“BEST Hostel EVER”

Atilla's Getaway
Chicago, IL
“BEST Hostel EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

I have now traveled 20+ countries in Eastern and Western Europe in the past few years and stayed in hostels for every night of my stay. Atilla's Getaway is FAR and away the best. How this is written up as a hotel as opposed to a hostel is beyond me. Not only does it have a fantastic location for backpackers, it was very clean, VERY friendly, relaxing and a place to absolutely absorb the Turkish culture, while being surrounded by fellow travelers from all over the world. Every night they provide a home cooked SO SO DELICIOUS Turkish meal with all of the fellow guests staying at the hostel, but after this get together of making friends and exchanging travel stories, everyone hangs out drinking my personal favorite beer on Earth, Efes. This beer is absolutely unbelievable and Atilla has it on tap to enjoy the night. You will never feel more at home than at Atilla's Getaway being so far away from your actual home. They take care of you, there are sitting areas, a pool, a bar, pool table, hammocks, a ping pong table, and pillows to relax on throughout the property. The food is amazing and breakfast is also included. I HIGHLY recommend Atilla's Getaway, especially if arriving from Greece via ferry, give them more than 24 hours warning and they will pick you up at the port. Even if you arrive at the Kusadasi port, its very easy to get to Selcuk via "Dolmus" (mini bus) and Atilla's will pick you up from the "Dolmus Station" (bus station in Selcuk) Visiting Ephesus is a must, the water park Adaland is fantastic too, and as far as traveling on, i HIGHLY recommend going to Pamulkkale for an afternoon and if you enjoy the outdoors/hiking, then Cappadocia is a MUST! Stay at Atilla's, you will not regret it, and your stay will be incredibly memorable.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

Talk about a diamond in the rough!! My friend and I happened on Atilla's based on a Lonely Planet recommendation and are we glad we did, this was probably the best place we stayed on our 12-day trip to Turkey. We were greeted by Rosie (the receptionist during our stay) and immediately felt like we were being welcomed into someone's home. A traditional Turkish dinner is included in the room rate, promptly served at 7:30 every night, with all the guests eating at the picnic tables in the common area. We met some incredibly interesting people from all over the world. After dinner one night, Rosie rounded up about 20 of us for a billiard game.

We got a room with a shared bath and while the rooms are far from a 5-star hotel (we weren't expecting that anyway at the price level), they were clean and exactly what we needed. A bar, swimming pool, pool table, free wifi and same-day laundry service all rounded out the amenities.

If you are the backpacker type and are looking for a "home away from home", I highly recommend staying here!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Mex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2009

We called to ask if they had service because it was January and we were told that there was no problem.
Location is good, outside of Selçuk. It is quiet and looks like during the summer must become a party place.
As for winter, I'm afraid they can't give a good service during the winter.
Our room was fine, not small, 3 small beds were there (which eventually became one, since it was so cold, we had to put them together), the heating kind of tried to work, but never got to that point to be honest, so we froze at nights and had to sleep with our down jackets put on (I understand the lack of blankets and covers, but then, they could have said no service these months).
Our first morning, the man (which was not Atilla, ok? I think he was in Australia at the moment, we only saw a picture of him, he looks nice by the way) had called a taxi so it would pick us up to take us to Virgin Mary's house, we woke up, went downstairs ready to have breakfast: nothing... we waited some minutes, and then decided to knock on the door. He said they forgot we were there "sorry"... we got our breakfast and left (30 minutes late) with the guy of the taxi.
We got warm water the first night, the second night it was close to cold, the third night I refused to take a shower anymore, it was COLD (mi cousin refused to take a shower since the night before but even though he got a flu). We addressed the problem but were said it was not possible (I guess that makes us liars, then).
Finally when the time came for us to pay, we were charged more than the rate posted on the website, the reason: the "inside" tips we were supposed to be given (yes, like staying to see the tiny market for a whole day instead of going to the Greek town nearby)
We never knew the name of the man that was taking care of the place while Atilla was gone, he said it was ok if we called him Atilla.. O_o
If I go again, I would prefer to meet Atilla. I guess if I put that I would recommend the place is because the place looks like fun in spring and summer.
What I liked best was the food, the rest I disliked. Sorry.
(So please don't consider it for winter... sometimes one can only make trips during that season...)

• Stayed January 2008
2 Thank blauerMond
plaisir
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

I recommend strongly this place, very nice close to Ephesus. Free pick up to bus station. Great room/restaurant/bar, swimming pool cleaned every day. Very good quality price. The staff is very friendly and happy to help you. I

• Stayed August 2009
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

I've been to what seems like a gazillion hostels, Club Med villages, low end guesthouses, top end hotels, and everything in between -- even if you're the type that hasn't liked hostel-style places in the past, you've gotta try this place. I challenge you to find better value for the money.

What surprised me most is that Attila's performs just as presented in their advertising. More than that, after a few days there I really felt like they would be missing me after I left(!). Two weeks after I departed they sent me an email telling me they had received a letter for me -- and sent it promptly at their own expense to my residence in the USA. All with a smile.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

Best hostel of our month long backpacking trip! Friendlist service. Relaxing atmosphere. Amazing pool and lounge area. Each night everyone who wants to eats outside together a homecooked Turkish meal. Honestly it's paradise! After dinner everyone hangs out, drinks, plays cards and pool. So much fun! Atilla is the man. Rosie (the receptionist when we stayed there) is an absolute sweetheart. The rooms are great too. My boyfriend and I stayed in a private double bed room. It was one of the cleanest rooms of our trip. The bathroom/shower was really nice too. Don't worry that it seems like it's in the middle of nowhere. They go way out of there way to get you to and from where you want to go. Aside from seeing the Ephesus, if you have some extra time in Selcuk go to Adaland waterpark. It was one of the best afternoons of our trip!

1 Thank backpacker20
Muenster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

Atilla's Getaway is a great destination when you are around Selçuk. Even if it is not directly located in Selçuk-town, there is a frequent - free! - shuttle service provided by Atilla's, that is very practical. Even when you are not coming back from the city at the time where there is a shuttle, they'll try their best to come and pick you up.
The atmosphere is very welcoming and friendly; the staff is so helpful and caring!
And.... the food is great!!! Especially the home-cooked diner!!
Rooms are nice and comfortable too.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple