“Unexpected surprise.”
Review of Atilla's Getaway

Atilla's Getaway
Reviewed 20 May 2010

I was very apprehensive about this hotel once I realized that it was just out of town.

We travelled by bus to Selcuk and just as it states, you find the sign that says Atilla's and actually the day we arrived he was sitting there. We were quickly shuttled to the hotel and discovered a little paradise that you would never even know is there.

We were shown to our room, given blankets and towels. The room was basic but clean. After getting settled, we went back into town with the shuttle. At this time we were asked if we would be joining the group for dinner that night. It's an additional charge but worth it. We decided we would come back for dinner. We wondered around Selcuk for a little while. Went back to the shuttle pick up point and just had to ask Daniel at the tour agency office to call Atilla for us. Within a few minutes our ride was there.

Dinner was great. You sit down with other guests and get to hear their travel adventures. I can't say enough about the opportunity that Atilla'soffers you to socialize with other travellers. I have never stayed anywhere like this. There are common sitting areas, the pool table and every night there was a fire to sit around, enjoy and have a few drinks. The overall atmosphere is so comfortable that you want to spend your evenings there.

Breakfast is wonderful. You have your choice of several different things. Which is a nice change from the usual breakfasts served (egg, olives, bread, cucumber).

Anytime we wanted to go into town or when we decided to go to Ephesus we were dropped off by the shuttle. It was so convenient. The staff was very helpful and on a rainy day gave us suggestions of other places to visit.

The other people staying at Atilla's when I was there varied from families, to groups in their 20's that were camping, to some older couples. I'm 40 and never did I feel out of place or too old to be here. There was one evening that the festivities were quite loud, but the next night I was the loud one so I couldn't complain.

Overall my stay here was one of the best experiences of the trip. If you aren't a social person there is space to keep to yourself. I don't want to give the impression that you are "forced to be social". Its not that way at all.

Atilla is an amazing host and I can't wait to go back and stay here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 May 2010

Selcuk (Ephesus) is a lovely destination, and Attila's place is where you want to chill. The entire staff is friendly and welcoming and definitely make you feel at home. The English is fluent. Actually Attila has a much more proper accent than my American one. The poolside is heaven, the bar and cushion nooks great for meditating away the day. They pick you up at the bus station, and take you back and forth to town. The rooms are absolutely neat and clean and everything works. Eating the breakfast and dinner family style is enjoyable and the food good, with many breakfast choices. And of course the price. I had a spotless single with bathroom and hot shower as well as two meals for $30. Who could ask for more.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I was supposed to stay at Atilla's for two nights, but ended up staying for four as it was so great. I wish I was there now.

Atilla, Carlos, the family and the dogs have created a small eden overlooking Ephesus - with a brilliant bar, lovely lounges, a perfect, pretty pool (although my god it is cold!), and a really great, warm, friendly atmosphere.

I loved that Atilla's was such a friendly, chilled place: Every evening everyone at the hostel got together, along with the hostel crew and their local friends, to eat the fabulous dinner that the mummies cooked, and then everyone would chill out or party around the fire until the wee hours.

The rooms are basic but nice: they're clean, pleasant, the beds are comfy and my shower was hot and powerful. Great value for money.

One family I met said they hadn't stayed there as it was slightly out of town - but that really wasn't a problem, as the lovely Carlos was happy to pick up or drop people off, it was nice to be slightly out in the country and the views over Selcuk are fabulous!

