact, I had never seen anything quite like it. But the Sumahan exceeded even this standard. The staff was incredibly friendly. The food was good too. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Reviewed 8 April 2010

Wonderful staff, impressive views of the Bosphorus and bridge from our bed. The restaurant next door (same owners) was the best we ate in too.

Reviewed 7 April 2010

Somewhat surprised at the 25 minutes water ride from the Europe side, which was in itself a great start to the vacation having sight of some of the sights from the water. From the moment we stepped ashore nothing was too much trouble, the manager on reception was as cheerful as could be explaining everything tp us. We had a super 2 level room.. The food in the restaurant was good, the seafood next door was brilliant. The girl serving us each night had the most welcoming smile I have ever seen. Everything worked, no one coomplaint - Loved it...