“expectations are completely exceeded”

Boomerang Guesthouse Ephesus
Ranked #3 of 32 Selcuk B&B and Inns
“expectations are completely exceeded”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

if you are backpacking or even vacationing around Europe do not give this place a miss, it has an unbelievably friendly and warming nature, the staff is by far the best I have come across in any hostel in any country, my friends and I could not book a flight as we were not Turkish citizens so the OWNER! booked our flighs on his credit card and allowed us to pay him back it was unbelievable! he helped us book out travels and cost price and sat with us do atleast 2 hours getting us good deals on accommodation and travel at absolutely no gain for him i can't express how amazing the staff are here, one of the only places I have felt settled in my 3 months of traveling and I am only here for 2 days!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank puppalouds

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I honestly can't say enough great things about this hostel - after two months of backpacking it was the place we felt at home. 3 of us arrived at 630 in the morning off the overnight bus and only had to walk 200m to the hostel. We shared a room with a double bed and a single and shared bathroom, very clean with air con, towels and really good free wifi. The garden restaurant next door is also beautiful - the food very cheap, good quality (even Asian food) and a little 3 month old puppy running around! However it was really the service that made this hostel stand apart. The owner and his family could not have been more friendly and accommodating, you really felt like you were being treated like family here. On our last evening there, the owner sat with us for around 2 hours and helped us plan the best way to see turkey for the rest of our time here, researching flights and accommodation with us the whole way. When we booked a flight and the website wouldn't accept an Australian credit card, the owner paid with his so we could pay him in cash - it was gestures like this that made is feel so looked after here. Honestly an all round fantastic experience, wouldn't stay anywhere else in Selcuk!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank quishay
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I've stayed in this guesthouse twice with different groups of people and they were all happy with the room quality and service. The owner showed genuine hospitality and keeps the place up to high standards. I was surprised it was called Guesthouse. I especially love the garden and the peaceful atmosphere.
I will definitely go back there and I can't think of a better location to visit The St.John church on foot either early in the morning or late in the evening.
Ah, real butter is served at breakfast instead of cheap margarine!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the ground floor don't get wifi, which wasn't a big issue, but I hope i...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Naomi D
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Myself and 2 friends stayed here and we had a fabulous stay. Our room wasn't available for us when we arrived so we got upgraded to a nicer room with balcony and en suite. The Aussies who run the hostel are very kind and helpful. The breakfast each morning in the courtyard is fresh and very traditional. The bottomless cups of coffee were also a major plus in the morning. Would go back and stay in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lilsweetpea88
Antalya, Antalya, Turkey
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This is my second time in this guesthouse and i love it , i think thats why it`s call the Boomerang , you keep coming back , the guesthouse has been upgrade ,very comfortable , quiet , clean and very friendly owner and his family ,they on they way to help you out for any information you need , the owner Abdullah speak very good english , they also have lovely garden next door wher they serve breakfast , luanch and dinner and it`s really nice place to chill out , i would definitely recommend this place to every one going to Selcuk Ephesus ,

Room Tip: Family room its realy nice and double room on the north side with beautiful balcony is very attracti...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Yasemin Y
East London UK
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Boomerang from 10/8/2013 to 17/8/2013. This was my 4th visit and my wife's first. You can see her review, she is "juliedippybird".
We were booked double room with shared bathroom but the shared bathrooms are now not shared so that was a nice surprise. The whole place was very clean and welcoming, the beds very comfy. The hot water is very hot and available 24 hours. The air conditioning is included in the price! Amazing. The Turkish Breakfast was always delicious and the meals we took in the Garden Restaurant were just fabulous. This guesthouse just gets better each year but the prices stay amazingly cheap. When we left we had to catch a plane at Izmir at 5am. Abdullah, and his brother helped us and we saved nearly half the cost of the taxi fare we had been quoted. We were there a week and met many other guests who were as delighted as we were. We are already planning another visit.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are small but amazing value.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike1942EastLondonUK
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I feel conflicted about writing a review for this place. It has a lot of great features, but there were some negative things that stood out.

The location of the hostel is excellent: it's basically across the street from the bus station and right near the main road that runs to Ephesus.

I stayed in the dorm, which is located in the basement. It's refreshingly cool in the summer, but I could see it being very chilly in the winter. The dorm lacks ventilation, so it felt quite damp all the time and the showers never really dried out. A fan and a dehumidifier would be a wise purchase. The beds are extremely squeaky: the slightest movement causes noise. There are two bathrooms in the dorm. They weren't serviced as often as they should have been: they ran out of toilet paper and needed to be cleaned the second night I was there.

The building itself is very nice. The staff mentioned it had all been renovated recently. The attached restaurant/garden is very relaxing and a great place to spend a lazy afternoon. The restaurant was expensive, but not exceedingly so (tourist prices). We ate there twice, once for dinner and once for lunch. I found my dinner a bit disappointing, especially for the price (it was too salty and the flavours didn't work that well together), but my partner liked her dish. Our lunch was tasty and well-priced. The complimentary breakfast was simple and tasty.

Sometimes the staff seemed a bit disorganized and harried. There was never any one at reception and you'd often see guests standing around awkwardly, looking for a staff member. When we checked in, we weren't really given any information about the property and some of the staff seemed exhausted and worn-out. While being shown the dorm and checking-in, a guest asked a question about their stay and the staff member said he wasn't the one who handled check-ins, so he wasn't sure... but he was the one checking them in?

That said, the staff here are very helpful and obviously care about the guesthouse. There were many nice touches during the stay: being offered tea at check-in, getting a free plate of fruit after dinner, being lent a guidebook for Ephesus... The owner and his wife were helping out while we were staying and he's very genuine and friendly. I really enjoyed speaking with him and he actually served us our dinner in the restaurant.

I think that we stayed during a transition period for the guesthouse (renovations recently completed, still fine-tuning the restaurant, some staff away on vacation), which is why there were some hiccups with the staffing. I feel like I'm nit-picking a bit, but it's because the property has so much potential, so small things stand out more.

Overall, I enjoyed staying here and would recommend it if you're in Selcuk.

Room Tip: Keep in mind the dorm's location in the basement (cool in summer, cold in winter). Bathroom ligh...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple