“Absolutely stunning in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Leb-i Derya

Leb-i Derya
Ranked #574 of 13,399 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish, European
Good for: Romantic, View, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Beyoglu
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Absolutely stunning in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This evening was our last in Istanbul and we were not disappointed. We visited the restaurant in person the night before to request a seat in the huge glass windowed area. We wanted the incredible view of the city to be right by us. When we arrived we were seated right in the front with the beautiful view of the old city in front of us. It was dark and the view was stunning, showing in the distance the old town and the mosques in all their glory. (slightly out of view by a modern building, but nevertheless, we could see them for what they were).

The ambience of the restaurant was exactly what I always wish for in a restaurant. Very stylishly designed, with understated style and glamour. Dimmed lighting with gorgeous ambient candles on the tables. The attention to detail in this respect was stunning and we commend the interior designer. Why can't every restaurant be like this? it is so perfect for a romantic meal.

The food was extremely exquisite. My husband had the prawn starter with leek and white sauce and for second course I had the lamb and plum kebab whilst he had the Lamb and chicken kebab. Both were cooked to perfection sitting on the most delicious bed of flavour. To finsh we had a semolina pudding, but the like I have never had before - a total reinvention of flavour and style. The white wine was chilled and crisp and complimented the meal perfectly.

The service was absolutely first rate. The waiter was professional, efficient and discreet. I can honestly say that this is one of the best eating experiences I have ever had, (and I have travelled a lot).

I would eat there every week if I lived in Istanbul. It was totally wonderful and stunning. I cannot praise it enough. Thank you to all the staff at this restaurant for making our experience truly memorable.

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Malmo, Sweden
“Our best dinner during a week in Istanbul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Watching the sun setting over Istanbul on a hazy late spring evening was magic.
Great helicopter- like views of the Bosporus, of the mouth of the Golden Horn, of the myriad of ships on the glittering water, of the roof tops and of course of all the beautiful sights this city is so rich of. During our stay we checked several restaurants with a view, and this one was definitely the best.

View- wise but also food- wise. Three rather small but fantastic- tasty appetizers laid out on one plate, instead of a table overburden by 20 different dishes, it was a modern twist to the Turkish cuisine. For the main course I had a spit with succulent beef; colleagues who tried a salmon commended that dish too.

Wine- wise I simply can't recommend the Kayra Buzbag Rezerv 2011 enough. Two red grapes, öküzgözü and bogazkere "from the heartland of wine (in) Anatolia", the label says. I have to admit: totally unknown to me, but full on par with a medium Bordeaux.

For desserts once again three small dishes, with a well- balanced sweetness. We left overjoyed with happiness, and not overfilled in our stomachs.

Attentive wait staff, a little too high noise levels.

It was without doubt our best meal in Istanbul.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“So-so food, so-so service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Came in at 19:00 without reservation, was told there was a table free for 1 person, but only for 2 hours. I gladly accepted and proceeded with ordering food. The waitress seemed nice at first, and the food was quickly ordered. The starter was ok (shrimp), the main course was not very good (salmon). The salmon was undercooked and the taste was not very special. However, I noticed that all the dishes were really rushed to the table, like they were in a hurry. I was at my main dish at 19:30... After ordering dessert and finishing at about 19:55 the waitress approached the table and indicated that I should leave soon, as there were other guests coming in at "20:00". My question on why 2 hours suddenly became 1 was answered with "you came in at 18:30, and the guests come at 20:30". Upon paying the bill, and expressing my displeasement with the serving of single-guests, I asked to put the bill on the Richmond Istanbul room bill. Even though the bill said "Richmond" she indicated that this 'was a different establishment' and refused. Upon paying by credit-card the bill said nicely "Richmond Otel Istanbul", which clearly meant they were pretty much lying. Sad for such a restaurant: posh, insincere and not nice to hotel guests, cannot recommend (also not considering the price).

1 Thank Sander R
Bellingham, Washington
“great view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

this hotel top restaurant has a fantastic view, good food and nice service. great for a sunset dinner

• Visited April 2014
London
“Fantastic views, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We made a reservation in advance and got a table with great views. The cocktails were amazing as was all the food we tried. The restaurant had been recommended to us by several friends and I can only recommend it too.

Visited May 2014