“Looks good at first, but not for long”

Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights with 2 families with in total three young children (1, 3 &4).

Our first impression was good. The resort looked nice and well maintained and we got our rooms very quickly and the reception was friendly and relaxed. The rooms were nothing fancy, but certainly adequate and clean. Showers were very good (strong water flow and easy to get the right temperature) .Our friends did ask for a room change the next day because of noise from the evening entertainment and got a room on the other side of the building without any problem. So, if you don’t like disco music get a room on the outer side of the resort.

You do only get one room key with which you also switch the power on. This is probably to limit the use of airco’s when people are out, but is quite annoying when you need power for a babyphone when the kids are sleeping and you are at the bar. However, you do get a second room key when you ask at the reception.

The swimming pools at the resort (aquapark is separate) are good, but the slides are only turned on around 10-ish in the morning. And this is of course quite annoying when your children are ready to go swimming at 7 in the morning.
Beach area is quite nice and very quiet during the day.

There is a small gym, but that is a total disgrace. A lot of the equipment is in a very poor state up to the point that it can become dangerous. Seat of the home trainer was loose, footpads of the cross trainer were broken etc.

There are two main restaurants at the resort which serve buffet style food. We mostly used the restaurant in the older part of the resort as it was closer to our rooms, but also less crowded. The food generally looked nice and they take some effort to present it nicely (carved watermelons for example), however, the food itself was rather average, with tastes rather bland and lots of things hopelessly overcooked. The variety seemed great at first but I was glad I only stayed for 5 nights as it already started to get a bit boring after a day or three. Although nobody got any stomach problems and there was always staff busy with cleaning in the restaurants, I had my doubts about hygiene, as there were quite some flies and a lot of food is uncovered and can stand for quite some time. Also some people allowed their children to get their own food, which they grabbed with their hands instead of the cutlery. Also the seats in the restaurant are dangerous, as the veneer of the seats is starting to peel off and is very sharp.

There are also a few ‘a la carte’ restaurants on the resort. You get to use them for free once during your stay. However this ‘a la carte’ is a bit of a farce as the choice is extremely limited (but perhaps this is only the free ‘a la carte’). The atmosphere in the ‘a la carte restaurants is a lot more relaxed than in the big eat factories, so it was a welcome change. You have to book a table way in advance or the ‘a la carte’ restaurants will be fully booked.

The aqua park is quite spectacular. However, it is a major let down that it isn’t inclusive. It isn’t a long walk back to the resort, but with a bunch of kids who want to keep swimming it feels like Napoleons retreat from Moscow. Also the aquapark only opens at 10.30 in the morning which like already mentioned above is not very practical when your kids are up and running very early in the morning. The aquapark opening hours just totally did not match with the rhythm of our children and the lunch hours of the restaurant.

Keep in mind that there is a minimum height requirement (1.20m) for a lot of slides. And this requirement is totally ridiculous for a most of them. On most slides I would have comfortable taken my 4 year old. Normally I would not complain about a park caring about safety but this is over the top. Fortunately for us the kids part of the aquapark kept our children entertained enough for a couple of days, but 7-8 year olds, who can still be below 1.20m, will be bored out of their skulls if they won’t be allowed to ride the big slides.

To sum it up, we had a nice stay, and it certainly isn’t a bad place, but there were just too many small things that should be better.

TIP, if you go, bring INSECT REPELLENT as there are a lot of hungry mosquitoes…..and worse.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Trottlesnot
Kathy_ExcAssistantGM, Manager at Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for such a detailed review about your recent stay here at aqua Fantasy.
We are happy to hear you have liked the swimming pools, the room and the layout.
I appreciate you have pointed some issues out to us, we will take these in consideration.
Thank you again for your feedback, it is only by receiving such constructive feedback that we can continue to deliver our renowned high standards.

We do look forward to welcoming you back, please let our guest relation team know about your future holiday arrangements.

