All reviews european side boutique hotel bosphorus strait terrace ferries sultanahmet
Reviewed 26 May 2010

If you are after a place were you can rest in peace, if you wish to avoid the crowds of tourists rushing to all directions, but still want to be able to visit Istanbul and not to be too far away from the center, this is an ideal place for you.
Sumahan is situated litterally on the Bosphorus: you will enjoy stunning views of the Bosphorus bridge, fisherman boats and ships cruising up and down, of the several marvallous mosques of Istanbul...all of this, just sitting in your room, or while having breakfast or dinner at the garden restaurant. I took a loft room at the garden level, and was able to sit in a deckchair reading a book and enyoing the cocktail and the strawberries kindly offered by the hotel.
I have also tried the hammam and massage: the best I had in Istanbul!
Another highlight is the little private launch that 'navigates' you from the hotel to Kabatas: simply wonderful!
To conclude: the service is excellent, the rooms are beautiful and clean. The staff is very kind and professional, particularly Nural, who has the ability to make you feel like a star!
I stronlgy recommend this hotel, you will not be disappointed!

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank EleTbilisi
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We stayed at the Sumahan in April for three nights. The location was definitely unexpected and wonderful. The asian side is not nearly as much crowded as the european side, and being a romantic holiday, it was perfetc. Don't expect any nightlife..too far from the clubs... We ate at the hotel restaurant the first night. The food was mediocre and slightly overpriced. The next night we went to the next door restaurant. The food was delicious and the price fair. Even the owner of the Sumahan was eating there with friends, and for at least two nights in a row!!The trip from the asian to the european side, if you can get the hotel's shuttle, is quick and easy. Taxi boats are very expensive! The best airport to arrive to if you want to go to this hotel is Sabiha Gokcen, so you don't have to cross the Bosphorus Bridge, which is orrendously busy any time, day and night

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Where do I start in describing this truly unique small hotel? It's the level of pampering service and attention to detail that made my stay here so outstanding. Its similarity to other European boutique hotels I had experienced in Portugal and Italy struck me, as it successfully blends a historical building with modern design. I found the overall look and feel of the Sumahan to be tasteful and warm.

First of all, my stay here came at the end of a two-week trip to Turkey, ending in Istanbul. I thought that staying in Sultanhamet, near the monuments, would have been better. However, that area was very congested and noisy. Moving to the Sumahan was like taking a step into a magical oasis right in Istanbul.

The boat transfer pick-up point at Kabatas, on Istanbul's European side, was extremely easy for the taxi driver to find. The captain of Sumahan's little boat helped me on board with a smile and off we went on a sunny April day, admiring the views of Istanbul's minarets and riverside palaces. Arriving at the hotel, I was greeted with a glass of fresh lemonade, a swift check-in, and a gracious escort to my room. My room didn't have a room number, but a name, Tarabya. It had a fireplace and large windows overlooking the Bosphorus; everything in the room was placed to maximize the great views. The marble bathroom was well appointed and I loved the handmade soaps.

My last day in Istanbul was my day of rest. I was by then shopped and sight-seed out, so I made the most of the hotel's assets: the Bosphorus itself. I took the shuttle boat across to the nearest point, hopped a bus one stop to the quaint neighbourhood of Ortakoy (the hotel provided an Akbil bus pass); where I ate fried mussels, people watched while sipping a Turkish coffee, meandered a bit, window-shopped, then went back for the return shuttle boat. Going back into Sultanhamet would have been just as easy, with a taxi ride thrown in. That ease of getting to and from the hotel was a pleasant realization, as I hadn't been sure about that. Again, a glass of lemonade greeted my return.

I finished the afternoon in the hotel's garden, sitting on an Adirondack chair facing the Bosphorus. Between watching the boats go by, observing the cormorants fish, and trying to read my book, I dozed off in the sun. When I woke, a wonderful young woman brought out an afternoon tea tray with sage tea and homemade cookies. I had mentioned earlier that I was hoping to enjoy this kind of tea again before I left Turkey and she remembered.

I had booked an appointment for the hamam and went before dinner. It was blissful! The attendant was a lovely woman, who had magical hands. The products were very high quality, the massage skillful and I came out very relaxed, refreshed and glowing like a shiny new penny! It was the best way to prepare for the long flight home the next day.

A final note about the food: Dinner, as well as the breakfasts, were very, very good, as well as the wine selection. The baklava was the best I have ever had - delicate and not syrupy sweet. The presentation was beautiful and the service excellent. Between the seafood restaurants next door and the hotel's own restaurant, I found that a quiet retreat to the hotel at night is a good way to end the day in Istanbul.

My only regret was that my husband wasn't with me this time. I hope to go back to the Sumahan with him the next time I come to Turkey. I would recommend this wonderful hotel in a heartbeat... I couldn't help but think that for honeymooners or people taking a cruise, the Sumahan would be a very special treat!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Cannot imagine a better place to stay in Istanbul! Fantastic contemporary hotel with spectacular views from every position, situated along the Bosphorous Sea. Fabulous service from knowledgeable, incredible staff. The Sumahan has it's own boat that acts as a taxi across to central Istanbul, which is a wonderful way to get around. The Sumahan is a refuge from the hectic city atmosphere of Istanbul and is a wonderfully serene place to escape to after a long day soaking up the sights. It is also located in a neighbourhood with some of the best fish restaurants in Istanbul.
Cannot say enough about our fantastic experience at The Sumahan!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2010

This is my second stay at Sumahan, formerly a distillery and now a luxury boutique hotel. Last year I came with a tv film crew and was super-impressed with the efficiency and professionalism of staff, the art-form presentation of a delicious Turkish breakfast, the excellent coffee and the lovely, spacious, contemporary rooms. This year, I have more to add to the list. Not only is my room gorgeous, complete with fireplace and comfortable seating facing the Bosphorus, but so was my sleep last night. The bed is very comfortable, as are the pillows. Linens are top notch too. Turkish breakfast was even better than I remembered it, with the addition of an egg dish and fresh strawberry crepes (in the UK they would call them pancakes, but in NA we call them crepes.) Today I treated myself to my first Turkish Bath in the hotel's hamam, and I can honestly say it was the best I have ever had! Also, the hamam was spotless. I wish I could eat in tonight as I know their manti is delicious, but I have another meeting. This is one hotel you will want to return to. This is the perfect place to unwind for a few days after touring and before returning home, or after staying in Sultanahmet, the old city. A drive up the Bosphorus from Cengilkoy on the Asian side provides one with a real sense of how the locals live and it's a beautiful drive too. One final note: the spoken English has dramatically improved since last year and the staff is the same, which says a lot for management. Also, I have noticed that they are very proactive and take care of details before they are asked or need to!

• Trip type: Travelled on business