“We were well pleased with our stay”
Review of Hotel Bella

Hotel Bella
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This hotel was well described in previous reviews so we knew what to expect. The rooftop terrace and hospitable hosts totally made up for the smallish room. We really enjoyed the breakfasts and the interesting view of the castle and ruins from St John's Basilica ruins. Selcuk is a nice town to walk around in the early evening. I've had better ice cream, but if that's the worst I can say, than that is a good place!

Reviewed 9 November 2012

Booked based on reviews on Tripadvisor. Responded quickly to all inquiries. We arrived by bus from Bodrum and easily walked to hotel. Greeted with a friendly smile. Was given all the information we needed to see everything we wanted to during our short stay. They offer a free shuttle to Ephesus. Gave us good dining recommendations. Dining at hotel also very good. Breakfast was good and plentiful. Rooms small but adequate. Nicely decorated. There is a tile and rug shop attached-brought home a beautiful plate. All staff very friendly. Loved it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed at Hotel Bella for two nights while visiting the ruins around Ephesus, and had a great time. The entire staff is friendly, and the two co-owners appear to be there almost all the time. Breakfast on the roof is a great experience, and the ruins of the Church of St. John (the Evangelist) are across the street. If you need help finding anything, just ask at the desk and they can help you with minibuses, trains, etc. The shower was also amazing (although the rest of the bathroom in our room was very cramped). Finally, there is a free shuttle to the ruins if you're keen to poke around on your own and not take a tour. We took the shuttle out and easily walked the 3 km back to the hotel, and really enjoyed it.

The only gripe I have with the room we stayed in is that there were essentially no flat surfaces or drawers to facilitate unpacking or organization (except in the bedside tables). A chest of drawers or some drawers in the bottom of the armoire would have been good. Also, the recommendation of going to Sirince for lunch was a bit of a bust - great Domus (minbus) ride for 3 Lira; if you go, just ride the bus there and back, as the town is a total tourist trap.

Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 3 November 2012

So I goofed. I booked Bella's sister property Hotel Nilya but got the arrival date wrong. After visiting Ephesus, we drove into Selcuk in search of the latter. We were struggling until we found Hotel Bella and figured they'd be able to give us directions. We learned that we arrived a day late. I was feeling distressed about the situation, but one of the owners, Erdal, said that, while there were no vacancies that night at Nilya, he could accommodate us at Bella with no charge. This was an unexpected kindness. After checking in, we enjoyed tea with the other partner, Nazmi, on their small rooftop restaurant. Nazmi invited us to browse his shop of rugs and tiles, and other miscellaneous craft items. The quality was very high, and the prices were very reasonable. As we had already exhausted our budget in Istanbul, we didn't purchase anything. However, Nazmi has craftspeople who will create tile based on pictures or drawings you send him--something we're considering. The room was lovely and comfortable, with many local craft items and tiled pictures (all of which festooned the hallways). The bathroom was a bit crammed but clean and modern. Because of being located in an ancient district, there was a city notice in the bathroom about not flushing toilet paper but using the waste container. The free wi-fi was great on the roof but the signal sometimes broke up in the room, which didn't bother us. No TV, which also was fine for us. Dinner was great and so was breakfast, which they served on prepared plates. This was much more formal than some of the other properties where we stayed, but the Hotel Bella team was also at the top of their form professionally. We really do appreciate the generosity of the management in providing us with the room and a great experience.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the street, and St. John's Basilica. Not much noise, and a nice view.
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Hotel Bella is located within walking distance from both the train station and bus station which was very useful as we took the train from Pammukale the night before and it was just 5 min away. The next day we took a 5min stroll to the bus station to purchase our bus tickets to Aydin/Marmaris.

My boyfriend loves the decor of the rooms. I must admit the rooms are very beautifully done up. Only gripe I have about the hotel is the size of the toilet which is pretty small.

They provide a generous breakfast which starts off with a plate of mixed fruit platter. They serve bread and whip up an amazing dish of scrambled eggs for each individual.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Piao L
Reviewed 31 October 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our four-night stay at Hotel Bella. Erdal cordially greeted us and gave us a very helpful overview of the surrounding sites. We took advantage of the drop-off and pick-up service to Ephesus and enjoyed the tour to Priene/Miletus/Didyma that he arranged for us. Our room was small, but beautifully furnished with a tiny balcony overlooking the fortress. Each day we returned to a new towel animal creation--very charming. We enjoyed dinner one night on the terrace, as well as the morning breakfasts. The staff are all friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We loved room 11--with the balcony.
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I think it's a good choice for a couple nights seeing Ephesus and other local sites. The plusses are: Great location, and helpful owners. It's only a block or two from where the Atlasjet bus lets you off (note: at press time Atlasjet offered a free bus to Selcuk following flights from Istanbul to Izmir -- the whole thing cost me only $36, I still can't believe it -- and the Atlasjet flight was very comfortable with great service -- makes me realize how far downhill the flying experience in the U.S. has gone -- but I digress). The owners are very good about giving you advice for other parts of your trip, offering a free shuttle and guidebook for you to take to Ephesus, and offering you other trips at what seemed a pretty reasonable fee. Also, the dolmus to nearby towns is only about 3 blocks from the hotel, and the hotel sits only steps from the ruins of St. John's Basilica, which I highly recommend. Note the owners do run a tile and carpet shop out of the hotel but were very good about not pressuring people about it. What were the downsides? Room smelled slightly of sewage, was very cramped (I'm a small person and have been in NYC apartments - this was tight), and the sheets must have a pretty low fiber count. In fact, I found the sheets sufficiently uncomfortable that on night two, I slept in my clothes. Now, I could have paid more to have a larger double, so my complaint is limited, but my advice is that you probably want to pay more for a larger room with a balcony. Perhaps it's worth trying their other hotel, I think it's called Nyla or something like that. I had shopped around a little, and it looked like there were some decent places for about 10 euro a night less. But the location is really great here. If you do go somewhere else, make sure they will provide free van service to Ephesus.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selcuk
Urkmez Hotel
#5 of 33 in Selcuk
Kirkinca Hotel
Kirkinca Hotel
#1 of 4 in Sirince

Been to Hotel Bella? Share your experiences!