There are newer reviews for Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA

Reviewed 4 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Aqua Fantasy for one week at the end of June and we can literally not fault it. We were a bit skeptical about how the hotel could cater to young adults in terms of activities and entertainment, however, after just a few hours it was clear that we were not going to be bored! To name just a few: water sports, beach parties, fireworks, bowling, bars, aqua fantasy water park etc. The water park was brilliant as it had many slides and you could walk in and out whenever you wanted between 10.30am and 6pm. There was so much food to choose from so we never went hungry and the kebabs were to die for. Our room was located in the World side of the hotel and was spacious, clean and included a jacuzzi, which was a nice extra. The evening entertainment was good and staff are very friendly. On our last night, the entertainment included an awesome beach party along with special cocktails, fireworks and free BBQ! I see some bad reviews regarding the staff, however, 100% of rudeness I witnessed came from the guests! A shout out goes to the First Choice team- extremely helpful and always smiley :) The grounds of the hotel are lovely and very well kept. If you do stay at Aqua Fantasy, I recommend you take a taxi to the popular Kusadasi market on a Wednesday where the locals sell their goods and you can get your 'genuine fakes'. I could write so much more but you'd be reading for hours! Overall, I would definitely recommend Aqua Fantasy Hotel and would return again next year :)

Room Tip: World side is more modern compared to the Club side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JessicaMay94
Kathy_ExcAssistantGM, Manager at Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recommendation and for such a motivating comment for all our team, comments like yours shows us that we are on the right track.
Thank you for highlighting our entertaining and our activities, very much appreciated. It is important for our future guests following us on Tripadvisor to know that we also cater for young adults.
We do look forward to welcoming you back next year, please let our guest relation team know about your future holiday arrangements.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great in all maybe more as 4.5 stars but you will enjoy it. we stayed in the Family suit the bathroom needs some refurbishment. in buffets need more varieties and change from dat to day as you will feel fed-up in the end from eating same food everyday. But still your kids will definitely will enjoy it.

2  Thank Na A

Dear Guest,
Thank you so very much for your short and motivating moment. It is so nice to hear you had a great holiday. Thank you for pointing out some issues to us, we will do our best to do something about them.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My wonderful partner booked himself and I a week at this hotel back in May. Neither of us knew what to expect as we had never been to Turkey before but boy did this place deliver!

So many activities to join in with and the fact you can use the excellent water park for free... AWESOME!

The staff were absolutely amazing, my partner joined in with a lot of the activities that were on offer (I was too busy catching some rays!) But they still made the effort to speak to us and see how we were doing whenever they could.

My only quibble would be the buffet, it was just a bit boring but all inclusive hotels are always the same so you just deal with it, we certainly didn't go hungry by any means!

We never had a problem finding a sunbed, although that said I'd imagine that would be quite a different story in the height of summer.

The disco and entertainment each evening was always a giggle so make sure you don't miss out. The disco even allows children if you fancy a boogey one night :-)

Another thing we were disappointed by was that they had no shisha on site but we got a bus into Kusadasi a few times and found a lovely little cafe there. It was great!

Also you MUST check out Planet Yucca which is a fantastic restaurant in Kusadasi. The owner is at the hotel every day taking bookings and they offer a free bus service there and back. It's a great evening with live music and yummy food (a change from that buffet!)

I like to explore new places so won't be a few years til I go back, but back I shall certainly go!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank amy s

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for such a fabulous review about your recent stay here at Aqua Fantasy. I’m thrilled to read that you enjoyed our layout and ambience and happy to read that the efforts of our staff were highly appreciated.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you back in future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I have recently just came back from aqua fantasy had a really good holiday. The water park is fab for kids hotel is lovely as well. Food needs improving something for everyone not enough choices an very repetitive also ice cream should be free longer than 2 hours a day as it's a kids hotel Love the way if u buy stuff in water park just charge to ye room key don't need to carry money on ye
Will be going again waiting for me lil fella to be taller for all the slides

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank kelluca
Kathy_ExcAssistantGM, Manager at Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so very much for your short and motivating moment. It is so nice to hear you had a fab holiday.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just arrived home after a week stay at Aquafantasy. I rely heavily on trip advisor reviews when booking a holiday so I will try and repay the favour by being as honest as I can with both the positives and the negatives of the hotel. First for the positives:

This is a paradise for children, plain and simple. My husband and I travelled with our 3 1/2 yr old daughter and she thoroughly enjoyed every moment of her stay there. The water park is fabulous but the hotel slides should not be overlooked, as they were fantastic. There are so many pools and slides within the hotel grounds that are just right for little ones, the water depth is just right so that they can go down the slides and not get submerged into deep water. You can always find a sun bed and the grounds are very well kept.
The temperature reached 43 degrees during our stay and I am pleased to say that this is a hotel where the air con in your room actually works!!!! Thank goodness!! We stayed on the world side of the hotel and found the rooms to be of a good standard.

