“avoid - stay at the Dan / King Sol / anywhere but here (but shout out to the Vitalis Spa staff)”

Herods Palace Hotel Eilat
Ranked #8 of 61 Hotels in Eilat
Reviewed 30 April 2014

An absolute farce unfortunately. I have spent more holidays in Eilat than I can remember and have often wondered about staying here. It is after all priced at the absolute top end of Eilat hotels and I assumed service would correspond. We stayed for 3 nights at $500 a night in a club room on top floor as this was only availability. Of course the gifts / robes / slippers that are promised for this room (not that they justify the cost) were completely absent. I didn't care enough to complain. They make you sign up front for NIS1000 deposit, which given the cost of the room is not something I have ever had to do and made an uncomfortable first impression. This is to allow you to charge to your room. Which of course I was unable to do any time I tried, much to my frustration, due to some clerical error which of course no one bothered to resolve. Staff were generally disinterested and unhelpful. I had a guy pick out a random English speaking guest from the dinner buffet to come help him deal with (yet another) problem providing what had been ordered - beyond belief.

There is no point going in to a blow by blow account of how every single interaction with staff filled me with dread, knowing that I would have to follow up and likely involve a manager before anything I asked for was dealt with. I wrote a formal complaint to Leonardo who own the chain and they have completely ignored it, hence my writing here. I am not one to vent and generally understand people do their best, and mistakes happen. The attitude of staff at Herod's unfortunately appears to be completely ingrained in the culture of the hotel and I would advise any of my family and friends to avoid at all costs. By comparison, the Dan has always been a complete contrast and is not more expensive. I would never go back to Herod's - for the price the Dan is infinitely better and I would frankly rather stay at the Crowne Plaza / KSP for much less money and a more pleasant experience. Nice as the hotel is, you will never have a 5 star experience here.

My only exception would be the Spa, where staff were friendly and proactively helpful - a rare and welcome reminder of what you expect from a 5* hotel at those rates

7  Thank biz-hol-traveller

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The pool area, boardwalk location, picturesque setting with the Red Sea and the surrounding red toned mountains are gorgeous. We've the hotel and found the Cardo of stores and restaurants perfect. The buffet breakfast was humongous! And beautifully laid out. One complaint; they threw together a breakfast box of pitas and apples even though a full breakfast was ordered properly the day before our tour. We were.very disappointed because we knew what we were missing, The breakfast. was included with our room rates nd they said coffee had to be charged to my room before we checked out. As if coffee at 7:00 isn't a normal part of breakfast.

Room Tip: Pool or sea view. Unless you are a night owl, avoid the noise as music plays near a Tamarind Exit.
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We had the opportunity to stay a couple nights at Herod's Palace, Elat, Israel, last month. What a great hotel! To start, we were with a large group but check in was quick and easy. In our room, we were surprised to find a complimentary bottle of wine, a bottle of water, fruit, & some snack wafers on the coffee table. And the room? A spacious bedroom with plenty of closet & drawer space, a balcony with two chaises for lounging, a comfortable living room with frig and teapot for tea or coffee. The hotel in general is luxurious with numerous beautifully decorated sitting areas. I loved the gazelle statuary that was everywhere - especially the one that appeared to be jumping through the glass into the building!! The food was fantastic in selection and taste. I don't know how anyone could expect a larger or more varied selection. The view of the sea was spectacular and the entire hotel/shop complex is incredible. Though we had no interaction with staff, the hotel Wifi was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ohsuzyq10
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Modern spacious room, huge bed. There is a kettle in the room. Food is very varied and very tasty. Huge main pool.Stunning view from the balcony.You can lie in bed and see the sea.Generous service in all departments.Great cakes at the coffeeshop.

Room Tip: high floor
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Most of the staff is unfriendly and not willing to help you. Check-in took over 20 minutes because of the incompetence of the employee. The first night there was a party going on next to our room and we had to call security to make it stop. At the pool a lot of guests wering smoking joints and drinking a lot and making a lot of noise. Wireless internet didn't work at our room and still we had to pay for it. This hotel is mostly used in the weekends (Friday and Saturday in Israel) by rich Israeleans who come there to party (drinking/smoking joints and loud).

1  Thank Rene1604
Reviewed 24 March 2014

While the vacation started a little bitter taste because of problems with our order, but once Elmer - evening shift manager - took the responsibility and care we got everything we ordered and even more. Big Bonus - we met an exemplary human being we always remember.

Best season, not a tourist. A wonderful holiday we enjoyed it every minute.

We were in the VIP suite, high floor, Breakfast in the dining room is small and spa entry every day - this package really recommended.
Improves spa vacation this season - not hot. Not sure takes the spa during the summer.

Food: We took half board. Selection was great. As a vegan - dining room staff helped with everything possible and find solutions.
There are some things negatively in the dining room: vegetables were not always fresh, there was not a selection of fruit, serving of salad was very uncomfortable.

The hotel is very large, and some of the time the lifts were not effective and they had to wait a very long time. Who bothers him noise, ask for a high floor because the the evening the lobby music very loud.
Who cares double bed and not two mattresses connected, insists on it and check the moment of arrival to the room. For us it was very important and we had a big mess with them. Although we've gotten to note that the reservation in advance.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at Herods in March '14 and from the minute we arrived to the time we left we were made to feel really special. The reception staff were incredibly helpful and went out of their way to ensure the time we were there was totally memorable. The service was very friendly, relaxed, and professional. The pool areas were totally laid back and relaxing and the food is diet destroying! The location on the north beach is also unbeatable. Although we had been in Israel before, we had never been to Eilat - staying at Herods has ensured we'll certainly be returning and there will only be one place we'll be staying (for twice as long next time) Herods. Thanks guys for an amazing stay.