W Istanbul
Hotel Bosfora(Istanbul)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,512 results
All reviewsspg platinumw insiderhip hotelfabulous roomlocal callsbesiktas areadolmabahce palacehotels around the worldroom upgradehotel is locatedpublic areasrain showerturkeylocation is greatold cityasian sidetaksim square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 June 2010

it was really the best hotel ever....everything was great..rooms, location, staff, specially the concierge it was sooooooo helpful.
i highly recommend it for everyone

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
WIstanbulInsider, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2010

Warm Greetings from your W Family,
WOW! You did not leave us any other words to say after your amazing comment. We really appreciate your wonderful feedback.
Looking forward to welcoming you back at your home away from home soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I did email the hotel that I was going to have an early arrival. Turns out, my plane arrived far earlier than planned and I got to the hotel around 7 am. Unfortunately, they did not have a room ready so they stored our luggage for us and we went out around the Sultahmet area for sightseeing. The room was ready when we returned in the late afternoon. I should mention that I used Backpackers Travel Agency (through the Turkey Travel Planner website) to book my airport transfer to/from the airport. It was far cheaper than other options and I didn't have to look forward to haggling/arguing with the taxi driver. The service was prompt and friendly, even though the drivers didn't speak much English.

The hotel located at the corner of 2 streets and was very modern and funky. As a SPG Platinum, I received an upgrade to a suite. The suite isn't what I'm used to in regards to separate sitting and sleeping areas, but it certainly seems larger than many of the rooms mentioned from other travellers. The room was in a rectangle shape with a small chair/table in the corner. There was a fairly good sized working desk with a DVD player hidden in one of the drawers. There was a double sink in the bathroom and the shower/toilet are in separate and enclosed stalls. I must say that shower stall felt spartan although it was surrounded by marble/granite with horizontal stripes. It kind of made me think that was how "institutional" showers might feel. The shower controls were "Japan-style" with separate knobs for temperature control. The toilet was a strange rectangle shaped unit with a "cleaner" (think Japan, again) sticking out. Unlike Japan, that thing stuck out all the time and a little too much. Let's say I was surprised a few times when I leaned back just a little. There was a small outdoor patio with 2 chairs and there was a skylight in the room that could be opened. The HVAC in the room is extremely difficult to operate. I would think I had it sorted but there wasn't any A/C to be felt. Even to this day, I'm not sure if I knew how to use it correctly or whether the A/C just wasn't up to snuff.

The TV was built into the wall that separate the bathroom. Problem is, there was quite a reflection/glare off the wall so it was really hard to see. In addition, there didn't seem to be any external speakers so I had to turn up the volume to maximum settings most of the time. There is a separate Bose soundwave system on the night table.The telephone was the Cisco touch-screen kind and I found it useful that I could get weather on that thing. For internet, you have to sign up online but use a function on the phone to get your special code to enter. First time I've seen that set-up. The light controls on the wall were pretty funky and had different lighting "moods". I should mention that the elevators use a touch system and I had to "learn" how to press it from my room floor. In terms of noise, it seems I had it lucky and heard nothing from neighbours or the hallway even though my room was closest to the elevators. One night, I did hear sound from the nightclub although my room was on the highest floor. Let's just say this was extremely annoying.

For taxis, it seemed taxis from the hotel were ok and used the meters. It should be around 15TL to get to the Blue Mosque area. However, other taxis in the city weren't as honest. We would usually take a taxi to Sultahmet in the morning but take the metro to Kabatas - the closest stop to the hotel. From Kabatas, it's a dog's breakfast with taxis. One time, some taxi tried to tell me there was construction and he'd need to take a circuitous route - all to the tune of 20TL. We got out of that taxi right away. It seems negotiating down to 5TL was generally accepted for the Kabatas-hotel run. You can walk to the hotel from Kabatas but the traffic pollution is horrendous. We did it one day and vowed never to do it again. From Taksim to the hotel, it should be about 7TL on the meter. Let's just say most taxi drivers don't speak English (not that I expect them to) so it'd be wise to learn numbers and have your address written down for them.

Around the hotel area, just behind the hotel on the right is Cafe Nero. We found it after the 2nd day and it was a god-send for good Italian coffee and paninis. There are some restos if you walk further and we tried an Italian place but it was awful. Behind the hotel on the left, you'll encounter a supermarket. Walk down the street where the supermarket is and you'll encounter a ton of local restos. We ate here most of the time. Prices were generally reasonable but quality varied a lot.

For service, it was generally superb. We did talk to most of the front staff people and they were very helpful. We didn't use the concierge. However, I did have one problem trying to get body wash. The body wash wasn't replenished after cleaning so we had to phone down on the last day to get a bottle. It took 3 calls and about 45 min. After the first 2 calls, someone finally got to my room. However, he messed up by getting shampoo first, then conditioner. I finally gave him the bottle that I wanted replaced and never heard from him again. That necessitated the 3rd call in which he finally returned and got it right.

