“Owners wake up!”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sisli
Reviewed 19 April 2014

It rather pains me to give a poor review of this place since I have been here many times over several trips to Istanbul. The food - at least from the counter (from which I usually order rather than the menu) - is pretty good. On prior visits, I have come away having enjoyed the food but thinking it is a bit overpriced for what it is considering the quality otherwise available in Istanbul at those prices. I then was alerted by other reviews on this site as to hidden service and other charges. On my last visit to the restaurant there was a10% charge added to the bill as well as a cover charge. I queried the 10% charge and was told that this was a tax and not a tip. Unconvinced, I asked again whether this was a service charge and was told by two waiters that it was not but was indeed VAT. Unconvinced, I left a tip (as I had done on every prior visit without question).

I have since discovered that this additional charge is not a tax at all and that the waiters had lied. Perhaps this charge had been applied on every prior occasion I visited and had gone unnoticed by me until now. I don't know why they would do something so shortsighted since it has put me off ever returning to a place I rather liked. I don't know if there are reasons for the dishonesty of
the staff - perhaps the owners are underpaying them - I have no idea. What is certain though is that the owners need to wake up or they will stand by and watch an otherwise good restaurant ultimately fail.

2  Thank Sirhashadenuf2drink

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The atmosphere was great, the staff helpful and made very good recommendations; we had no idea as we were on our first night out in Istanbul.

2  Thank Stewartnb
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived there by chance. Food was totally had medium quality, and pricey. Charged us 40liras for sparkling water which we didnt noticed about. 10% for service which we didnt get what for?! We didng get our ordered soup even. What a service! Local people came after us and get their meals faster by waiters. You an find thousands of better options in Istanbul. Not recommend at all! Terrible choice.

2  Thank hmdgh
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We went to this place based on the reviews on another site. We were encouraged because it was very busy with a very local clientele. It didn't take long to understand why. The local clientele was very well served. While we did not want a "fast food" restaurant, neither did we want a very slow food restaurant. The table next to us arrived at the same time, had been served, eaten, paid and left by the time our order was taken. Another group arrived at that table and had begun eating by the time our first plate arrived. The food, which we ordered off the menu, was good but we suspect it was far more pricey than what the locals were eating, all of which seemed to have been chosen from the steam tables we noticed on our way to our table. Language limitations and sulky waiters made us feel that that was not an option for us. However, the crowning touch was when the waiter reminded us rather rudely that service was "not included". There is a "cover" charge, which is common in some establishments and includes cutlery, bread, and water, but there was also a 10% added to the bill. When we questioned that, he showed us the bill and told us that this was a 10% tax. The staff at our hotel confirmed to us that this was, in fact, a 10% service charge and that there is no such 10% added to the bills. It is this kind of dishonesty, along with the unfriendly disposition of the serving staff, that forces me to give this restaurant the lowest possible rating and recommend it not be visited despite the good, if slightly overpriced, food and definitely overpriced beer and wine. There are many other nearby restaurants that don't seem to appear yet on tripadvisor.

2  Thank Garnet C
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

This restaurant serves the best traditional Turkish food in the middle of Istanbul's trendy Nisantasi area. Daily specialities are displayed in front of the kitchen so you don't need a menu. There is also a chef there who speaks a very good English and very helpful. Yes, waiters are waiting for some tips at the end but I think this is everywhere in Istanbul. Full with locals.

1  Thank Elena S