“Didn't live up to expectations”
Review of W Istanbul

W Istanbul
Ranked #113 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel for four nights and paid an average of about $300 per night, including all taxes and one hour of internet access per day. In many ways, the hotel didn't meet my expectations. First, my room was very small, not at all how the "typical" room appeared on the website. Next, as others have commented, the noise from the hallways was very audible in the room. The toilet and shower were separate, which is fine, but the shower was much smaller than the website implied and it reminded me of a "prefabricated" unit. The sink and vanity area were right out in the bedroom, which would not afford the right amount of privacy if more than one person occupied the room. The bed, while it would have been comfortable for most people, was way too soft for me, and when I inquired about getting a harder bed, I was told that all the beds were the same. It's OK to have a "signature bed," but there should be some variety to accommodate different guest preferences. Finally, I thought the service in the bar was very slow and the waiter mixed up the order. Given its "high-tech" marketing, I expected internet access to be free, and it was about $10 per hour in the room. I actually liked the location, which was near the water and within walking distance of Dolmabahce Palace. The street on which the hotel is located is a quiet, pleasant, renovated street with upscale shops and restaurants. Parallel to that street are two nearby streets with more affordable shops and restaurants, including all of the major international chains. The concierge was also very helpful. But overall, if I went to Istanbul again, I would stay somewhere else.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Middle_East_Explorer
TiaGraham, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2010

Well, Hello There...
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the W Istanbul Hotel and for giving us feedback on your stay. I am very glad to hear that you liked the location of the hotel and explored the different sites and areas around Akaretler. Our concierge is truly amazing and I am glad that they were helpful to you during your stay. I am sorry to hear that the W design was not to your liking. The W Hotel and Akaretler were built in 1875 as an annex to the Palace and the designers have transformed these beautiful buildings into the first W Hotel in Europe. I will share your feedback with the management of the hotel and please know that we are continuously working to improve. We would really like the opportunity to WOW you and hope you will come and stay with us again.
The W Istanbul Family

Reviewed 2 July 2010

I had been nervous of staying at a W Hotel in the past, as I thought that it may be a bit too trendy or hip, or have too much style over substance, for my more modest tastes. Happily, whilst it does undoubtedly have a degree of high-maintenance clutter, the W Hotel in Istanbul nevertheless offers a high quality and enjoyable accommodation experience.

The hotel is located in the Besiktas neighbourhood, close to the waterfront. It is clearly an up-and-coming area with several designer stores starting to open in the adjoining street. It is a little way from the heart of the centre, but taxis are readily available or it’s a 15-minute walk to Kabatas where the funicular provides access to Taksim Square or the tram heads to Sultanahmet. It was more convenient than I had feared.

The “wonderful” room was impressively styled in burgundy and dark wood with a pleasant selection of mood lighting effects including a usefully bright ‘work’ mode. The beds were lovely and there was a large desk, wall-mounted tv with English-language channels, safe, full range of Bliss toiletries in the snazzy bathroom and a well-stocked but pricey mini-bar and tempting “munchies” tray. There was a lot of superfluous items and some of the room elements were confusing to operate, but overall it was a very comfortable room. The only thing I missed was tea/coffee facilities and complimentary water would have been a nice touch given the room rates. Wireless internet was 10 lire per hour or 30 lire for 24 hours, or it was available for free in the lounge/lobby.

Breakfast was comprehensive and very tasty and a room service dinner was also very good. The hotel’s public areas were comfortable and surprisingly calm – I had feared having to walk through a discotheque all the time! I also have to say that the staff were all very pleasant, well-trained and extremely helpful and really made me feel a valued guest. So often, staff in these type of boutique establishments can be overly ‘cool’ or aloof, but not here.

Overall, then, the W Hotel is a luxurious establishment with dazzling design and style, yet also comfortable and welcoming – and therefore mostly justifies its expensive price tag.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
TiaGraham, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2010

Well, Hello There...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are absolutely thrilled that you had a great stay with us and especially liked the decor, breakfast and service. We are very proud of our team at the W Istanbul and work to ensure we provide the W service philosophy of Whatever/Whenever! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and I am sure you will WUV the W London opening this fall!

The W Istanbul

Reviewed 23 June 2010

We stayed in the W istanbul for one night and we were very dissapointed with the hotel. We were originally meant to stay for 3 nights but we changed this to the park hyatt istanbul and decided to only stay in the W for one night. The interior of the hotel is stylish but the rooms are not functional at all. We stayed in a spectacular room with a garden terrace. Having read other reviews on this hotel I have to agree with what other people say.

