“Great for the price”

Ranked #118 of 1,140 Hotels in Istanbul
Columbus, Ohio
“Great for the price”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed during Ramadan for a business trip. I am always a bug fan of W hotels but this was just not the best for me. Rooms are great clean and cool but the location required a cab to everywhere also a lot of the cab drivers dont know where it is so it was a journey to het back every single time. I will stay at a more central location by taksim or Sisli next time as I learned on this trip.
If you know your way around its definitely the best hotel for the price.

• Stayed July 2014
Christian H, General Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear W Guest,

We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay at W Istanbul.
It is true that The W Istanbul is not located in the "old city" area, but in Besiktas and is a one minute walk to the Bosphorus. On your next visit, we recommend that you visit some of the attractions in the area such as the Dolmabahce Palace and Nisantasi (the Soho of Istanbul). As well as visiting the local neighborhoods of Ortakoy and Bebek, which are a 10 min drive from the W.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near possible time!

Warm Wishes,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had an overnight stay while passing through Istanbul. Very beautiful boutique hotel design and friendly service. The staff advised us on places to visit on such a short stay and gave us a good recommendation of an amazing Turkish restaurant. If you plan to stay at the W, I would recommend researching transport options such as the metro service to the old town for historical sites, the taxis to and from theses sites can get costly!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Christian H, General Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hello from your friends at W!

Thank you so much for your great comments, especially about Istanbul our location and talents. Please be assured that all guest reviews are enthusiastically shared with everyone at our W Istanbul team and are very much valued by all of us.
We would be very happy to welcome you back and hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I've stayed at a number of W's and Starwood properties and was excited to stay at W Istanbul. I had heard great reviews about the hotel and was looking forward to a different kind of W. I understand the restaurant was closed for renovations (we were emailed earlier about it), but something was off. Even sitting in Sip just felt like it was an after thought. The hotel didn't have the energy you come to expect with a W. Yes it had glitz to it but it was almost missing that touch that made you feel like you were in an above average hotel.

The room was a nice size and it was great to have a balcony which we were able to see some fireworks from one night. I would try the hotel again when the renovations are done and see if it changes the vibe of the place.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear W Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review, we appreciate all our wonderful guests constructive feedback.
I am sorry that you were not able to feel the true W vibe due to the closure of some of our outlets for remodeling. We are making our outlets more vibrant, more colourful and more fun than ever before.

We hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back again.

Warmest wishes,
Mumbai
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is my 6th W stay and I must rate it as one of the best. It's undergoing a partial refurb so not all the facilities were open. But I visited this hotel for its famous WWW service and the room. Both did not disappoint. The building is heritage and the designers have made best use of it. The rooms done in a neo-turkish interior are just fab. The location according to my cab driver was just right as it's a 15-20 min walk or a 3 - 5 Euro taxi ride from all shopping and entertainment areas. There are several bistros, cafes, kebab restaurants and supermarket (MIGROS) within a 50mt. radius.

If I was disappointed - then it had to be with the wifi quality. there is lo-band free wifi in the lobby but charged wifi in rooms (which is as good as lo band). The hotel was nice enough to reverse the charge when I complained about the quality of the same. Otherwise it is on my must stay again list.

Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt remarks. We are overjoyed to read that you had a great experience both in the city and at W.
As a kind reminder, SIP is a free wireless internet zone where all our guests can enjoy not only our wired services but also our famous cocktails!
Looking forward to welcoming youı soon,

Warmest wishes,
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at the W Istanbul for the 3rd time last weekend. We took two of our friends with us who we have raved about the hotel to. Unfortunately we were underwhelmed by the experience this time round due to a combination of bad service and ongoing construction works. I understand that construction has to happen but it would have been good to know this at time of booking so we could consider alternatives or at least prepare ourselves. There is, however, no excuse for poor service.

Positives:

+ The hotel is in a fantastic location with some first-class restaurants and bars in the vicinity
+ The cabana room is still a great place to relax inside and out (except for the fact there was constant hammering going on during this visit).
+ Airport transfer organised was extremely comfortable
+ One of the Whatever, Whenever staff went out of her way to help and even popped to the chemist for me without any prompting when they didn't have what I needed onsite.
+ At checkout the person who dealt with us was sympathetic when we told of our disappointing stay.

