“This was a great hotel back in 2008....not anymore!!!”
Review of W Istanbul

W Istanbul
Ranked #123 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I had stayed at W Istanbul in October 2008 and I have to say that everything was absolutely perfect at the time....Unfortunately this is not the case anymore - this hotel has deteriorated tremendously!!! This time my overall experience was a complete disappointment and I will never stay at this hotel again! But please let me tell you the whole story.
Upon my arrival at W Istanbul I was not greeted at the door and there was no one to take care of my luggage. As I was entering the hotel I saw a " W talent" who did not even greet me and finally after noticing thy I was struggling with
my lugage offered to help me I a quite reluctant manner. Where to they find these 'talents' is a mystery to me...I approached the receptio where I was welcomed and asked if I had stayed there before - I told them that I spent 3 nights there in 2008. To my greatest surprise they could not find me in the system...The receptionist gave me the key to the room and wishe me a pleasant stay. What a 'pleasant' stay this turned out to be. I certainly do note recommend it to anybody. Unless you like 'NOISE' and don't care about 'SLEEP'. I went to bed at around 11:00 pm to me awaken one hour later by a noise coming from the next door bathroom- somebody was doing some sort of construction work.. On top of that there was extremely loud music coming from the nightclub, which I was not warned about in advance...I tried to call Gues Services an dialled 0 but to my greatest disappointment nobody answered the phone....I rang them 5 or 6 times with no result...So I had to get dressed and went down to the receptio desk to inform them about the situation. The girl at the reception was kind enough and said she was going to send somebody to Investigate the 'construction' work. I also asked her about the loud music and she told me that it was coming from the nightclub. I went to my room and the noise from
The bathroom stopped for a while, unfirtuntely the music from the nightclub was getting louder and louder...So needless to say sleeping was not an option in this room. On top of that the construction work resumed at 2:45 am. Then I could not take it anymore and called reception to ask for a new room. They gave a a new room immeditely- this girl was really professional and willing to help. So I went to my new room and managed to finally fall asleep. On the next morning I called guest services to ask for a late checkout at 14:00. Was told that this was impossible, yet they let me check out at 13:00. So long story short-I left 400 EUR at this hotel and did not even managed to sleep. If somebody was willing to pay this price for a noise then this experience would have definitely been worth it. To and my story I went to the reception desk and saw the same guy who had checked me in on the day before. Naturally I informed him how noisy the room was and this W Talent said: "Oh I forgot to tell you about the party!" What an answer!!! This is totally unacceptable and inappropriate for a hotel chain as Starwood, unless they have decided to get rid of the W brand...
To summarize I could have stayed in any of re 5 star hotels in Istanbul and I made a very bad choice, which was based on my previous experience with W. Never again...I am not asking for compensatio although if Starwood was a company who cared slightly about customer satisfaction they would have offered it. Good luck W Istanbul - I hope you will not be able to trick your guests in the future And I should have read TripArvisor inadvance, as there were previous customer who had complains about this NOISE in the past, which is an integral part of W Istanbul's ambience.

• Stayed: December 2010
3  Thank Randomcustomer123

Reviewed 29 December 2010

Currently ranked at 95th position on TripAdvisor, W-Hotel Istanbul should be ranked as number 1 of all the hotels in Istanbul.

I have stayed in Grand Hyatt, Ceylan Intercontinental, Mövenpick , Four Seasons in Sultanahmet and several other hotels in Istanbul. W-hotel is absolutely the best in Istanbul. Even though it misses a pool. However the other features of the hotel make this it up 100 times.

W is hip, trendy and as well in a good location even though for a first timer to Istanbul it might appear to be in a rather remote location. This is however not true as the area around the hotel is very lively and trendy as well. And it’s easy and fast access to Sultanahmet area with the street car /tram.

LOCATION

Located close to the Dolmabahche Palace W-hotel does not have the benefit of the views the high rise hotels close to Taksim Square possess. But that does not really matter as a better Bosborus view is just some hundred meters away from the hotel.
From the airport you can take the Havas bus to Taksim (it’s possibly the fastest way to get into the City Centre = Taksim). From Taksim take the funicular down to Kabatas and walk for about 600 meters past the Dolmabahce Palace. W-hotel is on the first side street on your left – on the streets climbing up the hills. OR of course taxi is the easiest way to get you around if you do not know the city.

GETTING AROUND

Taxis can at times be stuck with the traffic. When you want to go the “more historic” area of Istanbul; the Sultanahmet district; walk along the Bosburus to Kabatas again. Take the tram to e.g. Grand Bazaar/Beyazit. Or to Sultanahmet for the Aya Sofia and the Blue Mosque. Or for Topkapi Palace: Günhane. Easy fast and scenic at the same time.

ROOMS:

WOW. And again WOW.

Take a Superb room with your private patio. It is an absolute must. Wifi does not work properly in the ground floor rooms. And even on the second floor rooms you might encounter some problems. This should be fixed by the hotel. And not having it free is another minus at the prices they charge for the rooms. Breakfast is as well not included as in the price of the room. Even though it should be at these prices. But still: W is the best in Istanbul.

RETURN VISIT

I liked the W-hotel so much that I reserved I reserved it already for my next trip to Istanbul in late March.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Timo R
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Trendy and modern this hotel is hip and fun. Super cool room designs and stylish decor. My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary here and we had a blast. Staff friendly and professional. Super clean and room was large. We had a balcony which added alot to the feeling of the place. Besiktas neighborhood is really nice and the street the hotel on is beautiful at night. Definitely a younger hip crowd here. The W lounge is awesomely designed but overpriced drinks didnt keep us there. Ipod dock in the room a huge plus. Very trendy and enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Impressing building, situated at a prestigious district. Due to city’s heavy traffic, you might wish to avoid taxi transportation and walk to Besiktas tram station & Taxim funicular, approximately 20 minutes walking distance from the hotel.
The first impression of the hotel is that you enter to a night club. The lobby is small and the lighting very poor. Guest rooms have also issues with the lighting, especially when some of the spot lights are out of order as there were in my room. The layout of the guest room is unusual and unpractical but I suppose design has to do with the Ws idea. The sink is next to the bed, without partition and opposite the sink there are 2 doors, for the shower and the wc. In any case, I believe the biggest issue in the guest rooms is the noise. I was assigned to a room with interconnected doors. Every night, in order to sleep, we had to wear earplugs, so that we did not have to listen to next door guest’s conversations, corridor’s and night club’s noise. One night at around 23:30 hrs, I had enough with the loud music, so I called the service line. The reply was “oh, yes we have a party – I will notify my manager accordingly”. As expected, nobody paid any attention to my complain, so we had another sleepless night. The thing is that the reason, we have chosen W Istanbul, was to avoid the crowed and noisy city center. However, it seems that W Istanbul is not suitable for tourists looking for a good night’s sleep and cozy public areas.
Finally, let me comment on the excellent performance of hotel’s housekeeping and Gem at the concierge department, who was most helpful.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2010

The W was absolutely perfect! It's trendy, gorgeous, in a great, trendy neighborhood with a lively night life near by. The staff is wonderful - courteous and professional - and very, very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Perfect hotel. Outstanding service and very nice staff. Good location. True: No tub, poor view, but still five stars!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2010

this boutique hotel can be intimidating, very dark and you need to get used to the architecture and style - feels more like a night club. But once you settle, you realise the amount of effort the staff puts into your getting a good experience. This highlight was definetly the service - it was higher than any 5 stay hotel i stayed at

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business