“Very nice place to stay in Selcuk” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Urkmez Hotel

Urkmez Hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Selcuk
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very nice place to stay in Selcuk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Urkmez Hotel is just across the street to the train station, it has perfect location if you come to Selcuk by the train. The service people in the hotel were so friendly that we felt like at home. The hotel owner helped us even for planning our visit. We had reserved a car before arriving, but when we talked to the hotel owner, he suggested a few options to us. It turned out to be much better than driving by ourselves. The free breakfast was delicious, and the night view from the top floor to the St. John was awesome. We has a very pleasant stay in Selcuk, thank you, everyone in Urkmez Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hong g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

There is so much more to Selcuk than just the incredible Ephesus: the fort, the food, the mosque, trip to Sirence, and Jimmy, Juju, Alira and the staff of the Urkmez. A great little find in the middle of town, a short walk to the bus station and the train, and the fort, and steps away from great restaurants. There isn't a lift, but the boys will carry your bags, and the rooms are smallish but we had a balcony with an amazing view of the fort - but the best thing by far is the Urkmez team, they are so sweet, kind and helpful and then there's the Canberra connection! Thanks Jimmy and JuJu I'm already planning my next trip to Turkey.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor (403 I think) its a few stairs but the view from the balcony is worth...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Aussie_Rema
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We planned to stay two nights in Selcuk and ended up staying five. We enjoyed our stay at the Urkmez Hotel for all five nights. From the moment we walked in the door we were treated like family arriving for a reunion. The owner and his staff are so friendly and helpful and will try as hard as they can to make your stay memorable. As other reviews have said, the rooms are indeed small, the bathrooms even smaller, but they are very clean and the price is right. There's much to see and do in the Seluck region and didn't spend much time in them anyway. We had two rooms, one for our two children and one for mom and dad. The location is perfect, right in the center of downtown with so many restaurants and shops in surrounding streets. Selcuk had much more to offer than I had anticipated and each night there was a Ramadan market and entertainment outside the hotel. We enjoyed the sounds of the events late into the night. The owner helped us organize some day trips and a car rental. He tries so hard to help when he can. He's a bit of a superman. The morning we left he gave us a ride to the pick up location for the Onur Air shuttle (free and very convenient if you fly Onur Air from Izmir) and he even help load our bags on the van when it arrived. The breakfast is served up top on a patio with great views; the food is tasty but of course after day five it became a bit of the same, which was expected. He runs another small hotel in town (Ephesus Suites, I think) , a bit away from the center, but in a lovely neighborhood and It looks great as well, but more up market. BTW if you need a haircut/shave, go to the place right below the hotel where I got the best of both for a mere 30 Lira.

In short, great value and service and I highly recommend.

Room Tip: A few rooms have balconies, which are small but nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I came to Selçuk after an awesome stay in Cappadocia. Didn't really expect anything to match up to Goreme. But Selçuk main square is beautiful. I stayed at Urkmez Hotel and was warmly welcomed by Jimmy and Ozi (Oguzhan Ozan). The best thing about the hotel is that it's 1 min walk from the train station, 2-3 mins from the bus station and sits right in the middle of the most amazing local street that comes to life in evenings. It has a beautiful terrace where they serve breakfast and best place to sit and watch the sunset over the castle. You can almost get a birds eye view of the town. I would recommend this hotel and would hope to come back some day soon again. Thanks Jimmy and Ozi for making my stay most memorable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank khush i
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This quaint hotel is only two blocks walk from the tram station out of Izmir. Jimi, the owner, went out of his way to make my stay comfortable, connected me to a local tour guide and helped me mail packages home through the Turkish Post Office. He quickly responded when there was a problem with the air conditioner in my room.

My twin room was clean- but I spent most of my time relaxing on the balcony overlooking the street cafes below. The hum of tourists dining, locals singing and music from one cafe brought a restful sense after a busy touring day. At times, I went down to join the liveliness; otherwise, I read a book, emailed family back home or just took in the sights and sounds of a quaint Turkish town.

One important fact for some travelers, is there is no elevator. My room was three flights up a narrow winding staircase-- but not narrow enough to trigger my claustrophobia. The staff carried my luggage up and down, thank goodness!

The Bascilia of St John is just a few blocks away. It was a pleasant walk through a nice neighborhood of eateries and shops. The hotel's rooftop terrace provided seating overlooking the Fortress... what a great place to begin the day with the breakfast that is provided.

I have seen some remarks about small bathrooms for this hotel. I found my bathroom adequate for my needs. I have no complaints about this facility or Jimi. A wonderful experience that I hope to repeat on my next trip to Selcuk.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Deanna R
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Hi
We were at Urkmez property for a day. Great Place, absolutely friendly owners. Immediately on arrival they offered to arrange the day trips to Ephesus and other attractions near selcuk.
Selcuk its self is a very beautiful place and this property is located near bus depot, central location. Had nice time. Would definitely visit again.
Vinit Ketkar

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cleveland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is both close to the station and the entry to the ruins of St John's Basillica and to Selcuk Castle. It is also in amongst the centre of the town. Outside the door there are lots of cafes and restaurants, the remains of the aqueduct and the nearby local markets which give the town such a lovely atmosphere. There was a wide selection at breakfast on the top floor overlooking the Castle. No lift but only a few floors. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends