“Take the time to shop here”

Black Sheep Carpets
Ranked #11 of 23 Shopping in Selcuk
Dow
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Take the time to shop here”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Whatever you do when you are in Selçuk be sure and take the time to stop in at this shop. Don't be in a rush and pass them by. This is a special shop. The owners and people who work there are special. Take the time to get to know them. On a recent trip to Turkey I had the chance to get to know them personally and through the students I was traveling with. We were invited in for tea and so much more. Aydin and his crew shared so much of what Turkey is, what it means to be Kurdish and living in Turkey and even found the time for a lively game of football late one evening with the students. And of course they do sell carpets and have a very good selection. Take the time to learn about all the types they sell, take the time to sit down and barter for the piece that speaks to you. I found an excellent piece at their shop and will treasure it for years to come. I have been in many, many rug shops all over Turkey and found this shop to be one of my favorites for the personal service and friendly atmosphere at any time of the day or evening. Stop and find out for yourself.

2 Thank Daniel K

Coimbra, Portugal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Turkish hospitality at its best”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

It could be just another store, just another sellers trying to convices to buy, just another apple tea but it was more than that... Even knowing that we would not buy anything (sorry Aydin) he kindly invited us for a tea, and to talk a litle bit. They spent, at least, one hour whith us, no rush! Murselin played very nice music, show us beautiful, wonderful carpets, explaining the process, talking about their business. If you want to buy carpets, kilims and so choose this one. Oh, and need to try the magic mirror... lovely idea!

2 Thank aisleandro
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Relaxing and friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

After a morning of trekking ephesus i stumbled across this wonderful shop. The owner Aydin and his nephew Can helped me alot for my whole trip. After meeting them they gave me great advise and tips on my stay in selcuk. They gave me a tour of their shop and explained all the different styles of kilims and rugs! I felt so relaxed in the shop that i decided to buy not only 1 but 2 carpets while i was here. I spent alot of time at the shop drinking cay and listening to their wonderful stories. I have been to other parts of turkey before and have to say i have never felt so comfortable in any other shop in any other place as i did in Blacksheep Carpets in Selcuk. If you are travelling through Selcuk i would highly recommend to stop by and you will not be disappointed! <3

1 Thank Audd25
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sincere”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Such a wonderful place to inhale the authentic turkısh culture. Friendly and sincere Murselin abi takes his time to answer all questions and thus satisfy you in every subject from carpeting to turkısh, kurdish living style.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Cem A
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Incredible Hospitality and Laid-back Shopping Experience”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We spent one of our nicest afternoons in Turkey at this carpet shop in Selcuk. Galip and Murselin took their time with us, and learning about the history of carpet-making and exploring their stock was better than a museum visit. The kilims, in particular, were a feast for the senses. We drank tea and talked, and Murselin even took down a beautiful string instrument from the wall and serenaded us with a traditional wedding song. I ended up buying two carpets--one for my parents and one for myself. Like most good carpet salesmen, Black Sheep claim not to bargain--and it's true that the prices are not ridiculously inflated. But bargaining is possible and advisable within reason. The prices are on par with certain shops in Istanbul's Grand Bazaar, but the shopping experience is much more humane. We were having such a nice time that we lingered after the sale, and Gallip invited us to stay for a lovely supper in the back of the shop, where he shared a dish of baked okra, fresh bread, and tomato salad. He even ran out to buy us a little baklava and tahini ice cream, which we ate out front as the town passed by and exchanged evening greetings. It was wonderful to exchange stories and learn about their adventures in Turkey and beyond. Soon we had to leave, because we were due for an overnight bus to Istanbul. As a final gesture of remarkable hospitality, Gallip offered us a ride to the bus depot. The carpets are very nice, but are much nicer for the experience they commemorate!

Visited July 2013