Negatives:

- WiFi is chargeable and very slow.
- Bad smell of cigarettes in the room, which made for an unpleasant sleep.
- The restaurant / bars were closed due to construction and had we known we wouldn't have booked.
- When staying in the Cabana Room, which we thought was private, I was most surprised to find a workmen / maintenance man wandering about on the bridge just outside our room. Could have been embarrassing since I was just out of the shower!
- Breakfast was served in the Extreme Wow Suite instead of in the restaurant, not a huge problem in itself but the breakfast was the worst I've ever had. Watery eggs, a poor selection of bread, cheese and fruit (considering we were in Turkey where the food is amazing).
- Waiters in the breakfast room were disinterested and quite rude when we asked what the options were.
- We were sent a faulty iron, which leaked water and which in turn (we found out later) shorted the electricity, meaning we had not lights etc just before checking out. When we phoned, we were told 'Oh it's probably something to do with the construction work' we then had to push for them to do something about it. When asked should we refrain from using the iron, the member of staff said 'I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, but it might be faulty', no hold on two minutes and we'll send a new iron in case you electrocute yourself with that one.
- We took a number of beers from the mini bar to drink in the cabana, in one we found what looked like a fingernail, on calling reception they came along and realised it was actually a piece of glass! The member of staff was very pleasant but I would have expected a more concerned reaction.

I love the beautiful street and building the hotel is located within but after our stay, and a stay at House Hotel Bosphorus afterwards (which was amazing!), I'm not sure I would return to the W for a fourth time.

Room Tip: Our favourite room is the Cabana Room as some of the lower room categories are very small and have l...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Christian H, General Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Valued W Guest,

Thank you so much for your detailed and constructive feedback, we really appreciate all our wonderful guests’ suggestions and comments as it helps us to improve our services and facilities. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the team and the location.

In order to keep the hotel beautiful and always immaculate, time to time we do need to make improvements, although we have informed everyone and advised all our guests via on line channels too it seems this message of restyling of our outlets did not reach you on time, please accept our apologies for that. I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back again.

Please do write to me direct so that I can personally handle your reservation and ensure that we look after you and spoil you the next time with the hope that we win you back again.

Warmest Wishes,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We enjoyed our studio suite at the W hotel. The neighborhood was a bit out of the way from everything, so taking taxis was an extra expense that was kind of a pain. It feels like a typical W with the club, lounge-y environment, although some kind of rooftop (bar or pool!) would have been a huge plus. Definitely the best bed we had throughout our entire Turkish experience! The complimentary SPG preferred breakfast buffet was fantastic as well.

Dear Valued SPG Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback.
As you have mentioned, the hotel is not located in Sultanahmet (the old city) area. The W Istanbul is in Besiktas and is a one minute walk to the Bosphorus. On your next visit, we recommend that you visit some of the attractions in the area such as the Dolmabahce Palace and Nisantasi (the Soho of Istanbul). As well as visiting the local neighborhoods of Ortakoy and Bebek, which are a 10 min drive from the W. The W Beds are certainly comfortable and it is amazing how many people buy the beds!
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near possible time.
Warm Wishes from your W family.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed at W Ist back in 2010 and booked it again in Apr 2014 (with my Mum) because I have always fancied it for its glamour and chic appeal. Yes, the hotel building & design is really unique and very alluring. It is a pleasant place.

Staff were kind and willing to go the extra mile. As the hotel was not full, they showed us different rooms to choose from (one of which, I believe, was of a superior type to the one we booked), a very nice gesture.

Service was really good, prompt and seamless, they attended to our every request.

The service ambassador, Turgai, was exceptional: very upbeat and very helpful, he spared no effort to make us feel at home, he always extended his help, insight and expertise on Istanbul places, tips and tour options. His help was priceless, my best regards to him.

Location is good: very close to some attractions, namely: Dolma Bahce Palace, Nisantasi and Ortakoy. A supermarket & a pharmacy are at the hotel's doorstep (essentials to me :D), so are many dining options.

The streets around the hotel are going uphill, so strolls may not be very convenient to old people or people with physical challenges. But the views are really nice, especially at night.

Area safety: nothing alarming, there is some movement even at late night. But I was victim of some eve-teasing one late evening in some of the surrounding little narrow streets so watch out; better cautious than sorry.

Now little "downside" things:

- Some staff spoke poor English, this was not the case last time. But, I think this is not very unorthodox in Turkey.
- Bathroom shelves were in need for some dusting when we checked in, I did not find it a big deal though.
- The complimentary morning coffee service: I compared this to W Barcelona's, found it very poor. I often found it in need for refill and maintenance.
- Avoid rooms adjacent to the club, could get very noisy at night.
- On weekends, the area's pubs house some hard parties, loud music and youngsters drinking beer on the street, I found this scenery very distorting to the overall Akaretler setting, which has always been renowned for being chic and classy.

Now, would I come back to W? yes, why not? But I do really prefer the hotel's (and the area's) image of the 2010 visit, that was almost flawless.

Room Tip: I saw rooms with private terrace to be a bit dim
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Christian H, General Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello,

I would like to thank you very much for taking your time to write a review, we really appreciate all our wonderful guests comments and suggestions as it always helps us to improve our service and facilities. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the good hospitality you have received from the team, however please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings, rest assured they are noted and we will take the necessary steps immediately to prevent it from happening again.

Please be informed that we are making our outlets more vibrant, more colourful and more fun than ever before by currently restyling it so I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back again.

Warm wishes,