On to the negatives:

Ok so this may be dependent on personal taste but I didn't find there to be much variety with the food. I am not a fussy eater at all but even I got a bit fed up by the end of the week. Don't get me wrong, there was loads to chose from but everything seemed to taste the same. Like I say it is all down to personal taste, however, the one thing that really was unbearable was constantly observing children and adults alike tasting food and putting it back for general consumption by others. I saw this at least 3 times!! On one occasion a child quite literally 'licked' the icing sugar off some donuts on a tray and casually wandered off leaving other people to eat them and all of this was in front of his mother!!! I couldn't believe it.

Staff are very hit and miss. Some of them are very friendly and really do a good job, especially in that heat. Others really could not care less and quite frequently found myself being ignored at the bar in preference of others and if your expecting common courtesy from your fellow guests to take their turn... You will be waiting even longer!!! You don't have to take my word for it on this. On our last day we witnessed one of the senior staff for entertainment 'Simon sez' tearing strips off his entertainment staff for being so unprofessional in front of the guests. Reception staff...oh dear. I would have better chance at raising the dead than raising a smile out of them. They were very dismissive and seeing as they are the front of house staff they really need to work on this.
Speaking of entertainment, this was mediocre. They use their own staff for the entertainment and guest participation rather than bringing in outside acts. It was..ok. Other hotels I have stayed in have hired outside acts and they were amazing!!! Aquafantasy need to up their game here as it got quite boring by the end of the week.

Slides are shut in the hotel between 12 and 14:00... This is a pain as my daughter couldn't understand why she couldn't go on them during this time..neither can I.

Ice creams: Only available between 12:30 and 14:30 and only in the main restaurants, so if you want to eat it any where other then the restaurant you find it has melted by the time you get it back to the poolside. If you want to have a ice cream without getting dressed to have it in the restaurant then you have to put your hand in your pocket.

Wifi: if you go upstairs above the tropicana restaurant then you can access free wifi but it is very hit and miss. Otherwise to use it anywhere else I the hotel you have to pay. It costs two euros..not a bad price but just annoying when you have already paid so much for your holiday.

Finally, would I go again? Yes I would, but for my daughter, not for me. She enjoyed it so much it outweighed the negatives. Maybe I am a 'snob' but I don't think a smile from the staff, eating food that has already been 'tested' by others and a little more generosity with the ice creams is too much to ask.

11  Thank kaz20893

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your informative comments and appreciate all feedback, be that positive or constructive. We are happy to read you have enjoyed our Aquapark, pools and slides. As you mentioned it :” a paradise for children”.
I am sorry to hear the food wasn’t your taste. Aqua Fantasy provides a wide variety of food considering the multinational and multicultural make up of our guests. We do our best to keep the buffet clean and I am happy you realize everything we are doing and it is up to the parents to watch their children.
I am sorry to read that our entertainment concept did not meet with your expectations. All of our staff work extremely hard to make sure all our guests are having a great time. But i just would like to mention that the vast majority of reviews are extremely complimentary about our animation and entertainment department.
Regarding our all-inclusive concept i believe this is clearly communicated in all the promotional material about the hotel and the brochure/web description.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I just returned from a vacation with my family from there. Some things that happened there made me to write a letter directly to the official email of the hotel while I was still there. Here is the entire text of this email. I hope someone will find it usefull.

-----
My name is Ivan Yosifov. I am here on a vacation with my family, my wife Krasimira and my 2 years old daughter Martina. Our vacation was organized by Emerald travel agency. We arrived on Saturday, 21st of June 2014. Our first impressions about the entire complex were that everything looks perfect. Unfortunately, this didn’t went better. Our travel agency had organized a very early in the morning flight to Turkey and because of this, we arrived at the hotel at about 10:00 am. After about 6 hours of traveling, we were told that we have to wait until 14:00 pm in the lobby when the earliest check-in will be available. Prior our arrival to Aqua Fantasy, we were informed about the late hour of check-in, but we were expecting that at least for families like us with very small children, there will be some options (even if this costs something) to leave our bags in a secure place, have a place to change our clothes or for the children to have some sleep. The same thing is valid for the check-out. On the day of our leaving from Turkey, our plane has to leave late in the evening, and we are supposed to leave the room at 12:00. This wasn’t told to us when we arrived and if we hadn’ t though about it, we would have to leave our bags in the lobby and would have no place for our daughter to have her afternoon sleep. The good thing in this situation was that the hotel offers late check-out when paying some amount of money and we took advantage of this.

