“Would stay again”

Ranked #118 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Would stay again”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business, and was the first time at this hotel. In general I had a very pleasant time. The staff were all very friendly and the room was very nice, especially the comfy bed. The hotel is very arty, I have never stayed in a hotel like it and I've stayed in many. It has lots of low level lighting which was the cause of my only real negative. When you access the room for the first time, its not obvious how you place the card into the key slot in order to switch on the lights. As the room and corridor was really dark, you cannot see. I needed to switch the torch function on from my phone in order to get into the room. Apart from this I had a good time, the restaurant was excellent in the evening and a good selection of food for breakfast,

1 Thank SteveEastwood
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback about our hotel.

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in our property and city! It is our honor to know the quality of service was meeting your expectations.

Hope to have you back in the nearest future,
Warmest regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 November 2013

It's probably my own fault for staying at a W when I know that I hate them, but the SPG consultant who booked this for me said it was amazing, so I figured I'd try it. Unsurprisingly, didn't like it. There is no door on the bathroom, which was so inconvenient because i was sharing the room with a friend. And the location was kind of out-of-the-way. Very helpful concierge though.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Miami
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed at the W Istanbul and was impressed by the property and the staff. Everyone at the hotel , and I mean everyone, was incredibly accommodating and whatever I needed or asked for took on a sense of urgency. The hotel was chic/cool and in a convenient place to see both the ancient and the new parts of the city.

Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback about our hotel.

Hope to have you back in the nearest future,
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at W Istanbul for three nights to celebrate my birthday. At first we checked in very early but the staff arranged everything to find an available room for us - because we were vey tired. The staff is just amazing! They made my birthday very special, with decoration in my room, cake and ice cream - thank you so much! Everybody was absolutley friendly. We feld very welcomed. The breakfsast was outsandig and hearty with fresh orange juice, fruit salad and very delicous typical turkish pastries. The hotel is located quite well, not in the typical area for tourists, unfortunately around 1 km walking distance to the next metro station. However that is not a problem at all. The rooms are in a very modern and attractive design. I can definately recommend this hotel and I will come back as soon as possible :-) Thank you again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ca_133
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback about your recent stay in our hotel.

We are so glad and honored to hear that the service and the property were both meeting your expectations and making you feel at home and cared.

Look forward to having you back in the nearest future.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 November 2013

An underwhelming experience for what was supposed to be an awesome stay.

Pros:
- The W Istanbul is probably is the best hotel location of Istanbul. Walking distance to Besiktas and the tram that takes you to the old town (Mosques, etc).
- It's an awesome building.
- The rooms and decoration take the "W Sipirit" to its best.
- The in charge of cleaning my room (Cahide, assuming I got the spelling right), was fun and awesome... she had to clean while I was in the room working... and she was warm and good fun.

Cons:
- My room's (552) AC/Heating wasn't working well... so twice I came back to my room at even though the thermostat was at 18 Celsius, the room was actually at 30 (90F)...!!!
- I called. The first day they could not fix it and I just turned it off and slept with the window open to cool the room. Problem is that at night it automatically turns itself back on and you need to get up and turn it off.
- Second day, one of the ladies at reception (can't remember her name, but kudos to her) made her personal mission to have it fixed. She sent a guy twice who could not fix it. And the second guy did. Full thermostat replacement I think. So that night it worked.
- By the morning of the day after, when I was ready to check out, it was again blowing hot air though.
- This issue really sucked.
- Also, the breakfast is very very limited, especially on protein options. I only spent two nights, had I been there longer, I would have ditched it (even though it was included) and gone out.
- And the most disappointing of all... at check-out, I was most definitely expecting some form of compensation for the hassle... some refund, something... some detail... The guy checking me out did not even know. This is how you typically lose a customer, by not showing understanding for what was a bad experience. Anyways... A bummer.

The location itself makes a very strong case to go back. But everything else doesn't. Hard to know what I'd do next time.

Hope this helps. Sergio.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #552.
1 Thank Sergio1970s
Dear W Guest,

We are wholeheartedly sorry to see that the AC problem in your room took several steps to be solved. For your next stay, please let us make it up to you with our flawless Whatever/Whenever service, in order to keep you away from all those cons!

Look forward to welcoming you back for a much better stay.
Paris, France
Reviewed 15 November 2013

As many trendy, Bosphor-fronting hotels have opened over the last few years, W is loosing a bit of its charm - nice location, but not water front; usual modern design with a twist but deserved by awkward internal organization (basically two almost separate buildings); ridiculously small fitness center and above all no good restaurant nor a trendy bar usual for other Ws. You got it - it is still a nice place with an excellent staff and a very knowledgable concierge, but the competition has become much harder and there are many more attractive alternatives worth exploring. So, unless significantly refurbished and improved, probably my last stay there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for letting us know about your recent stay in our hotel.

We are based in a historical building therefore we are not much capable of modifying the area in terms of space. But all this magical ambience is always worth it!

For the renovation point you've mentioned, we will highly consider it for the following season.

Regards.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The W Istanbul is a beautiful hotel. It is located in an area that has lots of restaurants and cafes to enjoy. It is about a 15 minute walk to the tram that gets you to all the other parts of the city but there are lots of taxis around in case you don't want to walk.

The second floor restaurant is very nice and turns into a nice place to spend an evening in case you don't want to leave the hotel area. I'm a bit spoiled and live in a city where people have to go outside to smoke if they are drinking alcohol. The only thing I didn't like about the second floor at night is that there were people around me smoking. Just be prepared....

Istanbul is such an interesting city and the W adds to the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Dear W Guest,

We are so glad to hear our hotel and surrounding area were meeting your expectations!
Looking forward to welcoming you back into our hotel and our beautiful city.