“Pretty setting”
Review of Hotel Nilya

Hotel Nilya
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 4 June 2008

On arrival, we were shown to our small room & spent one night in it before requesting another one. Hurray, it was much bigger & solved the problem of space. However, the call to prayer is very loud & we did not have earplugs - so be warned.

Nevertheless, the new room was great. Apart from the tiny bathroom, where you need to sit side saddle on the toilet (I am not a big person either). The hotel also provides a list of 'RULES', I don't know who they have staying there, but we saw mostly mid-aged folk.

Having said all the negative stuff first, now for the good points. It has a beautiful garden, delicious breakfast & lots of Turkish style about the place. I took photos of the garden, it was so pretty.

Choose a room downstairs to lessen the noise, request a bigger room if there are 2 of you. The staff are very helpful & will make calls for you & give good advice.

For evening meals, go to Bella Hotel around the corner. The food is tasty, cheap & its close by. And they are the nicest Turkish people.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OKAussie

Reviewed 31 May 2008

The location is wonderful, there is no disputing that. One feels a part of the quaint neighbourhood, being surrounded by neighbours who are residents and not tourists. At the same time, it is close enough to the touristy action if that is what you are looking for. The house and rooms are nice as well - comfortable and simply yet elegantly decorated. The rooms can be quite dark though, because the only windows (at least in our room) open out into the common corridoor, and if you leave that open you lose privacy.

We didn't have a very good experience in terms of service though. They knew we were arriving early, in fact had written back to us with instructions to call them if we couldn't find the place etc. However, when we arrived shortly before 7 am after a tiring overnight bus journey, the front gate was locked and repeated ringing of the bell and banging of the door produced no response. We stood in the rain and cold for almost 20 minutes before the gate was opened by another guest! (who had been understandably woken up by our repeated attempts to get in). Anyway, he let us in and we sat in the courtyard waiting for someone to show up. It was only shortly before 8 that a sleepy looking attendant walked out of her room, appearing totally surprised to see us. It wasn't really her fault, I guess she just hadn't been told by the management to expect an early arrival. Well, and then the room of course wasn't ready, and we were asked to come back after 10. I understand that there is no guarantee for early check-in, but for a place like this which was far from fully occupied, they could have taken the effort to prepare, knowing that we were going to arrive very early. What was even more upsetting was that not even once did we get an apology for the events of the morning. Another point to watch out for - the inflated prices for extras. Coffee, beer, etc are obscenely priced. The room rates are very good value for money, but I'd prefer it if they charged more for the room and reasonable prices for such basic "extras". I hate hotels which fleece one on such things.

6  Thank bongtraveler
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I have to warn those that really need a clean bathroom. This is not the place. The toilet smells like the sewer, the shower is not as clean as you'd want it. The rooms are very roomy but there's no TV and it might be hard to get one double bed and you and your significant other might get 3 twin beds. When I am away from home I need a very sanitized bathroom because I already feel so uncomfortable going from one hotel to the next and living out of a suitcase. I have to say I did not feel comfortable here (in the room). But the outside of the hotel (the sitting area) is very very romantic and as long as I sat outside of my room I was having tons of fun. We walked over to the grocery store and bought some wine and had a very romantic evening just sitting outside and watching the stars. This is not a hotel for those that stay up past 8pm though. I hardly saw anyone else at the hotel even though they were supposedly full at the time. I don't know where anyone was.
Sulcek, the town where the hotel is located, is wonderful. I actually really really enjoyed the place. They have a beach nearby, small quiant shops with really great characters to chitchat with. I really recommend the town but the hotel only if you can handle a "bare minimum" room.
Oh the free breakfast is great; they actually make you eggs anyway you like and the dog at the hotel is soooooo cute. you'll love her.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank FK97
Reviewed 4 May 2008

My husband and I just returned from a trip in Turkey. We stayed two nights at Hotel Nilya in Selcuk while we toured around the area. The hotel was absolutely delightful. The rooms surround a lovely flower filled courtyard where breakfast is served. One of the days we were there we needed to be picked up for our tour before the normal hours for breakfast. We assumed that we would have to go without breakfast. However, the staff insisted that we eat and they got up especially early to feed us a delicious breakfast. The town of Selcuk was also very pleasant and we ate at several of the little restaurants. We really enjoyed our meal in a restaurant called Rameli. Our room in the hotel was spotless and comfortable and we walked out of our second floor room and looked out over the countryside.

We would certainly recommend the Hotel Nilya to anyone visiting this area. We are so glad we stayed in this small town as opposed to Kusadasi.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 January 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Nilya in mid-June 2007. The hotel is really a bed-and-breakfast. It is a converted Turkish villa, a three-quarter rectangle with the fourth side closed only by a garden wall. The rooms on the two stories open onto the interior courtyard, which is a delightful garden. The room price includes breakfast, which is served in the garden in good weather. The breakfast is good. Our room was quite small but included a private bath, not luxurious by any means but serviceable enough. The air conditioning worked well. As with most non-luxury Turkish hotels, there was no place to store clothing other than one wardrobe. No dresser or bureau, so we had to live out our suitcases plus the closet-like wardrobe. The hotel thus has a lot of charm but is not at all luxurious. The hotel is very close to the ruins of the St. Jean church (the Basilica of St. John the Evangelist) and the Isa Bey mosque, a short stroll from the main part of Selcuk with its variety of restaurants and shops, and not far from the excellent regional archaeology museum.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2007

Loved this little hotel. I think it's a great idea to stay in Selcuk instead of touristy and resorty Kusadasi!! The hotel is managed personally by the owner so everything had her own little touch. Our room was on the second floor with a lovely view of the graden which had orange trees and charming little tables and chairs. The breakfast we had here was simply the best we had in Turkey. Traditinal turkish breakfast but with homemade bread, muffins and preserves. Absolutley loved it and would recommend in a second to anyone who wants to visit Ephesus!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 12 September 2007

After a couple of horrible nights in hotels in Canukkale and Pergamum, it was a real relief to find this pleasant hotel.

We were on the second floor almost at the end. Our room was a larger one with two beds, but it was a little dark with light from only one small window by the door, especially when we had to close the curtain for privacy from the outside walkway. One small complaint: I was allergic in this room, whereas I wasn't in any other hotel in Turkey, even the dumpy ones. This means that maybe the pillows or blankets weren't washed enough or maybe the dog spent time in there.

The view from outside our door was beautiful and the location is perfect, with the Basilica of St. John steps away. The decor in the dining room is amazing, and we had our best breakfast of the trip there. The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family