“Nostalgic!”

Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Beyoglu
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I had dined here on my last trip to Istanbul almost 8 years ago, but forgotten the name. I was walking to Parsifal and saw this place just before Parsifal. Immediately, the memories came back, and I recognized the beautiful courtyard and garden, and the menu written on the blackboard etc. I skipped Parsifal (for now) and stepped in here for another wonderful mean in this carnivorous city.

While this restaurant is not a veg only place, it is predominantly so, and definitely caters to non carnivores. That itself is 3 stars off the block! The menu is not very extensive, but quite varied, including some very refreshing drinks and beverages. Alcohol like everywhere in Turkey is way overpriced. The cold yogurt soup was similar to boondi raita from India. The spicy lentil patties were similar to the bulgur stuffing in the cik kofte found all over Turkey. The green lasagna was a tad disappointing due to an overwhelming use of cream sauce and less flavoring. In a place like this that has a daily change menu, one needs to go a few times to really gauge the taste and quality.

Service is warm and polite. Definitely a go again (after Parsifal)!

2  Thank ZenHealer7

Reviewed 7 May 2014

On a failed attempt to eat at Parsafil, I ended up here as it is just a block away. This place is almost all vegetarian (there was one chicken dish on the menu) and had a lot of vegan options. The staff is able to knowledgeably point out what is vegan. They aren't overly friendly, but I was surprised to see the review below complain about the service. I thought it was quite fine. The meal was good, I had no complaints about it. In the end after I finally ate at Parsafil, I would say I prefer this place for quality of food though not variety.

2  Thank aps101
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Amazing interior design, lovely menu unfortunately staff is really grumpy. That can turn a beautiful cozy atmosphere into an uncomfortable place. In the end of our meals i was a little afraid to ask for count:(

1  Thank Ella S
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Turkish food is great, but not very veggie friendly and lacks a bit of spice that I am used to. Zencefil had a lovely menu, attentive but not overbearing service, and a cute little courtyard to sit in. In Taksim, it was good to get a bit of a quiet spot. I would go here all the time if I lived in Istanbul.

1  Thank Snark_Kent
Reviewed 26 February 2014

As a committed carnivore, I had to share our experience of eating out at Zencefil in Istanbul. The flavours of all our dishes (we were a party of five, only two of whom are vegetarians) were wonderful and we left the restaurant having consumed as much as we would in a non veggie venue. It was just magnificent. Well done. We will be back next time we visit Istanbul.

1  Thank Sandra D