“Good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #129 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Overall, the experience at the W Hotel was fine. It didn't blow me away.

Pro's:
-Service was excellent. 5 Stars. When we arrived into the port in Istanbul, it was chaos with several boats arriving at the same time, not to mention a complete downpour. We were waiting in the pouring rain for almost an hour before I decided to call the hotel for help. The concierge personally came in a taxi to pick up my wife and I (we were sopping wet.) He settled us into the lounge with some coffee while he checked us in. It make a terrible start to the day much better.
-bell staff and the front desk were great.
-The style of the hotel is typical of a W...sleek, dark etc.

So-So's:
-Parts of the hotel were under renovation, including the bar and dining area. We weren't told that when we checked in. The only place to eat is in the lobby. Food was not very good. The staff running the Sip area could have been better trained. They seemed confused by our simple requests for an ice bucket for the wine.
-Rooms: We had a standard room for our short stay. The design was clunky. There were too many light switches which made trying to find the one you wanted to work very trying. There was an odd smoked glass covering the wall mounted tv that made it a bit tough to watch.
-Location. It was fine for us, but not if you want to be in the heart of the touristy area like the Blue Mosque (which we did not.)

Cons:
-The cleaning staff did not do a great job. The rooms were not attended too properly. There was no turn down service. Soaps and shampoos were not replaced appropriately. At one point we arrived to find a dirty bathroom rag on our toilet seat left behind. The do not disturb sign was on the floor.
-The room design needed help. Aside from the light switches, the open plan sink area has a light that cannot be switched off unless you close the accordion doors, so if you want to wash your hands in the middle of the night, you will likely wake up your partner.
-The hair dryer needed updating and our ipod dock did not work.

Overall: good hotel, good location and amazing service. But it's all in the details and it might make it hard for the W to compete with the other high end hotels in the area.

Room Tip: upgrade to a larger room rather than the standard room. The layout of the standard room is not great...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christian H, General Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear W Guest,

Thank you for your detailed observations, sorry to see that your day started with poring rain, I am glad that you have enjoyed the personal and caring attention of the team. At W Istanbul we are always aim to offer the best facilities and the services to our wonderful guests such as you, unfortunately this sometimes do envolve refurbishing and restyling our outlets so that everytime our guests have something fabulous to look forward to. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences we have caused you.
I have also noted all your other comments and concerns, I will ensure that the concerned departments will be informed and where necessary re-training and corrective coaching will be given to the team.

Thank you again for your time and sharing your experiences with us, we all look very much forward to your return and hope that you will give us another chance to make it up to you on your next stay.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Generally had a very happy visit to W Istanbul with my girlfriend in Jul '14. Several notes:

- Facilities / Hotel: The rooms are really lovely. Well designed and spacious, especially for Istanbul. The "magnificent" rooms have cabanas which are a huge plus. Hallways are a little rock-and-roll and trippy - not a bad thing. Beds are great, showers are excellent. Note that this is a very modern hotel - if you're looking for old world charm, don't stay here.

- Location: We really liked the location as it's a little quiet and very convenient (at least by taxi), but you definitely feel "out of the action". The Akaretler neighborhood is not nearly as active as many of the others in the area, and the hotel's immediate neighbors aren't exciting. It's kind of halfway between Karakoy / Galata and Bebek so if you'll be spending your time between those areas and you're happy to hop in taxis, it's a good spot. If you're spending your time in the Old City, it's a little bit inconvenient.

- Service: Credit to the staff for being extremely solicitous and prompt, but service isn't up to par with other W hotels and needs some work. Breakfast was brought quickly but missing key elements; it required two people to deliver - which was odd, since it was breakfast for one - but neither could figure out how to open the door to the cabana (we eventually shower them). We never had difficulty getting a taxi, but the staff felt the need to ignore my girlfriend (who speaks very good Turkish) and speak directly to the taxi driver, often giving bad directions.

Also, as a side note; the staff clearly works hard but please consider distributing deodorant, or requiring frequent showers - every time the staff came to the room to deliver or fix something, we needed to air out the room. Not their fault but something for the hotel to note.

Generally very happy and would absolutely stay again.

Room Tip: Request a magnificent room rather than a suite.
Dear W Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for taking your time to write a review, we really appreciate all our wonderful guests comments and suggestions as it always helps us to improve our service and facilities. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the good hospitality you have received from the team, however please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings, rest assured they are noted and we will take the necessary steps immediately to prevent it from happening again.

Further to your note regarding the location of the hotel I would like to kindly mention that we probably have one of the best neighbourhoods in Istanbul, Hotel is located in in an exclusive road where you can easily choose one of the many escape routes to get around beating the traffic. These options often not available in many other parts of the town where other good hotels are located. Exclusive borough Nisantasi with its fashionable boutiques and chic restaurants only a stroll away and Taksim is only 10 minutes taxi ride.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back ones again in not too distant future, please do let me know direct if anything further we can do for you.

Kind regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were surprised by the size of the tight size of the "Marvellous" room and the fact that there was no swimming pool - my bad, I expected a W to have at least a plunge pool to cool off in the hot Turkish summer. Concierge was often absent and more than once were we told to "call back in an hour". Check-in staff were great - accorded the usual Starwood gold member upgrade and perks with a smile and helpfulness with miscellaneous stuff. Extensive renovations of various facilities also meant some inconvenience. Business centre needs a scanner, not just a printer. Not a bad hotel but a little less than expected of a W.

Room Tip: Check the size of each room - bathrooms are given disproportionate amount of space.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Koray K, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hi Rewi,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at W Istanbul and also for your feedback as all our guests comments are very important to us in allowing us to improve our services.

However, I am saddened to see that we were not able to meet all of your expectations during your stay. The building we are situated in dates back from 1875 as a first degree artifact building under governemnt protection. As this is the case, we can only work around what is given to us as there are alot of restrictions inside and outside of the building with what can be done in terms of swimming pool.

I'm thrilled that our welcome desk team impressed you. It's always nice to hear lovely comments about our team and I shall ensure that your kind words are passed on to everyone. I have noted down your feedback for the scanner in Wired Center.We will provide one very soon.

If you return to Istanbul, I would be delighted to welcome you back to W. Please contact me directly should you wish to do so as I'd like to personally oversee all aspects of your visit.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I'm a Starwood Platinum and have stayed in more than 8 W hotels across the world - W Istanbul was definitely not upto the service levels as compared to other Starwood properties.

1. Great Location - lot of cafes, historical monuments in an around

2. An old heritage building has been refurbished to W hotel. Exterior is very beautiful. Rooms were nice but very bold and modern in terms of decor. We stayed in fabulous suite which was really big with a separate sit out overlooking the beautiful street

3. Food - the hotel was undergoing renovation so all the restaurants were closed. None of the hotel staff bothered to let us know that there will be renovation and majority of the facilities will be closed. Breakfast was served in W studios 200 mts from the hotel. Breakfast was continental and basic

4. Hotel does not have a swimming pool given it's a 5 star

5. Staff was overall good - we had a mixed experience. Some of the staff members, special mention to the Concierge was really helpful and sweet, there were others who were rude.

We had one of the first and worst experiences in any good hotel across the world. One of the evening me and my wife were changing clothes and we heard a knock on the door. Even before we could react in a fraction of a second someone was inside our room using the master key. Luckily the room was so big we went into the washroom and hid ourselves.

6. Low value for money

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi,

I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments.

Thank you for acknowledging the attentiveness and friendliness of our Concierge.I am also very pleased to hear that our location amazed you.However I was of course concerned to learn of the areas which left you to feel disappointed such as breakfast,no swimming.As you have observed during your w experience, we are under renovation with our outlets and we will be back very soon with a fabolous new look with enhanced service.

I have noted your comments regarding the communication upon our talent entering your room not waiting. We are taking immediate steps to address the deficiencies you have noted and want to assure you that these types of occurrences are rare and do not reflect the level of service we aspire to.

It is certainly with great pleasure that we take every opportunity to exceed your expectations and we do hope to welcome you again for a very special occasion in the future.

Houston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The thing about W is it's very trendy. Pink lights in the hallways, bi red chairs in the bar. The people at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating. A young gentleman showed me to my room and showed me around the hotel.

I had the fabulous room and it was, well fabulous. Westins (W is parto f the Westin brand) have the best beds. The room service was decent, albeit a bit pricey.

This would be a fun place to go with a group of friends or a few members of your family. I must have been there on an off season (April) because the bars and restaurants were pretty dead. The bar was not open air and everyone was smoking, just like Europe which is pretty unappetizing to have a smoke filled enclosed restaurant.

The breakfast was decent and I enjoyed my stay overall. The 4 stars were due to the disappointment in the restaurant and bars. Everything else was great. Great location too!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelleknowstravel
Koray K, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi Michelle,

It was definitely brilliant to meet and have you with us at W Istanbul and indeed for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am redelighted to hear that you express your enjoyable experience once again at Trip Advisor. It is most gratifying to know that you were very enjoyed your fabolous room. Furthermore, I am content to hear your wonderful comments about our location.

I see that you less enjoyed our W Lounge and restaurant.However, good news is already here with fabolous grand renovation going on at W. Soon, we will be back with Istanbul's one of the best restaurant at our property.So be well prepared for the next time.

I hope to welcome you back to W ıstanbul very soon again and thank again for your most generous compliments.

Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We are regulars with Starwood and W hotels around the world so it was an easy pick to go with W Istanbul. The concierge was terrific and had our stay not had an unfortunate experience, this alone would have made it an above average hotel. We were given an upgrade to a Fabulous Suite, which by suite standards, was not exactly huge, but no matter. The room was nice, clean, and had everything we needed. The 2nd night of our stay was a disaster. At 1am we were awoken to hammering so loud it felt like it was in the room, and we sleep with earplugs. Calling the front desk, we were told that the bar below us (not part of W Hotel) was doing illegal construction work in the middle of the night. This constant hammering noise lasted until 4am! Upon checking out in the morning, the front desk told us they are usually informed by the bar owner when such construction will take place and they avoid using our room. It's disappointing to learn that this was not a one-off event and while we were too groggy to think of a solution at 1am, the hotel could have a plan B in place for such an occurrence - like move us to another room to continue a restful sleep.
Apart from this unfortunate incident, I wouldn't return to the hotel. The breakfast buffet was a total disappointment (W London and W Paris both have excellent breakfasts and set a standard one would expect across the brand). The gym is small and if you are over 1m80 you're likely to hit the ceiling when using a treadmill. Also no A/C in the gym so very unpleasant. Finally, the location is not near anything useful. Having gone on a cruise up the Bosphorus, I saw many stunning hotels on the water front that I would go to in a heartbeat next time. Radisson Blu, Four Seasons, etc. had gorgeous properties.

1 Thank Motel0
Hi,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently.

I appreciate your kind compliments of our amazing Concierge. I am delighted to know that you found them to be knowledgeable. We are truly fortunate to have a wonderful team at W Istanbul, and I will be certain to forward your kind comments to them.

I was very sorry to hear that you were less than pleased with your accommodation during your stay, however. I was also very disappointed to hear that there was an issue with external construction noise disturbed you late at night and also your breakfast, and I hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I would like to assure you that your feedback is most welcome and has been taken on board. We are currently under renovation with our breakfast salon along with Fit(gym) in place at W Istanbul, and I would like to ensure that we will be back in very short period with a fabolous new look.

I would be pleased to handle your reservation and your stay for a marvelous W Stay.

ATHENS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Trendy hotel in a nice Istanbul area, close to Bosporus and walking distance to Nisantasi shopping area. The decoration was modern with local oriental touch and the lighting was sentimental, although a bit dark for my taste. Sometimes I thought I was in a night club, rather than a hotel. Room was beautiful, not as big as in other W hotels, but offered very poor view to local area. Generally, the hotel was very charming and centrally located but lacked view and large common areas. There was not a pool, neither a spa.
Conceirge service was excellent!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
3 Thank MCEAAthens
Dear W Guest,

However, I am sincerely saddened to see that we were not able to meet all of your expectations during your stay.

As for all W Hotels, one of our motto’s is design and as such not one W is the same as another.
Although in the short distant, we are perhaps not able to change the overall design of the Hotel but I would like to inform you that we have much brighter rooms with large windows flooding the room with natural day light with a beautiful city view.

If you would be so kind to give us another chance should you plan to visit the City in the future I would gladly upgrade you to one of those for your next visit.