The only problem with Atilla's Getaway is that it has ruined me for everywhere else. I spent another five days travelling through Turkey and nowhere could come close to being as good as Atilla's - and the friends that I made whilst at Atilla's, that I met later on said the same. We all love Atilla's. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank jennynumpkins
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I have now traveled 20+ countries in Eastern and Western Europe in the past few years and stayed in hostels for every night of my stay. Atilla's Getaway is FAR and away the best. How this is written up as a hotel as opposed to a hostel is beyond me. Not only does it have a fantastic location for backpackers, it was very clean, VERY friendly, relaxing and a place to absolutely absorb the Turkish culture, while being surrounded by fellow travelers from all over the world. Every night they provide a home cooked SO SO DELICIOUS Turkish meal with all of the fellow guests staying at the hostel, but after this get together of making friends and exchanging travel stories, everyone hangs out drinking my personal favorite beer on Earth, Efes. This beer is absolutely unbelievable and Atilla has it on tap to enjoy the night. You will never feel more at home than at Atilla's Getaway being so far away from your actual home. They take care of you, there are sitting areas, a pool, a bar, pool table, hammocks, a ping pong table, and pillows to relax on throughout the property. The food is amazing and breakfast is also included. I HIGHLY recommend Atilla's Getaway, especially if arriving from Greece via ferry, give them more than 24 hours warning and they will pick you up at the port. Even if you arrive at the Kusadasi port, its very easy to get to Selcuk via "Dolmus" (mini bus) and Atilla's will pick you up from the "Dolmus Station" (bus station in Selcuk) Visiting Ephesus is a must, the water park Adaland is fantastic too, and as far as traveling on, i HIGHLY recommend going to Pamulkkale for an afternoon and if you enjoy the outdoors/hiking, then Cappadocia is a MUST! Stay at Atilla's, you will not regret it, and your stay will be incredibly memorable.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Talk about a diamond in the rough!! My friend and I happened on Atilla's based on a Lonely Planet recommendation and are we glad we did, this was probably the best place we stayed on our 12-day trip to Turkey. We were greeted by Rosie (the receptionist during our stay) and immediately felt like we were being welcomed into someone's home. A traditional Turkish dinner is included in the room rate, promptly served at 7:30 every night, with all the guests eating at the picnic tables in the common area. We met some incredibly interesting people from all over the world. After dinner one night, Rosie rounded up about 20 of us for a billiard game.

We got a room with a shared bath and while the rooms are far from a 5-star hotel (we weren't expecting that anyway at the price level), they were clean and exactly what we needed. A bar, swimming pool, pool table, free wifi and same-day laundry service all rounded out the amenities.

If you are the backpacker type and are looking for a "home away from home", I highly recommend staying here!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We called to ask if they had service because it was January and we were told that there was no problem.
Location is good, outside of Selçuk. It is quiet and looks like during the summer must become a party place.
As for winter, I'm afraid they can't give a good service during the winter.
Our room was fine, not small, 3 small beds were there (which eventually became one, since it was so cold, we had to put them together), the heating kind of tried to work, but never got to that point to be honest, so we froze at nights and had to sleep with our down jackets put on (I understand the lack of blankets and covers, but then, they could have said no service these months).
Our first morning, the man (which was not Atilla, ok? I think he was in Australia at the moment, we only saw a picture of him, he looks nice by the way) had called a taxi so it would pick us up to take us to Virgin Mary's house, we woke up, went downstairs ready to have breakfast: nothing... we waited some minutes, and then decided to knock on the door. He said they forgot we were there "sorry"... we got our breakfast and left (30 minutes late) with the guy of the taxi.
We got warm water the first night, the second night it was close to cold, the third night I refused to take a shower anymore, it was COLD (mi cousin refused to take a shower since the night before but even though he got a flu). We addressed the problem but were said it was not possible (I guess that makes us liars, then).
Finally when the time came for us to pay, we were charged more than the rate posted on the website, the reason: the "inside" tips we were supposed to be given (yes, like staying to see the tiny market for a whole day instead of going to the Greek town nearby)
We never knew the name of the man that was taking care of the place while Atilla was gone, he said it was ok if we called him Atilla.. O_o
If I go again, I would prefer to meet Atilla. I guess if I put that I would recommend the place is because the place looks like fun in spring and summer.
What I liked best was the food, the rest I disliked. Sorry.
(So please don't consider it for winter... sometimes one can only make trips during that season...)

• Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank blauerMond
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I recommend strongly this place, very nice close to Ephesus. Free pick up to bus station. Great room/restaurant/bar, swimming pool cleaned every day. Very good quality price. The staff is very friendly and happy to help you. I

• Stayed: August 2009