“Beautiful hotel!”

Hotel Bella
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 3 July 2014

What a charming hotel!

Though small, the room was full of character and offered a lovely view. Dinner was somewhat lacking but the rest of the hotel and hardworking staff more than made up for it. We also fell in love exploring the shop. While other stores were selling imitations the boutique attached to the hotel had authentic items. It was like visiting a museum! In addition, the owner was knowledgeable and informative. I would recommend this hotel in the future!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We visited Turkey back in May and I wrote most of my reviews in regards to Turkey at the end of May, beginning of June when we arrived home. I however held off writing the review on Hotel Bella in the hope an issue could be rectified and after numerous emails back and forth it was not.

My review is not so much for the accommodation side of Hotel Bella. Yes we stayed there – for four nights – and I will say that the stay was reasonably comfortable but the breakfasts were very lacking. The staff here are lovely and very hard working. My review however is more to do with purchases in the Hotel’s gallery/shop.

Upon arrival you are ‘encouraged’ to shop in the hotel’s gift shop. This encouragement continues though out your stay. The items in the shop are expensive, but they are of a very high quality, in fact much better than what you would find in a typical souvenir / gift shop. on our last evening we decided to have a look at the shop and showed interest in purchasing a very expensive and very beautiful, large – 55cm in diameter with 5cm concave - hand painted ceramic wall plate by a well known Turkish ceramist/artist. We expressed concern about how the plate would travel back to Australia and were reluctant to spend such a considerable amount on the plate should it be broken during transit. Erdal assured us the plate would be carefully and expertly wrapped and boxed for the trip. He assured us Hotel Bella sent such items all over the world without any problem. He explained that the plate would be wrapped in layers of bubble wrap, padded and packed into a large hard box specially designed and made for the plates and would be wrapped again in bubble wrap. Satisfied we purchased the plate and paid 700TL ($370Aud). We requested the paperwork for the plate and was told it would be put with the plate. We were to collect the packed plate the next morning upon our departure.

The next morning we collected the plate from Nazmi and found it was not boxed, we asked for it to be boxed, Nazmi went away, put the plate in the box and returned. We questioned why the box itself was not wrapped in bubble wrap and were told it would be ok. We trusted Nazmi at his word, paid for the plate and our accommodation and left, flying out of Izmir to Istanbul and on to Singapore. At Singapore we collected the boxed plate and heard it tinkle. Upon opening it at the claims office it was discovered the plate had been wrapped in one piece of bubble-wrap only - 90cm x 60cm – not even large enough to wrap around the plate once – and that the box with a 4.5cm top-lip had not been padded thus allowing the plate to move in the box. The plate was smashed to pieces. We were devastated to say the least. To make matters worse, the airline has refused to pay compensation because of the way the item was poorly packed. They photographed the item, box and wrapping and this cannot be disputed. Our travel insurance is also refusing to pay the claim because of 2reasons – 1 the item was not securely packed and 2 there was no documentation for the plate. We have had a number of emails back and forth with Hotel Bella requesting documentation (none has been forthcoming) and advising them that the plate smashed due to their poor packaging. Hotel Bella is refusing to take any responsibility for the poor packaging. To add insult to injury, they then sent photos of more plates to us with a request we purchase another one, at a greater amount than what we brought the first plate for.

I would recommend anyone who purchases an item from Hotel Bella to be present when the item is being packaged, to insist on it being packaged securely and safely, and not pay or leave unless they have an itemised receipt and full documentation for the item. I have to say, this incident has left us with a very poor view of Hotel Bella and has soured our memories of our time at their hotel. We would not stay there again. And in anticipation of a reply to this review from Hotel Bella in saying that we should have carried the plate/box into the planes Cabin, I would like to say first that the box (with plate) weighed 8kilos and was 60cmx60cms in size and thus considered too large to be allowed in cabin. We argued with the desk attendant that the item was a plate but it was not allowed in cabin. And as I have said prior above, we trusted that Nazmi had securely packaged the plate as assured by Erdal.

I would also like to add that Hotel Bella has been slow in replying to emails and has not even replied to our last email and thus I am now putting this review on.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank kezzaloveslife
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our first stop in Turkey after a long flight through Istanbul. However the owner was very hospitable and helpful. After check-in you are invited to go to the rooftop terrace for tea and an info session. And what an amazing view of Selcuk it was. When he found out that we would be traveling to a different city the next day, he immediately showed us the location of the bus stop, which is just a 5 min walk and called up the bus company to reserve seats for us. The room was clean but rather cramped, which was fine since we were only staying there overnight and we didn't have much luggage. Dinner was tasty, particularly for it being our first Turkish meal. My friend thought that of all the restaurants we ate at in Turkey during our two weeks in 6 cities, they still had the best and most uniquely flavored lentil soup. Breakfast on the other hand was less impressive. Avoid getting eggs unless it's boiled. I got scrambled and my friend got an omelet, and they came out horribly done. They were both drenched in oil - the scrambled eggs looked like they just fried it and then chopped it up into tiny pieces; the omelet looked more like a fried crepe.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at Hotel Bella for one night, nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the food was excellent. The bedrooms were small but the charm of the place and the people more than compensated. As,we were on a tight schedule they took care of everything from the shuttle to Ephesus arranging a great guide and even booking the bus tickets for us. If your looking for a relaxed inviting place with an authentic feel and good food then this could be for you.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Nazmi the owner provides great advice on activities and day trips around Selcuk (even though he is a bit pushy about his souvenir shop). Several rooms have a view over Saint Johns basilica and the old fortress. Beautiful roof terrace, perfect for watching stork nests and the town rooftops.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I just had one night to spend in Selcuk between Bodrum and Pamukkale and I was hoping to make the most of my brief time there to visit Ephesus. The Hotel Bella was the perfect place for that! I arrived around noon and after settling into my small but well-decorated room, I was invited upstairs to the rooftop restaurant and given a terrific orientation to the town and a free guide book to Ephesus. They were taking a few other guests over to the site at 2:30pm so I joined in with them. We were dropped off at one entrance and after wandering through the entire site, were picked up 3 hours later on the other side at the exit. It couldn't have been any easier and I felt like it was the perfect way to spend a day in Selcuk. Back at the hotel, I loved the views from the rooftop restaurant, especially the incredible white storks nests on the nearby telephone poles. They were so much fun to watch! I was definitely invited into the store downstairs more than once while I was there but I didn't feel any pressure to buy anything and I didn't. Overall, I thought this hotel offered a very good value and was an incredibly convenient way to see Ephesus.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I chose the Hotel Bella because the owner wrote back right away and was quite helpful in answering inquiry for our one night stay while visiting Ephesus. Trip Advisor reviews had been a bit cautionary about pressure sales tactics. Our experience was reflective of the owner's response: he did invite us to view his extensive collection of tiles, jewelry, carpets, etc. but was not at all insistent.

What he did do, was to serve as an attentive host in taking us to Ephesus and picking us up afterward, right on time. He then drove us past the Cave of seven sleepers and Artemis temple site before returning to the Bella.

Our rooms, while small, were beautifully and tastefully decorated, and served our purposes well. Because the Bella is up hill from the heart of Selcuk (directly facing the St. John Basilica) it is quiet. The rooftop lounge was a pleasant place to spend some time between excursions. Food was fine, although not as fresh and tasty as we have found elsewhere in Turkey.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family