When we did our check in and went to our room, we decided to ignore the bad impression that we had from the late check-in and to enjoy our holiday. When we walked around and got familiar with the complex, we had to admit that everything looks perfect. Everything looks clean, there is a number of place to have fun and relaxfull holiday for the entire family. The staff was nice, fast, helpful and looks diligent. But of course there were some minor things that were making the entire picture not so perfect. For example, the kids club accepts only kids at the age of 4 or above. At home, our 2 years old daughter is visiting a Children day care and is used to the fact that she won’t be with us for a couple of hours. I think that it would be good for the hotel to have such children groups or babysitting services for a couple of hours in order the parents to have possibility to enjoy the aqua park. So far (our last day here prior leaving), we haven’t tried all the slides the aqua park, because some them are only for two persons. Some other things that were not satisfying were that the kids slides are working between 10-12 and 14-17 o’clock which I don’t thing is very practical, since most of the small childs are taking an afternoon sleep between 14-16,17 o’clock. Also, the mini golf closes at 17:30, which is too early. I think that it should work at least until 19-20 o’clock.

The thing that shocked us and completely changed our mind happened yesterday – 25.06.2014 on the passage between 2200 and 2300 building. While having a walk on the alley, we saw a BIG snake passing the alley from one bush to another. I suppose it was adder about 1,5 meters long. The snake passed the alley from one bush to another. We went on the reception desk and told about that to the person there. We were told that it will be taken care of and exterminators will be send. We were also told that it is known that snakes appear in this area and it is a known problem. We were satisfied to some extend from the answer of the hotel employee and continued our walk. After half an hour we were on the minigolf playground, where our 2 years old daughter was playing with a ball. Right at the middle of the gold field, on the place where she was just few seconds ago, I saw another, very small snake. Seconds ago I was taking pictures of Martina and my wife and my camera was prepared to shoot, so I quickly filmed the snake. I intend to upload it in youtube.com so if the management of the hotel wants to see it I can send a link to it. I grabbed a towel that was nearby and trew over the snake and tried to smash it before it runs away. Two members of the hotel staff came nearby and help to kill it. When it was finally dead, me, my wife and my daughter went straight to the reception desk and showed the film of the second snake. We were told that if we want we can file a complaint as we did although there is no reason to worry, because most probably this wasn’t a poisons snake. That was a really terrible experience. Even though might had been poisons they can make serious injuries like allergies, sore and etc. especially on little children which tries to touch everything new. After the first notice we were asked for the room number and were told that when actions are taken we will be informed. By now, 24 hours had passed and a second snake on a video and nobody had informed us about any action taken.

Two snakes in a 5 star hotel for less than an hour, where so many little children are playing is awful. We were considering to come back later in the summer with several friends but at the moment we are reconsidering this. For your information, as I said before, I intend to upload the video to youtube.com and to several social networks and to put some explanations similar to the one written here. I also intend to send this feedback to our traveling agency. If there really is a snake problem, the people has to be informed and everyone has to make his own decision either to visit Aqua fantasy or not.

I work in an area of business that in which I have constant contacts with clients from around the world and I know how important the feedback is. If I don’t receive any answer to this feedback, I will consider that the problems mentioned here are ignored same as my feedback.

------

p.s.
Just FYI, 3 days later after sending this letter and writing this, I haven't received any answer/response.

6  Thank Ivan_Yosifov

Dear Ivan Yosifov,
First of all thank you very much for taking the time to share your detailed review. We would like to thank you for your informative comments and appreciate all feedback, be that positive or constructive. We are happy to read you had a good holiday and have enjoyed the Hotel grounds.
Apparently you have send us a mail during your stay, but i am sorry to say that i haven’t received it. Just for your information and for our future guests following us on Tripadvisor. We are at the Mediterranean region and the natural habitat does include snakes. Thankfully they are not poisonous ones, and completely harmless. As The Hotel we are doing our best to keep them out, but occasionally we have some coming in.
Also we want to thank you for mentioning the check-in time, as it is important to know that 12.00 o’clock is our check-out time and 14.00 is our check-in time. Sometimes you might be able to get the room earlier and you can get a late check-out with an extra cost. For our guests who are checking out at 12.00, we have showers and lockers avaliable down stairs.
Regarding our Croco kids club, children can come by the age of 4. As we are a family Hotel and one third of our guests are children, we don’t have a babysitting service, all for their safety.
Thank you for mentioning some other issues, as mentioned in one of my previous answers, we have sorted it out.
Please let me know if there is anything else i can do for you: kathynys@aquafantasy.com

Kathy Nys

Also consider these accommodations in or near Selcuk
Palm Wings Ephesus
Paloma Pasha Resort
#2 of 11 in Ozdere
Richmond Ephesus Resort
Labranda Ephesus Princess

Been to Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA? Share your experiences!