1. The walls are thin and you can hear people walking past, closing doors, tvs etc
2. We could here the toilet or drainage from other rooms.
3. We had a stained bed sheet but only noticed it in the morning!(old stains)
4. Everytime you have a shower a lot of water spills onto the floor.
5. The air conditioning is diffucult to use

I did mention these points to the manager who did seemed concerned and offered us another room. However I think the hotel is deeply flawed and considering hotels such as the four seasons, park hyatt are so close by I would strongly advise people to try these hotels. The only positives I can draw from the hotel is the service and staff were good and the bed is very comfortable. The W managment need to address these problems as many of the other reviewers have repeated them over and over again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
TiaGraham, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2010

Well, Hello There...
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback and I am extremely happy to hear that you thought our service was great. We pride ourselves on our "W Talent" at the hotel and do feel that we have the best people with us. The W Beds are certainly comfortable and it is amazing how many people buy the beds!
We deeply apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. The W Istanbul does not have general noise problems with our guest rooms. When we do get a customer complaint about a specific room, we are looking into the problem and finding a remedy. We also apologize about your linens as this is not our standard and not our level of service at all. I hope you give us another opportunity to WOW you, as the majority of our guests have incredible experiences when they stay with us.

Warm wishes,
The W Istanbul Team

Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel for four nights and were pleased with the hotel in general. The interior of the hotel and the bedrooms are lovely but I can appreciate that it wouldn't be to everyone's taste as it is in a very modern style. The check-in staff was a bit abrupt but the concierge Cem was very friendly and very welcoming and helpful! The restaurant was a total disappointment - Turkey has so much wonderful food and the restaurant serves some generic European food. Certainly not worth a visit in my opinion. The bar lacks atmosphere despite the many reviews that it gets. Also, service was AWFUL there; slow and unpleasant. Further issues during our stay included a stained bed sheet but that was quickly remedied by house keeping. The location of the hotel is very odd. It is far from the main sights and surrounded by shops. You will certainly need to take a lot of taxis if you decide to stay here. I would recommend this hotel but I don't really know if it presents value for money. Comparing this hotel to W Hotels in the US, I would say that the W Istanbul need to pay a lot more attention to details!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
WIstanbulInsider, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2010

Well Hello There,
We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay at W Istanbul. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience and we do also apologize that your W Kitchen experience was not up to your expectation. Please be sure that we take our customer's comments very seriously. I am glad that you received great service from our concierge and will coach our team members to continually improve. As you have mentioned, The W Istanbul is not located in the "old city" area, but in Besiktas and is a one minute walk to the Bosphorus. On your next visit, we recommend that you visit some of the attractions in the area such as the Dolmabahce Palace and Nisantasi (the Soho of Istanbul). As well as visiting the local neighborhoods of Ortakoy and Bebek, which are a 10 min drive from the W.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near possible time and giving us a second chance to WOW you!

Reviewed 20 June 2010

it was really the best hotel ever....everything was great..rooms, location, staff, specially the concierge it was sooooooo helpful.
i highly recommend it for everyone

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Warm Greetings from your W Family,
WOW! You did not leave us any other words to say after your amazing comment. We really appreciate your wonderful feedback.
Looking forward to welcoming you back at your home away from home soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I did email the hotel that I was going to have an early arrival. Turns out, my plane arrived far earlier than planned and I got to the hotel around 7 am. Unfortunately, they did not have a room ready so they stored our luggage for us and we went out around the Sultahmet area for sightseeing. The room was ready when we returned in the late afternoon. I should mention that I used Backpackers Travel Agency (through the Turkey Travel Planner website) to book my airport transfer to/from the airport. It was far cheaper than other options and I didn't have to look forward to haggling/arguing with the taxi driver. The service was prompt and friendly, even though the drivers didn't speak much English.

The hotel located at the corner of 2 streets and was very modern and funky. As a SPG Platinum, I received an upgrade to a suite. The suite isn't what I'm used to in regards to separate sitting and sleeping areas, but it certainly seems larger than many of the rooms mentioned from other travellers. The room was in a rectangle shape with a small chair/table in the corner. There was a fairly good sized working desk with a DVD player hidden in one of the drawers. There was a double sink in the bathroom and the shower/toilet are in separate and enclosed stalls. I must say that shower stall felt spartan although it was surrounded by marble/granite with horizontal stripes. It kind of made me think that was how "institutional" showers might feel. The shower controls were "Japan-style" with separate knobs for temperature control. The toilet was a strange rectangle shaped unit with a "cleaner" (think Japan, again) sticking out. Unlike Japan, that thing stuck out all the time and a little too much. Let's say I was surprised a few times when I leaned back just a little. There was a small outdoor patio with 2 chairs and there was a skylight in the room that could be opened. The HVAC in the room is extremely difficult to operate. I would think I had it sorted but there wasn't any A/C to be felt. Even to this day, I'm not sure if I knew how to use it correctly or whether the A/C just wasn't up to snuff.

