“Friendly honest and welcoming place to lay your head.”
Review of Tuncay Pension

Tuncay Pension
Ranked #20 of 32 Selcuk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We were touted at the bus depot by the owner so were a little wary but he was a genuine guy and did not set us wrong in any way. The rooms were clean and fresh as was breakfast, I would definately stay here again.

1  Thank flhrdad01
There are newer reviews for Tuncay Pension

Reviewed 3 October 2012

The courtyard of this pension - where everyone has breakfast - is well-decorated and has a great feel to it. There is also a balcony with a breathtaking view of Selcuk Castle. The triple room we occupied was air-conditioned and comfortable, though there was not a lot of floor space. The bathroom was clean, as were the beds. The owner was always willing to lend a hand with figuring out transportation or visiting hours for museums, and gave us tips for staying in pensions in Turkey. There were a variety of different rooms available, and breakfast was always delicious. For the three breakfasts we had, it was never exactly the same twice. Overall, a great stay in a great place, close to the museum, St. John's Basilica, and a shopping district with great restaurants!

1  Thank kazievitraveller
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I have never been on tripadvisor before, but after my 2 weeks in Turkey, I wanted to review a few things. Tuncay Pension and its scamming shuttle driver are the first of my reviews! Tuncay Pension is a good place to stay. It was clean, beautiful breakfast in a pretty courtyard, good value for the money, and a fantastic location. Could use some new towels and linens, but other than that it was a good place to stay, great location. But I agree with everything a previous reviewer (J S) said about that free shuttle to Ephesus! That driver was from a carpet shop next to Garanti Bank, balding guy, smoking, and never stopped talking! He wasted half my day trying to either sell me a carpet or hit on me and get me to come to his shop for a bbq that night on the terrace. Yeah, right! He and his ponytailed brother are snakes. I am disappointed that Cuneyt would be in cahoots with these two guys. I didn't even make it to St. John's Basilica in time to see it because I couldn't get away from that damn shop. Cuneyt, wake up! These guys are going to cost you a lot of customers!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Jolly Lolly C
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Being a foreigner living in Turkey, I've stayed in many pensions. Tuncay is one of the best. Friendly staff, clean, basic, one of the best breakfasts you'll find. The staff go out of their way to help with transportation and other arrangements. I needed a ticket to Fethiye and when I checked in, the hotel had already reserved my bus ticket for me. If you want a true Turkish experience in a clean, friendly hotel, you need to come here. It's my second time here and I'll be back for sure!

Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Basic accommodation but great central location with breakfast served in a pretty courtyard. May be a bit overpriced for what you get but laid back and a perfectly pleasant place to stay for a couple of nights if you're visiting Ephesus

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I spent 2 nights in a double for single use at the Tuncay Pansiyon in May. My spotlessly clean room was up 2 flights of steep stairs that had no bannister. (There is no elevator.) The plusses: My bathroom had been recently renovated. It had substantial counter space and the shower offered lots of hot water with wonderful water pressure. My only very small complaint about the bathroom was that there was no place for soap in the shower area. The minuses: I thought the room’s décor and furnishings long past their “best-used-by” dates. There was no bed stand. The mattress was a bit rutted and uncomfortable.

The pansiyon’s public areas included an upper floor terrace and a plant-filled courtyard inside the entrance and in which breakfasts were served. Both were welcoming and comfortable and featured a charming array of hand-crafted folk items.

I was impressed with the service provided by this small pansiyon. For example, I was greeted even before I parked (I had reserved ahead and sent an e-mail with the likely time of my arrival), and was quickly ushered to my room and offered tea. The staff were very welcoming – there was a young man who spoke English well and proved attentive in a non-intrusive and dignified way, and a young woman who prepared breakfast and took care of other things who clearly conveyed her warmth and responsivity even with only a few words of English.

The individually served breakfasts were outstanding! Breads and jams and cucumber and tomato and olives and perfectly cooked eggs and stunningly fresh fruit juice and lusciously ripe fresh fruits and one’s choice of tea or excellent filtered or unfiltered coffee. I was also impressed that the breakfasts were different on the two consecutive days I was there – different breads, different juices, different egg dishes…. SO good! They were the best breakfasts I had in more than 3 weeks in Turkey – and I had some good breakfasts!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This seemed like a nice place till the owner pulled a scheme with his local carpet salesman friend to take me to Epsesus for 30 lira. He said if I tried to go alone it would cost me 150 lira; I later found out he was lying about the price. He like many of the Turks I met will lie to your face and smile as long as they get your money. I wouldn't have minded paying the 30 lira had his friend not also lied when he told me it would take 20 minutes to walk back to town from Ephesus. It's more like an hour and I was caught walking back in the dark, rain, and hail next to some crazy Turkish guy talking to himself and following me. That sucked. Total disregard for a single woman traveler's safety. Needless to say I didn't actually sleep at the hostel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo