“Average”

Houston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Average”
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We were excited to see Ephesus , instead of booking from the cruise ship , I booked with Bulent
And his company. He met us at the Kusadasi port but didn't look at us when he greeted us, he was busy looking at his phone. Also when we went to the van which was very clean and air conditioned Bulent was always yawning and seemed out of it. He said he drank too much last night and it seemed he was suffering from a hangover. We went to the church of st. Mary, church of st. John , the library and also included was lunch. We paid 200 $ for the both of us-my husband and myself. It was a pretty setting, a place where ladies from the villages make silk /wool carpets. Also we mentioned to Bulent we wanted to try autenthic turkish cuisine, instead there was grilled chicken and french fries. We were highly disappointed. In addition, he said why don't you take a tour of how they make silk carpets. After our lunch we did and then they put us in a big showroom full of carpets. They were all trying to sell to us. Even one I liked was barely a 3'×5' and was cotton with cotton was like 800 $. I told Bulent we were not expecting to buy any carpets in this tour and we were taken by surprise he took us to that shop and was trying to force us to buy some carpets. We finally left the showroom and Bulent seemed disappointed that we didnt buy anything. All in all was not the best tour!! Needs more improvement for sure.

Visited September 2013
8 Thank Kiran915

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Wonderful tour guide - Mert!”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I researched private tours far in advance for our tour on Jan. 6th and I had booked Bulent booked as our guide. Unfortunately, he needed surgery (wish he had email me to give me advance notice), so instead we had Mert as our guide and we loved him- he is so laid back and extremely knowledgeable. My kids use the four square app and Mert is four square obsessed so they bonded over that - they "checked in" everywhere - even the public latrines in ancient Ephesus. Mert was very accommodating - my daughter has a problem with her knee and has difficulty walking down steps and inclines, so Mert suggested we reverse the normal journey in ancient Ephesus. This worked out great as the Great Theatre was completely empty upon arrival. We went through the Terrace Houses (which are a must see)..... The only thing that I found disappointing was the stop at a restaurant by a weaving school along with the rug sales push. The lunch was fair and I did not ever want to go back to a rug store in Turkey again - I did this in 1998. I did not put that on the list that I gave to Bulent - this is the only reason I gave the tour four stars instead of five. I so would have preferred having a nice lunch in a quaint authentic Turkish restaurant with nice ambiance. I do think my kids liked the silk worm, rug weaving demonstration and carpet sales presentation. It is just that the salesmen are so pushy - do not show any signs of buying interest or you will be sucked in and there for hours and miss seeing Turkey! After they do the presentation, just say thank you and you are not interested in buying a rug EVER and leave quickly. Mert said about 6 out of 10 people purchase rugs. My family is in the Interior Design world (they own an International design magazine) and even if the salesman says you should only purchase a carpet based on if you like it, they are wrong - the colors and the style do need to match! I went rug shopping in the US and had to take the carpets home to try out and most of the time, even with a design oriented family, my choices were off. It is hard to carry color in your head. YOU CANNOT RETURN THE CARPET TO TURKEY. I still need a 4 x6 carpet and it slipped out and then I was doomed. After this, we went to the small village of Sirince. I love this town - we should have had lunch here. This is a great place for picture taking! The market that I visited in another small town in 2007 was closed as it was a Sunday. If you can fit that in, I highly recommend that. It is totally not a touristy thing to do (I got to watch school children going and coming from school, real people shopping, etc.) whereas Sirince has lots of souvenir shops. All in all, a great day with Mert!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank ALM913
Campbell, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Bravo, Bulent!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

A group of six of us went on the private, Easy Ephesus tour in mid October. Throughout the process, from booking through the tour, Bulent was very patient and accommodating. Originally booked for two, it was no problem to increase our numbers, thereby reducing the total cost of the tour. As this was my first experience booking an outside tour, I was a little anxious regarding the process. Emails were answered in a very timely manner, and Bulent was waiting for us at the port as we disembarked in Kusadasi. He was able to get us to the most crowded sites before they became too crowded, and we were able to appreciate the ruins without overwhelmed by tourists. His knowledge of both the ancient and modern history of the area was much appreciated. We visited the Terrace Houses and the ruins around them, the Selcuk museum, and the site of the Temple of Artemis. Lunch at the carpet weaving school was delicious; however, I personally would have preferred a bit more time at the ruins instead of the time spent in the salesroom learning about the different carpets, their fabrics and design.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank f0xtr0t
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“ephesus”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

went on a sunset tour of these amazing ruins,the tour was arranged by the holiday rep from Thomas Cooke and it was perfect timing it was shaded and cool so we enjoyed it immensely our tour guide was very knowledgable and made it very interseting i would definately reccommend this tour and would do it again myself

Visited September 2012
1 Thank TinaD2
Exeter, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We booked a tour of Ephesus, House of Mary, Ruins of the Cathedral of St. John, Ephesus Museum, ruins orf the Temple of Artemis and Mosque for $240 for two. It was worth very penny. Bulent met us at the pier in Kusadasi and gave us a great tour. Bulent and his charming wife topped off the tour with coffee at his home. Bulent is highly recommended and a very good value for an entire day.

Visited August 2012