“nice quiet place with great food”
Review of Zencefil

Zencefil
Ranked #984 of 13,895 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Beyoglu
Reviewed 17 April 2013

if you're tired of the tourist restaurants and kebabs during a stay in istanbul, zencefil is a refreshing change. And a gem for vegetarians (although there were 2 non-vegetarian options on the menu, it's not exclusively a vegetarian place). comfy and quiet atmosphere, a lot of character in the decoration as in the menu.

1  Thank Natou32

Reviewed 16 April 2013

I went with three of my friends. It took more than 15 minutes for us to get the menu card. Then we were waiting and waiting and ordered soup for one person and the server brought three. When we want to try so called home made lemonade, we were told it is not available. Suddenly some other waiter came and started taking care of us. Food was excellent but service needs to be improved.

1  Thank MaduraiTraveler
Reviewed 16 April 2013

beautiful interior and exterior space and clean, good food at reasonable prices. The owner, Funda, has studied at McGill and understands Canadian tastes which she combines with Turkish cuisine

1  Thank BenEggs
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I was actually looking forward to this restaurant. My friends told me that this one and the Parsifal are well known.....

First off, the setting, atmosphere and the location are very nice. They even have a small garden (which I'm sure will be nice in the summer time). The interior is nicely done and the overall feeling is, that you should get good food and be treated well here.

Unfortunately, reality is far from it :-( The staff (all of them even the manager) was unfriendly, they had no idea when we asked for the "special of the house" and simply had an attitude that serving guests is dreadful. I don't want to go into detail length, but when my Turkish friend said at the end that we didn't like the food but formost their attitude the manager himself simply had a "hmhmhm" for us.... I guess that says it all.

The food itself is nothing to talk about, as ever other non-vegetarian can make a better vegetarian menu then this restaurant.

Oh, before I forget, there is one good thing here; the pumpkin cake is delightful (but I guess it is not home made so the praise most likely goes to the bakery around the corner).

In any case, if you want good food and want to be treated nicely, choose the Parsifal, it is just opposite.

2  Thank thenitai
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We were actually looking for Parsifal and ended up finding this one first & stayed. The decor is just lovely & we did not notice any surliness from the staff! The menu was small but after having the same Turkish veggie meals it was such a welcome change. We had the lentil patties, potato pie & home made mulled wine. We overall found food in Istanbul pretty pricey & this was mid range but different in a good way. We were the only ones there when we arrived and by the time we left it was really busy and a mix of locals and tourists. Would return.

1  Thank Redscooby