LOCATION: The Sumahan is a great way to experience the Bosphorus waterfront in a boutique hotel setting. If you're a first-timer to Istanbul, it may be a bit far from the action of Sultanahmet and the trendy shopping/dining districts of the European side. But if you prefer your base to be a relaxing escape from the bustle of the city, this is it.
ROOMS: We stayed in a deluxe suite, which was an ideal configuration for two friends, as there were an extra closet and powder room. We loved being able to step out directly onto the riverfront lawn. (Only complaint: since our room was closest to the restaurant, we heard the clanging of dishes. However, I didn't request to change rooms.)
SERVICE: The service was friendly and accommodating. Unless you speak Turkish, you will need the staff to help arrange your transportation, reservations, etc. One problem is the English of the night managers. In a hotel with international clientele and at these rates, you expect better.
- Food at the Sumahan is good. For breakfast, the Turkish egg dish is excellent. I brought my own gluten-free bread and they toasted it for me in the mornings.
- The restaurant two doors down, Rigal, has an excellent though limited menu. Staff there spoke only Turkish.
- My favorite restaurant of the trip was Ulus 29-- the views, decor, menu/food, and service were superlative.
- Traffic is Istanbul is nightmarish. If you can take a boat to cut travel time, whether the public ferry, scheduled hotel launch, or private sea-taxi, I highly recommend it.
A pool would elevate the Sumahan to the next level! As it stands, it's a good, relaxed alternative to the behemoth Ciragan Palace and Four Seasons Bosphorus at a lower price point. We were so comfortable at the Sumahan, we went to breakfast in our pajamas.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sumahan on the Water reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sumahan On The Water Hotel Istanbul
- Sumahan On The Water Istanbul