“I didn't come to Istanbul to spend the whole day in my hotel.”
Review of Grand Mark Hotel

Grand Mark Hotel
Ranked #844 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
“I didn't come to Istanbul to spend the whole day in my hotel.”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

First off, lots of the negative reviews are from previous years, so I'm guessing things have changed around here.

We found the staff to be courteous, friendly, and even spoke a little English.

The hotel is dated, but clean. The rooms are small, and the walls are thin. Air conditioning works great, but it was hard to sleep with it blowing in our tiny room. Easier to crack the Window and listen to the bustle of the city. Our bed wasn't all that comfy, the pillows were lumpy, the shower couldn't decide if it wanted to be hot or cold, there were marks all over the painted walls. This is one of those older hotels where your key activates the power to the room.

BUT.

It IS walking distance to all the things you wanted to see. It is in a part of the city where Turkish people actually live, and you'll get better prices down here than you will up the hill. If you have mobility issues and want to see the blue mosque, stay somewhere closer, but if you're young, strong, or traveling on a budget, this place will do you fine.

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank temrobertson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Wow! My experience here was so different from the other reviews I am reading. I was here in 2010 (it wouldn't go back that far so I had to mark August 2012) and I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a bit small but I didn't stay in my room all day, I enjoyed walking to many of the beautiful sights nearby. I found the price to be within reason. I know things can change over time but I know the front desk clerk is still there because I talked to him about staying there when I return in September of this year. I'll check back in after my stay, but I definitely think I will once again be pleased. And, I liked the breakfast and thought it was really nice that they reopened the kitchen to serve me breakfast because I was at the airport and didn't get there till late. Sorry to write so much but I really think the reviews I see aren't correct.

Room Tip: the rooms on the street side of the hotel can be a little loud but it wasn't really bad, I enjoy...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 1wholovestravel
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

The rooms are not cleaned and don't expect to see clean room at check in! It has a terrible staff who barely speak English. In case you need to find a place or something don't bother asking the staff. No WiFi or proper food can be found in the hotel; the price is higher than the hotels nearby which provide much better services!

2 Thank Rouein F

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Istanbul
Reviewed 10 January 2013

The location of the hotel downhill is bit tiring. The room is not cleaned daily, the breakfast is so poor., and the staff are mostly unfriendly. Safe box not working, shower leaking, dust everywhere, the housekeeping staff dont bother to clean the room.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

6 Thank Dima T
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Grand Mark Hotel is located in the heart of Sultanahmet tourist area, which has has long filled in the numerous hotels much-needed by tourists visiting Istanbul.

It is conveniently located within walking distance to Grand Bazaar, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Kumkapi’s seafood restaurants etc.

We've stayed here for 7 nights!

By the way, there is a laundry services, just across the narrow road, and a mini-kebab outlet 20 feet away from hotel main entrance.

Stay at this hotel, and you'll never be hungry again?

Room Tip: You'll have a more tranquil ambience if you choose rooms at the rear, e.g. x01, x02, x03 etc.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Azhar J
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

we stayed here for four days.quite basic but comfortable,service was very good,nice staff.street was not very nice and it was all uphill to main part of sultanahmet..Istanbul was great,everyone should visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Easy walking distance to the main square with tram connections and bazaar. The rooms are small, but clean. The shower leaked all over the floor. There were a small fridge and safe in the room. Some of the staff spoke English but they all tried. The breakfast was good but not great. We had to check out but were not scheduled to leave until later and the manager had no problem holding our luggage in the office. He was also helpful in arranging tours.

Room Tip: Some rooms open onto a small courtyard. These are quieter as there is no street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family