“Fantastic Place!”

Ranked #15 of 32 Selcuk B&B and Inns
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Fantastic Place!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've been travelling around Turkey for six weeks and budget pensions/hotels (I always require a single room) in the winter have been hit and miss. The Antik Hotel was a big hit! Lots of hot water with good pressure; lovely heat in the room; a big comfortable bed; a filling breakfast (more types of fruit than usual for these breakfasts - very good); spotless facilities; great meeting spaces to meet up with other travellers; the Otogar just across the street; and an amazing host. Gurcel (Mike) was the best. I've been reading the other reviews and completely believe how well he looked after the other guests because that was my experience too. We wanted to rent a car and he took us right to the place; we discovered we didn't have drivers' licenses on us; other problems crept up - before you knew it Gurcel had arranged a car, the gas, other travellers to share the price and a driver, all at an extremely affordable rate for budget-conscious travellers. Four solo travellers met each other and our great driver, Velli, and had an amazing day at the outskirt ruins. Then a friend I met asked, at the last minute, if I wanted to accompany her to Bergama so I asked Gurcel if it would be okay since it was an hour past check-out. No problem at all. I only had a few minutes to pack up my things and Gurcel was in the thick of it giving me a hand. His wife is lovely too with a great attitude. I loved this couple. I loved the Antik Hotel. A really pleasurable stay in Selcuk.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Barbrey

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We've stayed at the hotel for just one night but the service and help we received from Gurcel, the hotel owner and his family member is just unforgettable. Me and my friend Shine were planning to stay at the hotel for just a couple of hours as she was not feeling well but we ended up staying for the night since she was really feeling sick. Gurcel was so helpful and concern about my friends situation, he go beyond our expectation. He was so patient calling our travel agent to arrange our flight to Istanbul using his personal mobile. Time to time he's checking if my friend is okay, he helped me prepare something to eat for her. He just genuinely concern that really make us feel so at home and feels better despite of the situation. The next day when we checked out, though he was so busy he make sure that we won't be late with our flight by giving us instruction on how to go to the airport and even asked his son to walked with us to the bus station. That was just so kind of him and his family. The location is very accessible and just 5mins walk to the bus station. Shops and travel agents offices are just around the area. The rooms are nice and clean, free wifi and healthy breakfast at the balcony at a very reasonable rate. I definitely recommend this hotel for you to stay when you visit Efes. Thank you so much Gurcel and to your team. Wish you all the best! Tiza and Shine

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank tizarevelo28
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Our two night stay at Efes Antik Hotel was absolutely our best experience in Selcuk, even better than the sites around. The staff were extremely helpful, the best people we've ever met in travelling around the world. If you like to merge with the locals, this is definitely the place you should stay during your visit. The staff speak very good English and have a lot to tell you about if you like to chat and make friends. We were very relaxed at this hotel, really felt like home. They made our visit in Selcuk so enjoyable.

The location was great. A few minutes walk from the bus station, and St John's Basilica and Isabey Mosque were just next door. The room was comfortable and clean. Shower was very good. There was a balcony in our room, and also a roof top terrace where we enjoyed chatting with the staff and having breakfast. Unlike many other hotels we found in Turkey, the wifi coverage was very good in this hotel, good signal in room and very fast. Breakfast was very nice and healthy, especially if you like fruits.

We will recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely stay again!

The hotel would have to pay travel agencies and booking websites (we booked through Expedia) a lot if you come through them, and the hotel's own profit is actually very thin (I actually saw their utility bills). So if you want to stay there, I would suggest you book with the hotel directly :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JBai1985
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I just spent 4 days here. It was just across the road from everything you could need. The staff were really awesome. They definitely went over and above. I was traveling on my own and they helped me find the best local places to eat. I also lost my credit card and they were incredibly helpful ringing around and helping me search. Also double checked my tranfers for me and woke me up to get there in time.

The breakfast is excellent, the wifi is super quick, the outside terrace on the 3rd floor is great and the room was comfy, large and clean. There was also a kitchen to use which was really handy.

It really gave me a great local experience. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank lisaparnis
Lyon, France
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is a family hotel and is very quiet given it's on a busy road. The hotel rooms have modest furnishings and everything is extremely clean. The balcony is wonderful, and catches the morning sun while you breakfast outside. The breakfasts are really, very good and filling.

The manager Gursel is a lovely man and I found him very helpful and obliging given that I'd had some trouble travelling prior to my arrival, as were the young men servicing the desk at times.

My only regret is that I didn't stay for dinner at his pension on the evening he cooked fish. It looked and smelt absolutely fantastic, everyone appeared to be having a great time!

Thank you Gursel for your help and tips on places to visit.

Shelley

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Shelley271
Muncie, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We ended up staying an extra night because we were treated so well. Owner took us in his car to Efes for free. Great healthy breakfast on 4th floor over looking the storks nesting opposite Can recommend this hotel for its price, friendliness and location. Only place I will ever stay at in Selcuk.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alex C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 April 2013

The owner met us right off of the Ismir-Selcuk AtlasJet bus and hustled us into his hotel. After a bit of goodnatured haggling, we were set for the night. He even threw in a lift to the ruins. It took no more than 10 minutes to settle us in Selcuk and get us off to the ruins.
While I might not make this a long-term home base, it's perfect for a couple nights passing through and a caters to independent travelers in an area dominated by tour buses and cruise ships.
The place did get a little cold at night, but it was January... Such an excellent off-season value and a fine breakfast included.

Room Tip: Ask to see a few rooms--quality and size varies.