The TV was built into the wall that separate the bathroom. Problem is, there was quite a reflection/glare off the wall so it was really hard to see. In addition, there didn't seem to be any external speakers so I had to turn up the volume to maximum settings most of the time. There is a separate Bose soundwave system on the night table.The telephone was the Cisco touch-screen kind and I found it useful that I could get weather on that thing. For internet, you have to sign up online but use a function on the phone to get your special code to enter. First time I've seen that set-up. The light controls on the wall were pretty funky and had different lighting "moods". I should mention that the elevators use a touch system and I had to "learn" how to press it from my room floor. In terms of noise, it seems I had it lucky and heard nothing from neighbours or the hallway even though my room was closest to the elevators. One night, I did hear sound from the nightclub although my room was on the highest floor. Let's just say this was extremely annoying.

For taxis, it seemed taxis from the hotel were ok and used the meters. It should be around 15TL to get to the Blue Mosque area. However, other taxis in the city weren't as honest. We would usually take a taxi to Sultahmet in the morning but take the metro to Kabatas - the closest stop to the hotel. From Kabatas, it's a dog's breakfast with taxis. One time, some taxi tried to tell me there was construction and he'd need to take a circuitous route - all to the tune of 20TL. We got out of that taxi right away. It seems negotiating down to 5TL was generally accepted for the Kabatas-hotel run. You can walk to the hotel from Kabatas but the traffic pollution is horrendous. We did it one day and vowed never to do it again. From Taksim to the hotel, it should be about 7TL on the meter. Let's just say most taxi drivers don't speak English (not that I expect them to) so it'd be wise to learn numbers and have your address written down for them.

Around the hotel area, just behind the hotel on the right is Cafe Nero. We found it after the 2nd day and it was a god-send for good Italian coffee and paninis. There are some restos if you walk further and we tried an Italian place but it was awful. Behind the hotel on the left, you'll encounter a supermarket. Walk down the street where the supermarket is and you'll encounter a ton of local restos. We ate here most of the time. Prices were generally reasonable but quality varied a lot.

For service, it was generally superb. We did talk to most of the front staff people and they were very helpful. We didn't use the concierge. However, I did have one problem trying to get body wash. The body wash wasn't replenished after cleaning so we had to phone down on the last day to get a bottle. It took 3 calls and about 45 min. After the first 2 calls, someone finally got to my room. However, he messed up by getting shampoo first, then conditioner. I finally gave him the bottle that I wanted replaced and never heard from him again. That necessitated the 3rd call in which he finally returned and got it right.

Would I return? Probably as I don't want to stay in the Sultahmet area. If the metro actually extended as far as the hotel, it'd be a definite yes. However, generally speaking, the hotel is fine.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Braindrain

Well Hello There,
WOW! Thank you for taking time and giving us such a detailed feedback. We appreciate every single comment you made. Our commitment is to WOW our guests during their stay at W and we do take customer comments seriously to improve our service.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near possible time.
Warm Wishes from your W family.

Reviewed 8 June 2010

The W Istanbul is a very trendy and luxurious hotel. I tayed here with my family over Spring break, we had two connecting rooms "Wonderful Rooms". The only complain I have about the rooms are the bathrooms, the bathrooms are "open". There is no separate room to shower in, the shower is apart of the bathroom. And neither is there a real divider between the bathroom and the bedroom. Thats fine if your sharing a room with a boyfriend or girlfriend, or a friend, but not when your sharing it with a sibling. Because my sister and I had to take turns, one of us would go on the other side and hang out for a few min while the other was getting in the shower or changing The hotel is located about 10 min away from all the major attractions ( if there is no traffic ), but its kind of nice to be away from all the hustle and bustle of the Sultanahmet. Don't go to the hotel restaurant for breakfast, it is overpriced and not very good. Overall I highly recommend this hotel, great beds, and very trendy, just make sure you ask for a room without a "open" bathroom, unless you are fine with that.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sergiotheexplorer

Well Hello There,
It is a great pleasure to hear that you did enjoy your Spring break vacation at W Istanbul! We appreciate your kind feedback given on our in-room bathrooms in Wonderful type of rooms. As the room design, our bathrooms are located separetely with shower and wash basin.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back next year on June or September, which are the best months for Istanbul!