Would I return? Probably as I don't want to stay in the Sultahmet area. If the metro actually extended as far as the hotel, it'd be a definite yes. However, generally speaking, the hotel is fine.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Braindrain

Well Hello There,
WOW! Thank you for taking time and giving us such a detailed feedback. We appreciate every single comment you made. Our commitment is to WOW our guests during their stay at W and we do take customer comments seriously to improve our service.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near possible time.
Warm Wishes from your W family.

Reviewed 8 June 2010

The W Istanbul is a very trendy and luxurious hotel. I tayed here with my family over Spring break, we had two connecting rooms "Wonderful Rooms". The only complain I have about the rooms are the bathrooms, the bathrooms are "open". There is no separate room to shower in, the shower is apart of the bathroom. And neither is there a real divider between the bathroom and the bedroom. Thats fine if your sharing a room with a boyfriend or girlfriend, or a friend, but not when your sharing it with a sibling. Because my sister and I had to take turns, one of us would go on the other side and hang out for a few min while the other was getting in the shower or changing The hotel is located about 10 min away from all the major attractions ( if there is no traffic ), but its kind of nice to be away from all the hustle and bustle of the Sultanahmet. Don't go to the hotel restaurant for breakfast, it is overpriced and not very good. Overall I highly recommend this hotel, great beds, and very trendy, just make sure you ask for a room without a "open" bathroom, unless you are fine with that.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sergiotheexplorer

Well Hello There,
It is a great pleasure to hear that you did enjoy your Spring break vacation at W Istanbul! We appreciate your kind feedback given on our in-room bathrooms in Wonderful type of rooms. As the room design, our bathrooms are located separetely with shower and wash basin.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back next year on June or September, which are the best months for Istanbul!

Reviewed 6 June 2010

First off, the rooms are loud. The walls are made of paper and you can hear every detail of your neighbor's life. In addition, if you're staying close to the elevators, you can hear and feel vibrations from the music playing in the lounge space at night. Between the two, my wife and I got little sleep during our stay. It didn't help that the shower and sink are in the room rather than in a separate bathroom. If someone needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, it's hard not to disturb the other. Likewise, the shower is loud (both the shower in your room as well as your neighbor's) and steams up the whole space. It's a flaw in the room design. Another flaw is that the cabanas that come with many of the rooms are not covered, which limits their usefulness for those who like a little shade.

Service was also spotty. The hotel sent an email days before my stay asking if there was anything they could do for me in advance of my arrival. My response was apparently ignored. When we arrived, we were told that we were getting a triple upgrade, but the room we ended up getting was exactly what we expected. Either we were originally going to get a worse room than we paid for or the front desk lied. Also, the concierge staff was a little like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One of the concierges was very friendly and genuinely helpful (I believe his name was Jed). The other concierge was a little on the surly side and made two horrible itinerary/restaurant suggestions to us.

At least the rooms were clean and relatively new. But that's not an excuse not to provide slippers.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PolarBear33
TiaGraham, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2010

Welcome,
We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback and thank you for choosing the W Istanbul. We apologize that your stay was not up to your expectation and we take our customer's comments very seriously. The management team is working on the sounds within the hotel, as the property is historical and was built in the 1870s. We apologize if you felt misguided by the welcome desk in regards to your room category and have shared this information with our team.

I am glad that you received great service from our concierge and will coach our team members to continually improve. We would really like the opportunity to have you come and stay with us again soon and hope you will give us a chance to WOW you.

The W Team

Reviewed 6 June 2010

My husband and I spent three nights at the W-Hotel Istanbul in late May 2010. We absolutely loved the location! The hotel is in the Akaretler neighborhood, which is a short walk down the hill from the Nisantasi shopping district or a short taxi ride to Beyoglu or Ortakoy. A lot of Istanbul hotels are located in the historic Sultanahmet district, but (in my opinion) it is super touristy and overcrowded (think Times Square in NY). If you prefer staying in an area where some locals live and dine (and someone isn't trying to sell you a carpet around every corner), this location is perfect for you!! Plus, the Akaretler row houses are beautiful when they are lit up in the evening.

The staff was friendly and super helpful and the beds are as amazingly comfortable as they are at every W hotel. We can't speak to the cost/value because we used Starwood rewards for our stay. The hotel bar is open 24 hours (crazy, huh?) and they have a fun cocktail menu - the Kisstanbul was delicious. The drink prices are high (~$15 USD/drink), but that seems to be the going rate for alcoholic drinks throughout Turkey. There's a great new wine bar (Corvus) around the corner from the hotel that serves great Turkish wines and mezes. Don't miss it.

Some advice: Due to the heavy traffic, you should definitely take the metro when you go to the Sultanahmet district. The metro stop (Kabatas) is short 10 minute walk from the hotel (you pass the Dolmabahce Sarayi on the way) and, then, you just take it to the the Sultanahmet (Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya) or Beyazit (Grand Bazaar) stop.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
WIstanbulInsider, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2010

Warmest Greetings from your W Family,
WOW! Thank you for your amazing words.. We are so gald to hear that you did enjoy all aspects of your stay - from the location to the W Kitchen; from our private limousine services to our concierge.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at your home away from home, on your second visit to Istanbul.